The Athletic LeBrun: How Ralph Krueger plans to unlock the vast potential in Buffalo when many before have failed

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Great read. Can tell he really thinks/looks at the game differently than any coach we have had in the past.

Really liked the part of taking pressure off of Eichel so we can play his game. Pretty honest about how he has been trying to do too much and hasn’t been having much success doing that.

Definitely a lot of things to like about the article for sure.

Beyond the aforementioned expresso machine, it seems that the levels of communication in both directions will be vastly improved. I love the talk about Ralph being open and honest. And he is giving players a clean slate.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Pierre LeBrun:
"Think of Montreal last season. The Canadiens went from a disastrous 2017-18 season to surprising everyone with a 96-point season which was based on a metamorphosis in their style of play — they became more aggressive, faster, tougher to play against and fun to watch. They were a top-five, 5-on-5 outfit. When I hear the Sabres talk right now, I hear a team that wants to emulate how Montreal changed its ways a year ago."

Ralph Krueger
“What you’re going to feel is a real strong willingness to work towards being in control of our game whether we are at home or on the road. You can only do that in hockey if you’re playing an extremely aggressive style of play, which means also without the puck. It’s more the pressure without the puck is something we’d like teams to say we’re really good at doing as a unit of five. Really going for it all the time. Without risks that will hurt us and understanding that balance. Because we have offensive tools that are top of the league. I’ve definitely never coached a team this good, overall, when you look at the entire group. It’s exciting.’’

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Habs fan here. Just to share something nice that was said about you guys. On the RDS "On Jase" podcast, François Gagnon, who's a well known writer on RDS here in Québec, said that if a team was to surprise this year it would be Buffalo. He said that Krueger seems to have a lot of potential as a coach and said Buffalo would "become a team" because of Krueger.

It's not a well known podcast so I thought I'd share here since there's few chance people outside of Québec would have caught that.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Habs fan here. Just to share something nice that was said about you guys. On the RDS "On Jase" podcast, François Gagnon, who's a well known writer on RDS here in Québec, said that if a team was to surprise this year it would be Buffalo. He said that Krueger seems to have a lot of potential as a coach and said Buffalo would "become a team" because of Krueger.

It's not a well known podcast so I thought I'd share here since there's few chance people outside of Québec would have caught that.
Merci. We need all the hope we can get.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
The more I read and hear about Krueger, the more confident I am that he's our man. But there's a couple of things that bug me. Not about him, but what the reporting on him says about the league. Like, he actually talks to players? The fact that this makes headlines tells me that this is not standard operating procedure... So basically, by being a decent human being you're a visionary in this league? Cheezus!

Reactions: Eichel9

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The more I read and hear about Krueger, the more confident I am that he's our man. But there's a couple of things that bug me. Not about him, but what the reporting on him says about the league. Like, he actually talks to players? The fact that this makes headlines tells me that this is not standard operating procedure... So basically, by being a decent human being you're a visionary in this league? Cheezus!

Krueger's approach isn't unique. He's a classic example of a players' coach. Gerard Gallant is very similar. I think Rod Brind'Amour is a players' coach too.
What Style Of Coach Is Gerard Gallant?

The more common approach is authoritarian/disciplinarian (eg Mike Keenan, Scotty Bowman, Mike Babcock, Dan Bylsma)
What is a Players’ Coach?
Assistant coaches usually fill the role of players' coaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad