Lecavalier over Staal, Spezza, Marleau?

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Lecavalier has a Stanley Cup ring and was the 2004 World Cup MVP. He is almost unmatched in the league for combining skill and size.

Does that answer your question?

Flyguy_1ca

Apr 12, 2005
BC, Canada
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Someone explain this one to me.

I got no problem with Vinny being on the team...he led canada in scoring at the world cup and also scored the winning goal. He's not doing that bad this year either...there's bigger questions on this team than Vinny (Bert, Doan etc)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Vincent quite simply has played hockey for Canada before, and is going to get the spot anyways based on talent or not. It's VERY hard to oust and incumbent from a spot, especially if he has performed moderately well in it.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
God Bless Canada said:
Lecavalier has a Stanley Cup ring and was the 2004 World Cup MVP. He is almost unmatched in the league for combining skill and size.

Does that answer your question?

I was under the impression you got the job for how you were doing "now", as opposed to "then". He's no slouch, but looking at Staal, Marleau, and Spezza this season.. It just seems peculiar, not nearly as Pejorative Slured as Blake instead of McCabe, but weird.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Really what gave you that impression? Looking at the team I would say that impression is dead wrong. I believe that the team is selected based on how well they are expected to play in the olympics.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Rush5Collapse5 said:
I was under the impression you got the job for how you were doing "now", as opposed to "then". He's no slouch, but looking at Staal, Marleau, and Spezza this season.. It just seems peculiar, not nearly as Pejorative Slured as Blake instead of McCabe, but weird.
There's a lot more to it than just what you're doing now. Gretzky rewards people for their contributions to Canada's past success. And for good reason. We need people on the team with a past history of getting the job done. I love Spezza, but he has a spotty track record in clutch situations. Marleau was invisible vs. Calgary in the 2004 playoffs, and didn't play a game in the 2004 World Cup.

I'd have Blake ahead of McCabe, too. Blake isn't the player he was two years ago, but he's still a good power play quarterback who battles hard in the corners and can still dish out a crunching open ice hit. McCabe has been a liability at 5-on-5.

Blake also has a Cup ring, two World championships and an Olympic gold. He would have been on the World Cup team if not for injuries.

With his track record for success, born winners like Gretzky, Lowe and Tambellini definitely deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
This is the second goofy thread this guy has made.

LeCavalier is averaging over a point-per-game. Unlike Shane Doan.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Nihilism said:
This is the second goofy thread this guy has made.

LeCavalier is averaging over a point-per-game. Unlike Shane Doan.

Shane Doan has a role, and with regards to the other thread, Canada already has 5309895835 stay at homes.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Caniacforever said:
Vincent quite simply has played hockey for Canada before, and is going to get the spot anyways based on talent or not. It's VERY hard to oust and incumbent from a spot, especially if he has performed moderately well in it.
Yeah, god knows it has nothing to do with him being talented or anything. He was MVP of the World Cup, how is that "moderately well"?

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
He was one of the best players for the Lightning in their cup run and voted player of the tournament in the World Cup. The other three have not done as well as Vinny has in big time situations. No way any of those three should have made it over Lecavalier. Two months of better play in the regular season earns you a spot on an all-star team, not an olympic team. A guy like Marleau should not get in over Lecavalier just because he has 5 more points than Lecavalier in the regular season.

If you're going to use look at just this season, then why no thread about Iginla or Sakic being on the team over those three? :dunno:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Someone explain this one to me.

what do you care? you're from San Fran.

that wasn't meant to be rude either. i just figured being from the States you'd be more worried about who's going to push around Chelios' wheelchair on the ice...

that said, I'd gladly take Vinny over the 3 you listed. for all we know, they're one hit wonders, and Lecavalier, at the last major international tournament, was the MVP. no way he gets left off the list.

as for taking McCabe over Blake...are you seriuos? crappy as Blake has been, McCabe should thank his lucky stars he made the reserve list. there's more to hockey than putting points on the board, and every other defenseman on the Canadian team is better than McCabe, bar none.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
AvsGuy said:
what do you care? you're from San Fran.

that wasn't meant to be rude either. i just figured being from the States you'd be more worried about who's going to push around Chelios' wheelchair on the ice...

that said, I'd gladly take Vinny over the 3 you listed. for all we know, they're one hit wonders, and Lecavalier, at the last major international tournament, was the MVP. no way he gets left off the list.

as for taking McCabe over Blake...are you seriuos? crappy as Blake has been, McCabe should thank his lucky stars he made the reserve list. there's more to hockey than putting points on the board, and every other defenseman on the Canadian team is better than McCabe, bar none.

Check the title again. Marleau's on my home team swift. Patty should be in that "taxi cab" along with the others.

What was that crack about Chelios? I didn't pick the rosters. You think I didn't want Paul Martin or Leetch instead? Besides, coming from a guy who's team went with two convicts, some golden aged geritol slurping grinders over two of the best centers this year, and who's team captain is like what.. 74 now, the quip wasn't quite as potent as I'm sure you hoped it was.

Diffuser

Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Check the title again. Marleau's on my home team swift. Patty should be in that "taxi cab" along with the others.

What was that crack about Chelios? I didn't pick the rosters. You think I didn't want Paul Martin or Leetch instead? Besides, coming from a guy who's team went with two convicts , some golden aged geritol slurping grinders over two of the best centers this year, and who's team captain is like what.. 74 now, the quip wasn't quite as potent as I'm sure you hoped it was.

Not cool man. The guy was clearly not attempting to be offensive. It was simply a humorous shot towards an aging Chelios, not you. You have no grounds to call Bertuzzi or Heatley, who have both done everything they could to atone for what they did, convicts. You make me sick.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Not intended as a smear guy. They were both in trouble with the law - I was pointing to the Canadian Olympic Committee not being too happy with Bertuzzi or Heatley being selected over their sordid past. Be "sick" with them.

I have no beef with Heatley, that was all accidental.

Bertuzzi isn't exactly my "fav" player though. I'll keep it diplomatic, and leave it at that.

Last edited:

bhj

Mar 10, 2004
If you watched World Cup 2004,

The goal he scored in OT was simply breathtaking...

SoCalSharkzFan

Jun 24, 2004
The True Man's World
Hockeyfan02 said:
He was one of the best players for the Lightning in their cup run and voted player of the tournament in the World Cup. The other three have not done as well as Vinny has in big time situations. No way any of those three should have made it over Lecavalier. Two months of better play in the regular season earns you a spot on an all-star team, not an olympic team. A guy like Marleau should not get in over Lecavalier just because he has 5 more points than Lecavalier in the regular season.

If you're going to use look at just this season, then why no thread about Iginla or Sakic being on the team over those three? :dunno:

You do know that for the majority of the season, Marleau has been playing with nobody's? During these last 8 games with 16 points, he's been playing with 2 rookies: Grant Stevenson, and Milan Michalek who isnt producing yet. Marleau has also played 2 less games.

Who does Lecavalier play on a line with again.... the reigning: Art Ross/Hart Trophy/Lester B Pearson award winner? In any event... Michalek and Stevenson....

Also, before Thornton even got here, Marleau still had more points then, than Doan has now...

missK

Aug 1, 2002
Lightning country
Visit site
SoCalSharkzFan said:
Who does Lecavalier play on a line with again.... the reigning: Art Ross/Hart Trophy/Lester B Pearson award winner? In any event... Michalek and Stevenson....

WRONG!!! Get your facts straight so you can support your side of the issue. Vinny does NOT play on the line with St. Louis, he plays with Fedotenko and Prospal. FYI - St. Louis plays with Richards and Modin.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Caniacforever said:

Lecavalier is one of the best players in the world and he was a BIG reason Canada won the World Cup. Perhaps you should point your Staal angst towards other players(ie. Doan, Draper). I think Staal should be on the team too but not at the expense of Lecavalier.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
SoCalSharkzFan said:

Please stop posting and unplug your internet cable until you learn what you are talking about.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Rush5Collapse5 said:

What was that crack about Chelios? I didn't pick the rosters. You think I didn't want Paul Martin or Leetch instead? Besides, coming from a guy who's team went with two convicts, some golden aged geritol slurping grinders over two of the best centers this year, and who's team captain is like what.. 74 now, the quip wasn't quite as potent as I'm sure you hoped it was.

sooo...i'm gonna let your reply speak for itself.

any witty retort about my explanation for Lecavalier? you pretty much nailed it on the head in the paragraph above, i guess: "two of the best centers this year". THIS YEAR. they have proven ZILCH. when the Gold Medal at the Olympics is on the line, give me an international tournament MVP ANYDAY over guys who have never done jack at the international level.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
SoCalSharkzFan said:
You do know that for the majority of the season, Marleau has been playing with nobody's? During these last 8 games with 16 points, he's been playing with 2 rookies: Grant Stevenson, and Milan Michalek who isnt producing yet. Marleau has also played 2 less games.

Also, before Thornton even got here, Marleau still had more points then, than Doan has now...

What do line mates for the last 2 months have anything to do with the selection of team Canada? I don't know who Marleau has been playing with and judging by your post you don't know who Lecavalier is playing with so I guess were even.

Were linemates a factor when Lecavalier went from one of the last guys picked to earning his spot on the squad by impressing the coaching staff to tournament MVP while Marleau lost his spot and watched from the pressbox? 5 more points in the regular season does not erase what Lecavalier did in the playoffs for the Lightning, Canada in the world cup, and that Lecavalier has 3 seasons with a higher point total than Marleau's career high.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Rush5Collapse5 said:

Management of the team were very clear, experience at Olympics or the World Cup was a huge item when considering the players.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
flambers said:
Management of the team were very clear, experience at Olympics or the World Cup was a huge item when considering the players.

I know..

2k6canolt7jw.jpg

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Why having a comitee to choose the players since Hockey Canada should base themselve only with the points so far this season???

a computer could do the job... no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad