Proposal: Lee Stempniak

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
What would you think about the B's acquiring Stempniak from the Flames? It would make sense for him to go to Boston, as he trains in Salem, NH during the summers. Heis on pace for totals of 20-45-65 (in an 82-game season) and could slot in on our 3rd-line. He'd be a ton cheaper than Iginla as well.

What would you offer? My guess is that they could get a deal done for a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I disagree. His one positive is he can snipe. His negative is he is slow defensively and floats like crazy. Not a player for whom Claude would have use methinhks.

Were disagreeing a lot today, I'd wager the last way he's described is a sniper. He's had some modest offensive success but.....I like his willingness to drive and stay in front of the net but..I would have no issues with him on this team but I sure wouldn't be looking at him to produce a ton of goals. Pevs lite without as strong defensive play

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I don't want the Bruins to have anything to do with Stempniak. I don't like him as a player, I never have. I have always thought of him as a player who is ok as a 2nd or 3rd liner on a bad team.

Marty McInnis had a few 20 goal seasons too, that doesn't mean he was anything other than a bad player for the Bruins.

A Healthy Kelly*

Were disagreeing a lot today, I'd wager the last way he's described is a sniper. He's had some modest offensive success but.....I like his willingness to drive and stay in front of the net but..I would have no issues with him on this team but I sure wouldn't be looking at him to produce a ton of goals. Pevs lite without as strong defensive play

Not to seem presumptuous, so my apologies in advance, but how much have you seen Stempniak play?

I'm not supporting the idea of this trade, as I agree as a difference-maker he'd be marginal, but that being said I think he and Pevs are vastly dissimilar players, apart from maybe statistically. Stempniak is a much better finisher and is much less responsible defensively. I also think he's a much better skater than Peverley (I have no basis for this, just judging visually).

I think he could be successful with Krejci, but certainly not a player that I would think is on Chia's radar atm. I think he could produce if given the opportunity with a decent center, but yeah he is a pass first guy. I think the difference is that Peverley is pass first by necessity, whereas Stempniak could be a great finisher.

Also just arguing for the sake of discussion because this is a far-fetched proposal, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad