Least amount of shots in a game

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Highest shooting % by one team in a game ever (.444)? Heck, I've seen NBA teams shoot lower than that. As I recall, three Leafs (Sundin) scored on their only shots of the game and Jim Carey performed well. It was Mr One Punch Power who struggled in net for the Blues!

Lonny Bohonos scored in that game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The Leafs were my least favorite team in all of pro sports at that time (and they still might be now :naughty:). Watching them get eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating six-shot fashion on Saturday night on Hockey Night in Canada was...enjoyable, to say the least. The game degrading into a chippy affair with a couple of fights towards the end, including Brodeur gooning Tucker, was fun. Dejected Leaf homers Bob Cole and Harry Neale having to sit there and read the eulogy as the inevitable set in was merely the cherry on top of it all.

Just curious as to why the lowly Leafs would be your all-time least favorite team?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Just curious as to why the lowly Leafs would be your all-time least favorite team?

That circa 2000 Leafs team had a lot of dirty/obnoxious players. Darcy Tucker chief among them. Shane Corson was/is a total loser. Gary Roberts was always a pr*** out on the ice. Domi was Domi. McCabe always annoyed me. And Cujo was a traitor who left Edmonton the first chance he got. I don't still hold that grudge but as a 12 or 13 year old it's different.

Then there was the whole media angle. Leafs being declared Cup champs by CBC, TSN, etc. every spring. Massive pro-Leafs bias by commentators on national broadcasts and whatnot.

I don't hate the Leafs like I once did though. They've been too bad for too long to really have that much animosity left for them. The Canucks have replaced them in my books for much the same reasons.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That circa 2000 Leafs team had a lot of dirty/obnoxious players. Darcy Tucker chief among them. Shane Corson was/is a total loser. Gary Roberts was always a pr*** out on the ice. Domi was Domi. McCabe always annoyed me. And Cujo was a traitor who left Edmonton the first chance he got. I don't still hold that grudge but as a 12 or 13 year old it's different.

Then there was the whole media angle. Leafs being declared Cup champs by CBC, TSN, etc. every spring. Massive pro-Leafs bias by commentators on national broadcasts and whatnot.

I don't hate the Leafs like I once did though. They've been too bad for too long to really have that much animosity left for them. The Canucks have replaced them in my books for much the same reasons.

If you're talking about the 2000 leafs, leave Roberts, Corson and McCabe out of it. These were the kinds of players they got that summer specifically because of how it went against New Jersey. It changed the complexion of the team, and look what happned the next year. Two OT goals away from sweeping the Devils. A Domi bonehead play away from a six game win.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If you're talking about the 2000 leafs, leave Roberts, Corson and McCabe out of it. These were the kinds of players they got that summer specifically because of how it went against New Jersey. It changed the complexion of the team, and look what happned the next year. Two OT goals away from sweeping the Devils. A Domi bonehead play away from a six game win.

Haha it must have mostly been media/CBC reasons for my dislike in 2000. I thought for sure Corson was there by then, but yeah you're right. I knew Roberts was still in Carolina that year.

I'll give those Leafs teams credit though, they were built for the playoffs. Just ask Ottawa.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Haha it must have mostly been media/CBC reasons for my dislike in 2000. I thought for sure Corson was there by then, but yeah you're right. I knew Roberts was still in Carolina that year.

I'll give those Leafs teams credit though, they were built for the playoffs. Just ask Ottawa.

The 2001-2004 teams were!

The 1999 and 2000 teams were too reliant on the likes of King, Johnson, Modin, Korolev, Berezin, Sullivan, Hoglund and Perreault. With the exception of Berezin, this supporting offensive cast was woefully inept at finding the net in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
12 minutes left in the Flyers-Canes game right now and the Flyers have 6 shots on goal. They had 4 in the first period.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
The Rangers had zero SOG in Detroit on October 12, 1958.

In the playoffs, it's been done 12 times, 3 by Toronto, 1 by the Rangers, 3 by Montreal, 3 by Chicago and 2 by Detroit.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
How bout fewest shots in a game with the 2 teams combined??

I remember a game between the Oilers and Flames that had 36 shots total.

If I remember correctly, somewhere in 2003 or 2004, the Flames outshot the Oilers 19-17.......for the entire game

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The Rangers had zero SOG in Detroit on October 12, 1958.

I had my doubts about this...

The Ludington Daily News Oct. 13, 1958 -

"Goalie Terry Sawchuk had many brilliant stops in his 24-save shutout performance, and defenseman Marcel Pronovost got an unassisted goal while his own club was short handed."

I see that trainer Julian Klymkiw was pressed into action after Gumper got hurt in the 3rd...and I thought maybe @Doctor No wouldn't have that in his database perhaps...but of course, he does...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Good correction on that one, @Michael Farkas - I believe the answer is 24 shots by the Rangers there. My guess is that the user got their information from the official source (as you'd expect), and the official source:

Drops the ball a bit. Also one reason I'm doing my own taxonomy and research because this isn't the only instance of this in the official source.

This matches Mike's number (bolded section, first column most of the way down):

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
And because this is the best place I'm ever going to get to put it, Dave and Ken Dryden were huge fans of Klymkiw, because the was the goaltender for the CBS show "Shootout in the NHL" (shown during intermissions of CBS national game broadcasts). He was moderately famous in the US, at least as far as an NHL trainer goes.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I had my doubts about this...

The Ludington Daily News Oct. 13, 1958 -

"Goalie Terry Sawchuk had many brilliant stops in his 24-save shutout performance, and defenseman Marcel Pronovost got an unassisted goal while his own club was short handed."

I see that trainer Julian Klymkiw was pressed into action after Gumper got hurt in the 3rd...and I thought maybe @Doctor No wouldn't have that in his database perhaps...but of course, he does...

Both have no shots on Sawchuk. This story on the game had Julian Klymkiw, the Detroit trainer, filling in for the Rangers after Gump Worsley suffered a pulled tendon.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Are you guys serously calling that a good or entertaining game? Or is it just a favourite because it was historic?

It was painful for me, and not just because the leafs were the victim... it was just a boring game.

Yeah it was really, really bad hockey. Yes I am a Leaf fan too. But that wasn't what you want to see in a championship team. I know the Devils were a solid team, they won fair and square, but when people act like the Devils didn't play nauseating hockey to watch back then it isn't true, because it was horrible hockey to watch. There is a reason why Scott Stevens still holds the single season assists record on that franchise.

The thing with that Devils/Leafs series is that it was tied at 2-2 at one point. Toronto had 20 or more shots in every game but Game 6. It was so out of the ordinary. It came out of left field.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I think the record is 28, from these two games:

December 7th, 2009 - Philadelphia outshoots Montreal 15-13. Somehow the Habs win 3-1. Shots were 4-1, 9-6 and 2-6 by period.

February 27th, 2012 - the Rangers outshoot the Devils 15-13, and win 2-0. Shots were 4-4, 6-6 and 5-3 by period.

The most fun way to find inaccuracies in one's database is to do exercises like this.

Anyhow, there's a few years between when shots were published officially and when my real data starts in 1960, but I match these two as the lowest combined total (after eliminating data issues on my end).

I was getting 27 for the Devils/Rangers game, but wasn't counting that one of the Rangers' shots was an empty-net goal (so really, they should win any tiebreaker here).

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
That's really insane, that a team would use, as a goalie, somebody who works for another team ... and the opposing team at that! But teams really did that. A goalie is a goalie, must have been the philosophy.

So, do you give your best performance and maybe beat your own team? Still, how could an ethical man do otherwise?

Nobody should be put in that sort of dilemma!

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
There was a game between Sweden & Russia back in the 90s at the WJC (I think it was their 0-0 tie in 1997) where neither team got a shot on goal during one of the periods
Not sure if it set any records, but the 2000 final between the Czechs & Russians was an absolutely horrendous hockey game that finished 0-0 before going to the shootout. I'd love to know the shot totals for that one.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That's really insane, that a team would use, as a goalie, somebody who works for another team ... and the opposing team at that! But teams really did that. A goalie is a goalie, must have been the philosophy.

So, do you give your best performance and maybe beat your own team? Still, how could an ethical man do otherwise?

Nobody should be put in that sort of dilemma!

David Ayres dislikes your tweet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad