Least amount of shots in a game

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I really have no idea but I once saw a game where one team only had 7 shots on goal. That was quite freakish but it wasnt in the NHL it was in the SEL

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Toronto was held to 6 shots on goal once in the playoffs vs. New Jersey.

That's the lowest I can think of, and I believe is the record for a playoff game.

SeduceAndDestroy

It's Kind Of Like The "D.E.N.N.I.S. System"
Jun 19, 2009
Hiller just faced 12 shots. I know it isn't the lowest ever so what was the lowest ever?

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
That 6-shot game as got to be up there in the expansion era at the very least...I came across this and might answer another trivia question: least shots by a winning team.

http://www.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=190304019

Toronto 4 - St. Louis 0
SOG: Tor 9

Jim Carey in net and taking the old "25% rule" in a different direction...

I remember watching the game, without a doubt the weirdest game I've ever seen.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
I remember watching the game, without a doubt the weirdest game I've ever seen.

Highest shooting % by one team in a game ever (.444)? Heck, I've seen NBA teams shoot lower than that. As I recall, three Leafs (Sundin) scored on their only shots of the game and Jim Carey performed well. It was Mr One Punch Power who struggled in net for the Blues!

MetropolisPt31

Feb 11, 2009
Sunnyvale, CA
That 6-shot game as got to be up there in the expansion era at the very least...I came across this and might answer another trivia question: least shots by a winning team.

http://www.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=190304019

Toronto 4 - St. Louis 0
SOG: Tor 9

Jim Carey in net and taking the old "25% rule" in a different direction...
Come on, a Dallas Stars writer should know the Sharks did that to the Stars earlier that season.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=181104018

:D;)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Are you guys serously calling that a good or entertaining game? Or is it just a favourite because it was historic?

It was painful for me, and not just because the leafs were the victim... it was just a boring game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Are you guys serously calling that a good or entertaining game? Or is it just a favourite because it was historic?

It was painful for me, and not just because the leafs were the victim... it was just a boring game.

The Leafs were my least favorite team in all of pro sports at that time (and they still might be now :naughty:). Watching them get eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating six-shot fashion on Saturday night on Hockey Night in Canada was...enjoyable, to say the least. The game degrading into a chippy affair with a couple of fights towards the end, including Brodeur gooning Tucker, was fun. Dejected Leaf homers Bob Cole and Harry Neale having to sit there and read the eulogy as the inevitable set in was merely the cherry on top of it all.

Reactions: double5son10

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Leafs were my least favorite team in all of pro sports at that time (and they still might be now :naughty:). Watching them get eliminated from the playoffs in humiliating six-shot fashion on Saturday night on Hockey Night in Canada was...enjoyable, to say the least. The game degrading into a chippy affair with a couple of fights towards the end, including Brodeur gooning Tucker, was fun. Dejected Leaf homers Bob Cole and Harry Neale having to sit there and read the eulogy as the inevitable set in was merely the cherry on top of it all.

I don't mean to nitpick, but when I read that you said it was a Saturday, I just had to check, because I was dead sure it was a weekday... I was right, it was a Monday.

funny note about that game - only 4 Leafs had a shot. Berezin, of course, had three himself.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
I don't mean to nitpick, but when I read that you said it was a Saturday, I just had to check, because I was dead sure it was a weekday... I was right, it was a Monday.

funny note about that game - only 4 Leafs had a shot. Berezin, of course, had three himself.

I remember working that night and listening to the game on the radio.... it wasn't a good night

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Believe it or not, I was at the edge of my seat the whole third period, rooting for the record to be broken. :laugh:

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What's the point of sports without humiliating the hated opposition? And there was no team I hated more at the time than the Leafs* - they were just full of players who were easy to hate and they had the most obnoxious fan base on the old ESPN boards I used to frequent. God, must have gotten about 10 accounts banned trolling during the aftermath. :laugh:

And yes, I'm pretty sure I hated the Leafs more than any other team at that time. The Rangers sucked too much to hate and Flyers weren't as easy to hate without Lindros in the lineup regularly.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
There was a game between Sweden & Russia back in the 90s at the WJC (I think it was their 0-0 tie in 1997) where neither team got a shot on goal during one of the periods

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

I could have sworn up and down that it was on a Saturday, but you're correct, it was Monday. I seem to remember the game as having more penalties towards the end as well, but HSP only shows Tucker and Elias for fighting. Game 5 however, does show significant evidence of rough stuff at the end, and it was on a Saturday. I guess over the years my mind has combined the two games into one.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Was googling what the record was since the Winnipeg Jets had 2 shots through the first half of the game tonight and this thread came up so I guess I'll bump it. :laugh:

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
The worst part of that Leafs-Devils playoff game was that it was clear that the Leafs had at least twice the number of shots that they were credited with.

I remember watching it a few times just to make sure and at bare minimum the Leafs had 13 or 14 shots. Still a pitiful total for a playoff elimination game, but a lot better than six.

Then again, the Devils always seemed to under-count shots. I firmly believe it's a major reason why Brodeur's career save percentage totals always seemed somewhat low compared to his reputation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad