LeBrun: if Crosby wins back-to-back that elevates him above Toews

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I heard the entire segment live. My issue waan't with what the OP said, but with Lebrun complinmenting Crosby's defensive play but then saying "He's Toews with a little better offense". Yes, he actually said that. Toews isn't in the same universe as Crosby offensively.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Crosby could turn around and shoot the puck bar down on Murray in game 7 OT, and still be miles above Toews

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
That whole segment is so dumb. He actually also says: Crosby, if he wins four more games, can be the only guy with back to back cups. Like what? This is exactly the same fallacy of intangibly captaining people to do things that keeps this ridiculous Toews hype going in the first place. Other people on that team did things last year and are doing things this year. Evgeni Malkin is a human person that exists. They do not award the Cup to the captain only.

I mentioned this in the version of this thread on the playoff board, but there's a segment of the hockey media (and fans) that totally buy into the "captaincy myth", i.e. that the captain has an enormous, outsized influence on winning and losing beyond what they bring as a player.

There's also a sizable group of fans and media that act like hockey started in 2005, and "can be the only guy with back to back cups" is definitely something you'd hear from that crowd.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
FWIW, they said it would put him over Toews as a winner, not as a player.

This was in the context of their saying Crosby has changed the game like Bobby Orr did.

So they managed to both overrate and underrate Crosby at the same time. What a brutally stupid segment.

TSN for ya. Been riding Crosby since day one.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
10.5m cap hit for a guy that in the last 2 season has averaged about 58pts. I get it, he does more, but imagine that cap hit in another 2yrs...yiiikes. People mock the Ovechkin one, but man this one is worse.

So what would have been your idea then? Let your #1C and captain go? After he's lead you to the best run of franchise success in 50 years. :shakehead :rolleyes:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
So what would have been your idea then? Let your #1C and captain go? After he's lead you to the best run of franchise success in 50 years. :shakehead :rolleyes:

No get him to take maybe 8-8.5 million per year. Convince him they won't be in a cap crunch if he takes less. He would still be a top ten paid player with said cap.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
FWIW, they said it would put him over Toews as a winner, not as a player.

This was in the context of their saying Crosby has changed the game like Bobby Orr did.

So they managed to both overrate and underrate Crosby at the same time. What a brutally stupid segment.

How on earth did they attempt to justify this claim? :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How on earth did they attempt to justify this claim? :laugh:

Basically they said that guys all play two ways and work out a lot now, and Crosby is the reason I guess. There was also a clumsy argument that Crosby changed the whole conversation around who the best player is and how the only way to pass Crosby is to play like Crosby... but better.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Basically they said that guys all play two ways and work out a lot now, and Crosby is the reason I guess. There was also a clumsy argument that Crosby changed the whole conversation around who the best player is and how the only way to pass Crosby is to play like Crosby... but better.
The Bobby Orr comparison is ridiculous and not true. But theoretically they aren't wrong.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

All I can say is :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad