OT: Lebreton master plan released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I could probably see them caving in and paying a portion under different ownership.

Now, I don't like the idea of public money being used to fund a sports arena at all, but that seems to be a reality with small markets. Look at Edmonton and Calgary for example (Edmonton's deal looks pretty bad).

Devcore say they have the resources and they've also said they would be open to building an arena and having Melnyk's Sens as a tenant, but who knows how things will play out now that the NCC has taken the project over?
I read an article on le droit and Devcore still interested. The président of Devcore said by a partnership with Melnyk or don t want to speculed but maybe Desmarais and Laliberté buy the team

Reactions: senswon and Gesus

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
As long as EM is the owner of this team, I assume he will want something to move downtown that will benefit him personally like zero cost for the land, city pays half for the arena & he gets all gate, parking & other revenue streams associated with the arena.

By the way, if there is an attendance problem now mostly because the fan base hates the owner, will moving downtown improve that problem significantly enough for EM to still make enough money to continue to operate this team?
Melnyk will never get a deal with the City. As soon as the team is sold, progress on a downtown deal will start and it will include some public funding.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I guess Melnyk now figures he will have to ride things out a little longer hoping for changing conditions after the lawsuits and a Sens team that starts winning again. Then even though everyone hates him the way Toronto felt about Ballard, business is business, and many hated owners have hung onto to their team despite fan feelings.

It's hard to imagine paying the 10's of millions of dollars, maybe hundreds of millions, to clean up the contaminated land there and then leave it as a park. That would be one expensive, taxpayer funded park.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nothing wrong with this attitude, but perhaps you should consider not caring about a league run by Billionaires that employs Millionaires.

I'm all in favour of free enterprise.

I just think the free should mean "as few restrictions as possible" not "I get to make money by taking other people's money and sitting on it"

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Whatever, it's never going to happen as long as Melnyk keeps us all hostage.

The NHL is going to be extremely pissed watson is using the NHL brand to pump up this land deal still. They are also not going to like the public pressure and support he is generating getting people to feel entitled to a new arena suplied by the NHL. If he isn't going to build an arena he should shut his lips and stop pretending any other owner would move the sens downtown and build people a new arena.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The NHL is going to be extremely pissed watson is using the NHL brand to pump up this land deal still. They are also not going to like the public pressure and support he is generating getting people to feel entitled to a new arena suplied by the NHL. If he isn't going to build an arena he should shut his lips and stop pretending any other owner would move the sens downtown and build people a new arena.
Eh, what authority do they have over Watson & Co. anyways? Bettman agreed that a new building downtown is necessary for the future of the franchise and only walked back on that when it fell apart, so I highly doubt he's "pissed" about a section of the land being reserved for an events center while they start developing the rest first. Besides, I'm sure the NHL is realistic about Melnyk's ownership and all the damage he's done. They're not dummies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

We've seen at least one group publicly state that they're willing to do exactly that. So I don't think it's pretending.

The NHL can get pissed all they want, the city or NCC aren't saying or doing anything wrong.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Umm, how are you making that leap ? I also don't think the NHL is going to get pissed at the city on behalf of sideshow Eugene, until Melnyk shows he has the capability to finance a portion of an arena. Right now I would imagine the NHL is just in observation mode over the Melnyk<->Ruddy duelling lawsuits.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Eh, what authority do they have over Watson & Co. anyways? Bettman agreed that a new building downtown is necessary for the future of the franchise and only walked back on that when it fell apart, so I highly doubt he's "pissed" about a section of the land being reserved for an events center while they start developing the rest first. Besides, I'm sure the NHL is realistic about Melnyk's ownership and all the damage he's done. They're not dummies.

He also said 'when the deal works like edmonton or tampa'
Yes they know the damage EM has done, do you think they need some random mayor adding fule to the fire?
He is helping damage their brand and it wont be good when the arena does have to be replaced.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We've seen at least one group publicly state that they're willing to do exactly that. So I don't think it's pretending.

The NHL can get pissed all they want, the city or NCC aren't saying or doing anything wrong.
If you are talking about Devcore, that is misleading. They said they would build an arena within the context of the overall development. This option now appears to be off the table with the development being 7 unique opportunities.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Yes if they were handed cheap land and all the lucrative public contracts. That deal is gone.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes they know the damage EM has done, do you think they need some random mayor adding fule to the fire?
He is helping damage their brand and it wont be good when the arena does have to be replaced.
Jim Watson has zero capability to impact the NHL brand. As for the Senators brand, Eugene has done that all on his own and I am sure the league knows that this whole region, government and business, is scorched earth for Melnyk.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Umm, how are you making that leap ? I also don't think the NHL is going to get pissed at the city on behalf of sideshow Eugene, until Melnyk shows he has the capability to finance a portion of an arena. Right now I would imagine the NHL is just in observation mode over the Melnyk<->Ruddy duelling lawsuits.

A city that since day 1 has always said no tax money will go to the NHL has a mayor online selling real estate acting like the NHL is going to be in the area. Meanwhile he is helping the fans think they are owed a new arena built and payed for by the NHL. On top of that he is helping spread the idea a new owner would build the city an arena.
Yes EM is a disaster that made a mess and yes there isn't a lot the NHL can or will do about it, but you don't think they will be pissed this is going on?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You're making something out of nothing imo, but you're entitled to your opinion.

The brand is damaged as far as it will go. The fans have spoken and Melnyk is forever the hated man in Ottawa regardless how things turn out. Fans will be forced to tolerate him to pull joy out of their hobby. I think everyone in the NHL office knows fans are cheering for Melnyk to be gone and he only has himself to blame for that part, do you really think an arena possibility push by Watson changes anything about public perception of the franchise and Melnyk? He will remain the owner, but it's not like there's room for him to be anything but a villain in Ottawa again, the bridge is burned for him to have a remotely positive relationship with fans. Yes, there were some real issues facing the Senators, but the only thing you control with handling tough circumstances in this world is your reaction, and quite frankly, his reaction to it was to have a public tantrum and issue threats against his own clientele after already being a villain in the community for numerous issues including driving away beloved figures like Alfie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upgrayedd

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You're making something out of nothing imo, but you're entitled to your opinion.

The brand is damaged as far as it will go. The fans have spoken and Melnyk is forever the hated man in Ottawa regardless how things turn out. Fans will be forced to tolerate him to pull joy out of their hobby. I think everyone in the NHL office knows fans are cheering for Melnyk to be gone and he only has himself to blame for that part, do you really think an arena possibility push by Watson changes anything about public perception of the franchise and Melnyk? He will remain the owner, but it's not like there's room for him to be anything but a villain in Ottawa again. Yes, there were some real issues facing the Senators, but the only thing you control with handling tough circumstances in this world is your reaction, and quite frankly, his reaction to it was to have a public tantrum and issue threats against his own clientele after already being a villain in the community for numerous issues including driving away beloved figures like Alfie.

Do you honestly think the Mayor should be using the the 'NHL' to sell land? Do you honestly think the NHL wants the Mayor of some city painting an owner as bad for holding 'their team hostage' because he wont build them a new arena?
Get over your personal feelings step back and look at that from the NHL's prospective , that so crazy I have no idea how you think thats ok or professional .

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A city that since day 1 has always said no tax money will go to the NHL has a mayor online selling real estate acting like the NHL is going to be in the area. Meanwhile he is helping the fans think they are owed a new arena built and payed for by the NHL. On top of that he is helping spread the idea a new owner would build the city an arena.
Yes EM is a disaster that made a mess and yes there isn't a lot the NHL can or will do about it, but you don't think they will be pissed this is going on?
I don't believe they will at all. I still can't find what Watson is doing that corelates to what you are accusing.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
If you are talking about Devcore, that is misleading. They said they would build an arena within the context of the overall development. This option now appears to be off the table with the development being 7 unique opportunities.

Well this is a draft plan after all, so nothing is really on or off the table. Things can change fairly quick.

Especially if the Sens do indeed get sold.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Do you honestly think the Mayor should be using the the 'NHL' to sell land? Do you honestly think the NHL wants the Mayor of some city painting an owner as bad for holding 'their team hostage' because he wont build them a new arena?
Get over your personal feelings step back and look at that from the NHL's prospective , that so crazy I have no idea how you think thats ok or professional .
Where is Watson using the NHL to sell land, that the city doesn't even own ??????????

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Where is Watson using the NHL to sell land, that the city doesn't even own ??????????

Did you see the plans, his quotes on it? Yes he is pumping up the land to sell. I never said he owned the land. They still need people to buy it and invest in the area. He is part of the NCC

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Money fixes most problems. As soon as someone opens up their wallet wide enough, the whole Sens/NCC/Lebreton saga will be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad