LeBron speculation thread

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The prima donna attitude is the one thing that gets on my nerves He expects the Cavs to trade the Nets pick for help but why on earth would they do that if he wont commit? They don't want to be left high and dry when he leaves like last time.
I remember before he left Miami to return in Cleveland it was reported that the Heat traded for Shabazz Napier draft rights because LeBron said how he was the best player in the 2014 draft and others thought it would keep LeBron in Miami.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I remember before he left Miami to return in Cleveland it was reported that the Heat traded for Shabazz Napier draft rights because LeBron said how he was the best player in the 2014 draft and others thought it would keep LeBron in Miami.

Yea and then Pat Riley got all fussy and threw out the "smiling faces with hidden agendas" comment... dude never said to draft him, just liked him. That was poor asset management.

People forget LeBron is a lot like Gretzky in the sense that he compliments literally half the league/prospects.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yea and then Pat Riley got all fussy and threw out the "smiling faces with hidden agendas" comment... dude never said to draft him, just liked him. That was poor asset management.

People forget LeBron is a lot like Gretzky in the sense that he compliments literally half the league/prospects.
I just remember people thought they traded for his draft rights to make LeBron happy. In the end we all know that didn't mean a thing to his decision to leave Miami.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mean why would it mean anything? Napier was a prospect. Not a guarantee.

Its the whole pleasing star players thing. Its how Tristan Thompson got 94 million - he has the same agent as LeBron (who happens to be one of his closest friends). & how JR Smith got 50 something million; LBJ really enjoyed playing with him and hanging out with him, Cavs didn't wan to upset him and now they are feeling it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's blame LeBron for everything season? He certainly isn't without blame and his effort level clearly isn't there on defense but he's not the problem. He has to do everything for that team and there's only so much he can do at the age of 33. He also doesn't have to give the Cavs a commitment if he doesn't want to. If Gilbert won't improve his team because he doesn't want to be left with nothing again then I don't really blame him either but LeBron doesn't owe him anything.
Didn't Gilbert sign the players and coach Lebron wanted? Problem is Lebron has had too much control with the roster and it's blowing up because of him.

Reactions: Voight and Duke33

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Didn't Gilbert sign the players and coach Lebron wanted? Problem is Lebron has had too much control with the roster and it's blowing up because of him.

They also won a championship with that coach and those players. He definitely helped his friends, who are with the same agency, get paid but all that really did was just cost Gilbert tax money. They were already capped out anyways so it's not like they could've replaced those guys with someone else at the same. It was either re-sign Thompson and Smith or get no one. Like I said before, LeBron deserves blame for what's happening there right now but he's not alone. Some people are just using all of this as an excuse to start bashing him again.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Of course, we’re ignoring months and months of breadcrumbs leading to Los Angeles, a rumor that swelled during last year’s Finals and never really calmed down. The Lakers cleared cap space for him with the Russell and Clarkson trades, creating two max-free-agent slots this summer. He bought a second $20 million house in Brentwood. His media business runs out of Hollywood and Burbank, paving the way for home run projects like Space Jam 2 (which they haven’t developed for four astonishing years, but still).

And by the way? It’s the Lakers.
Believe me, I hate admitting this … but the Lakers, Yankees and Cowboys are the only three American sports teams to achieve perennial resonance. They always matter, regardless of whether they’re winning or losing. The NBA’s biggest star in 20-plus years jumping to the NBA’s biggest franchise … I mean, that’s something. You want a great narrative? Try this one. (Feel free to steal this, Lee Jenkins.)

I know people will say I left Cleveland again. I don’t look at it like that. My heart will always belong there. We brought them Cleveland’s first title in 52 years. We’ve done an unbelievable amount of charity work for Akron and Cleveland and the surrounding areas. Cleveland will always be a part of me. But I don’t want to be defined just by sports. This is the last chapter of my basketball career; I want to play seven more years, I want to play for the greatest franchise in any sport and I want to build a billion-dollar business in the entertainment capital of the world. My whole life has been building to this moment. I want to carry the torch from Mikan, Baylor, West, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq and Kobe. I want to learn from Magic Johnson, and I want to follow in his footsteps as an influential African American business icon. I want to use my platform to continue to speak out and prove that athletes shouldn’t just shut up and dribble. It’s time for the next chapter of my career. It’s time for me to move to Los Angeles and play for the Lakers.

Good points by Bill Simmons on why LeBron should/would/could sign with the LakeShow. I give the guy credit for swallowing his Celtic pride.

Reactions: Morozov

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Wha? Do you watch Cleveland games?

LeBron has been the only giving a damn on most nights. Just look at how he imposed himself at the rim. That statement is 100% wrong.

guess you weren't watching their games earlier this season

it was so obvious he wasn't into it. i haven't watched cavs games lately but i'm sure their trade deadline acquisitions and IT''s departure has motivated him somewhat, although they aren't playing well again as of late

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is nothing but speculation on your part with really nothing to support it.

If this was common knowledge then again the Cavs could have traded him.

If he really wanted out he could have demanded a trade.

Before I get some nonsense about he didn't want to do such a thing because of his legacy, even Kobe did it, the guy everyone is constantly praising for loyalty.

Regardless, even if it were the case, so what? He played out what he was obligated to do.

Whenever I have moved jobs I haven't told my employer btw I'm going to leave soon. You keep your options open until you need to make a decision.

"news stories" ok.

And again, for arguments sake if your speculation were true (which you've been unable to substantiate) so what? You don't need to tell the team you're going to leave as a free agent, you can leave your options open as long as you like. Again if it was such common knowledge the Cavs could have moved him, but they wanted to back their chances that he might stay.

These are his rights as a player, some of you people are ridiculous with the things you try to criticise him for. He isn't even allowed to be a free agent now lol.

Brotherhood

This was the article I was referencing. Finally came across it today. Its from 2016 but I do remember reading other pieces around 2010 that stated free agency was his plan all along, short of a ring. It was originally Melo but he signed a 5 year deal instead of a 3+1 like the other 3 did.

So I was no speculating at all. & Cleveland wouldn't of traded the best player in the game even if they knew he was going to test. You keep him and hope you convince him to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad