Lecavalier: What are the options?

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I think its fair to day most Flyer fans want Lecavalier gone. What are the options of getting rid of him.

1. Trade him - almost impossible
2. Buy him out - what are the cap reprecussions?
3. Put him in minors? - what are the cap reprecussions?
4. pray he retires
5. other?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
have him fake his death, send him and his family to live happily ever after on a tropical island and celebrate that he is finally off of our cap.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I think its fair to day most Flyer fans want Lecavalier gone. What are the options of getting rid of him.

4. pray he retires
5. other?

#4 is the correct answer. As you guessed, the cap repercussions of a buyout are bad. We can't put him in the minors. He has a full no move clause.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Off topic a bit, I saw on cbc pre game that because Clarkson has 20 mill in bonuses, he can not be bought out ? Is that true ?

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012

4. pray he retires
5. other?

Have to pray he retires. They can not buy him out now it would be catastrophic. Can't see how he would want to endure another season like this. If he has any self respect he retires in the off season

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He's going to retire before the end of the contract. It's just a matter of when. I can't imagine he enjoys centering the fourth line on his way to a sub 30 point season on a bottom feeder. Hopefully he decides he's had enough this summer and hangs up the skates. If not, I'd still rather just let him live out the rest of his NHL days next season on the fourth line or in the press box. We're not going to be good next year and I can't imagine Vinny'll be up for another year after going through 3 years of hell.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they can't trade him this summer after they pay his $2m signing bonus , then he'll probably be here till retires. Unlike Umberger, a buyout doesn't really make sense.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
It might be possible to trade him if there's a GM at the other end who isn't paying attention. Think about the Hartnell Umberger trade. This was a trade which, despite who won, was heavily, massively influenced by salary.

All I'm saying is lots of things are possible. When you think about the big picture, who really knows what these bigshots are actually thinking?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I'm hoping Blue and Hawks add at deadline and Preds make a move. Maybe Add Read to Vinny to entice a deal and get a better return

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
He's going to retire before the end of the contract. It's just a matter of when. I can't imagine he enjoys centering the fourth line on his way to a sub 30 point season on a bottom feeder. Hopefully he decides he's had enough this summer and hangs up the skates. If not, I'd still rather just let him live out the rest of his NHL days next season on the fourth line or in the press box. We're not going to be good next year and I can't imagine Vinny'll be up for another year after going through 3 years of hell.

Trouble is, Berube is giving the "4th" line prime minutes. Why would Lecavalier be feeling bad about the role he is playing at the moment?

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Trouble is, Berube is giving the "4th" line prime minutes. Why would Lecavalier be feeling bad about the role he is playing at the moment?

Playing next to VandeVelde for a whole season should be enough to get anyone to retire. To say nothing of having to play with Rinaldo.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I think we find a spot for him. He hadn't been all that terrible lately and has been playing well on the offensive side of the puck. The saucer pass tonight was filthy. I still think Nashville and Florida are two good landing spots

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Is this something reasonable for next year?

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Cousins-Lecavalier-Leier

Trade block would include: Matt Read, R.J Umberger, Vincent Lecavalier

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Cousins-Lecavalier-Leier

Switch Umberger and leier and I love those lines (for what we have)

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Cousins-Lecavalier-Leier

Yuck. Besides Simmonds and Voracek - those wingers suck. Schenn and Raffle are ok - Umberger, Read, Cousins, Leier - no thanks. Not to mention the multi million dollar paperweight at 4th line center. Any respectable coach wouldn't dress that guy no matter how much money he makes. TOO SLOW.

Morin, Haag and Ghost aren't going to be enough to get that team into the playoffs next season. They'll be almost as bad as they are now.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-Couturier-Read
Cousins-Lecavalier-Leier

As someone previously mentioned, that group of wingers is brutal. Also, because I'm seeing this a lot, what has Laughton done to be the 2C over Couturier? Maybe I'm seeing something different.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
We won't know what happens with Lecavalier until we address the coaching situation in the offseason. Once a new coach is brought in, i'm sure he will discuss with Lecavalier how he intends on using him. After that conversation, I can see Vinny retiring.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As someone previously mentioned, that group of wingers is brutal. Also, because I'm seeing this a lot, what has Laughton done to be the 2C over Couturier? Maybe I'm seeing something different.

You are it the only one.

Laughton should be put in a defensive role....like Couts was and Couts should be moved to an offensive role instead. Especially when we face teams with no dominant center.

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007

He is getting nearly 14 mins a night on average. The problem is his production (.25 ppg or there abouts). At 4.5 m, that is a hard pill to swallow. Line shuffling, line mates and all that with-standing, at this juncture, the ROI is not a good proposition.

Hartnell and Umberger make the same money (and as much as I hate Umberger for the money, I hate VLC even more).

VanFlyer

Feb 18, 2007
You are it the only one.

Laughton should be put in a defensive role....like Couts was and Couts should be moved to an offensive role instead. Especially when we face teams with no dominant center.

Why??? If Coots is the best at it in perhaps the entire league, why do you change that??? Sure he has offensive upside (two nearly 100pt seasons in his last two years in the QMJHL- last one when he had mono), but if you have a premiere shut down - selke candidate- centermen, why do you want to change him????

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00