OT: Lebreton master plan released

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Do you honestly think the Mayor should be using the the 'NHL' to sell land? Do you honestly think the NHL wants the Mayor of some city painting an owner as bad for holding 'their team hostage' because he wont build them a new arena?
Get over your personal feelings step back and look at that from the NHL's prospective , that so crazy I have no idea how you think thats ok or professional .
Like I said man, I really don't think they care. They didn't villainize him in the media, they didn't name names or call anyone out, they didn't give deadlines, they simply allowed for the possibility in the future and stated how it would likely shake out if at all possible. You're just making something out of nothing and while i commented, I don't care enough to argue anymore with your imo extremely biased opinions. It's not about my personal feelings, it's about being realistic about how this guy is viewed in Ottawa at this point. You don't seem to like that, but just like I have to deal with Melnyk not selling, you have to deal with this guy forever being the nemesis of the city.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't believe they will at all. I still can't find what Watson is doing that corelates to what you are accusing.

I cant cut n paste on my playstation. Google._watson lebrenton . Global news.Ca story should be at the top.

He says the public space and NHL arena go hand and hand and the NCC should not give up hope.

The next link is from the ottawa citizen .Com

He says Melnyk has no interest in the space but they will peserve the arena site untill a new owner or the NHL steps in. Or Melnyk changes his mind.

And lets face it everyone is already acting like its the site for the new arena.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Like I said man, I really don't think they care. They didn't villainize him in the media, they didn't name names or call anyone out, they didn't give deadlines, they simply allowed for the possibility in the future and stated how it would likely shake out if at all possible. You're just making something out of nothing and while i commented, I don't care enough to argue anymore with your imo extremely biased opinions. It's not about my personal feelings, it's about being realistic about how this guy is viewed in Ottawa at this point. You don't seem to like that, but just like I have to deal with Melnyk not selling, you have to deal with this guy forever being the nemesis of the city.

The NHL is a major brand it's boarderline criminal activity acting like people are going to be investing in property beside the 'new arena' how on earth is that bias?
Your confusing how a guy is viewed with it being ok for the Mayor to stir the pot and pile on a local business. It's not ok just because you don't like the guy, that is bias.
Its not ok, but because we don't like him it's ok....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The NHL is a major brand it's boarderline criminal activity acting like people are going to be investing in property beside the 'new arena' how on earth is that bias?
Your confusing how a guy is viewed with it being ok for the Mayor to stir the pot and pile on a local business. It's not ok just because you don't like the guy, that is bias.
Its not ok but because we don't like him it's ok....
Again, I just don't think it's the big deal you're making it out to be. At best it comes off as a shot across the brow of the guy they just feuded with over a massive land deal that's now embroiled in law suits, just like Melnyk did publicly. Everyone wants Melnyk gone, likely even the NHL to some degree, so I really think it's just more of the same. Like I also said though, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm just giving mine.

Sure, my own personal opinion, I fully admit to want to encourage any and everyone to pile it on and villainize this guy even more to keep it fresh on everyones mind. The future of the Senators depends on this guy F'ing off imo.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Again, I just don't think it's the big deal you're making it out to be. At best it comes off as a shot across the brow of the guy they just feuded with over a massive land deal that's now embroiled in law suits, just like Melnyk did publicly. Everyone wants Melnyk gone, likely even the NHL to some degree, so I really think it's just more of the same. Like I also said though, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm just giving mine.

Sure, my own personal opinion, I fully admit to want to encourage any and everyone to pile it on and villainize this guy even more to keep it fresh on everyones mind. The future of the Senators depends on this guy F'ing off imo.

I don't know, if the new CBA doesn't address teams sitting on insured contracts he could be in it for the long haul. And the NHL brand itself cares not about hate, they will care about all sides being idiots in Ottawa and I am expecting Bettman to tell people they have no plans to build anything. No free rides on the NHL brand

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A downtown arena in this city will never be built without some public investment. I don't think we'll ever see public investment with Watson and Melnyk at the respective helms. One of them has to go for public investment to happen

Very simply put...if you buy the team for 450 and a new arena is 550 you are one billion into a new ownership. Who does that for a business with 150M tops in revenue and one that struggles with being profitable

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't know, if the new CBA doesn't address teams sitting on insured contracts he could be in it for the long haul. And the NHL brand itself cares not about hate, they will care about all sides being idiots in Ottawa and I am expecting Bettman to tell people they have no plans to build anything. No free rides on the NHL brand
It does appear that his intentions are to hang on. That's definitely bad news for the future of the franchise.

This has been such a public spat up to this point, including Melnyk throwing some vitriol at Watson and the NCC himself, so I still don't really see this new development as anything to egregious personally.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
A downtown arena in this city will never be built without some public investment. I don't think we'll ever see public investment with Watson and Melnyk at the respective helms. One of them has to go for public investment to happen

Very simply put...if you buy the team for 450 and a new arena is 550 you are one billion into a new ownership. Who does that for a business with 150M tops in revenue and one that struggles with being profitable
It s was ok with all the project together but now depend if Devcore win a couple bid for land

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Maybe the rich need to stop milking everyone for every single cent and then maybe people will have discretionary income that they will gladly spend on entertainement that is more expensive than streaming.

Reactions: Gesus

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Maybe the rich need to stop milking everyone for every single cent and then maybe people will have discretionary income that they will gladly spend on entertainement that is more expensive than streaming.

Um....so how does that relate to what i posted?

Reactions: Tighthead

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
The NHL tries to take advantage of taxpayers in almost every arena negotiation ever so I couldn't give a shit about Watson doing a role reversal (even though he really isn't).

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I cant cut n paste on my playstation. Google._watson lebrenton . Global news.Ca story should be at the top.

He says the public space and NHL arena go hand and hand and the NCC should not give up hope.

The next link is from the ottawa citizen .Com

He says Melnyk has no interest in the space but they will peserve the arena site untill a new owner or the NHL steps in. Or Melnyk changes his mind.

And lets face it everyone is already acting like its the site for the new arena.
So him saying they will have the land as a public park unless/until someone wants to build an events centre is giving the NHL and the Sens a black eye. Still not seeing it, in fact I think it sounds fairly open minded

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The local broadcast rights are up in 6 years and as things are now TSN would bail if they could (from a Bell Media low level executive). There are a number of factors at play in the renewal, horrible ratings, Melnyk attacking TSN while granting exclusive interviews with their competition, etc... The next local rights contract may be half of what it is now which would crush Melnyk. My guess is he is gone before any new arena could be built so he really only cares about securing a land deal and then cashing out. I wonder if he would have sold if Lebreton hadn't crapped out.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Melnyk will never get a deal with the City. As soon as the team is sold, progress on a downtown deal will start and it will include some public funding.
What makes you think EM will sell the team? He may never, it could just be a pipe dream hoping for this guy to sell, so far he hasn't sold yet under all the pressure of #Melnykout & billboard & still won't sell. I think the city will bend over backwards to keep the team in Ottawa & to get a downtown arena built. Public funding is a point of contention with a lot of people, I'm not sure how many people would be for that, my guess would be few.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The local broadcast rights are up in 6 years and as things are now TSN would bail if they could (from a Bell Media low level executive). There are a number of factors at play in the renewal, horrible ratings, Melnyk attacking TSN while granting exclusive interviews with their competition, etc... The next local rights contract may be half of what it is now which would crush Melnyk. My guess is he is gone before any new arena could be built so he really only cares about securing a land deal and then cashing out. I wonder if he would have sold if Lebreton hadn't crapped out.
Considering attendance tanked, it would seem fitting that the TV ratings also tanked. Would also not be at all surprised if there's some bad blood between TSN and Melnyk because of what you've noted here and that could lead to bad things with that TV contract.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Since there isn't more to add about the actual NCC site plan at this time the thread has served its purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad