OT: Leafs Young Stars or Rivals Young Stars?

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
I know the Leafs have many rivals but I will only be considering our Canadian rivals in this poll.

So that stated would you rather have the Leafs young stars and high ranking prospects or our rivals?

Leafs
Nazem Kadri NHL, 36GP, 17g, 22a, 39pts, +20
Jake Gardiner AHL, 43GP, 10g, 21a, 31 pts, +1
Morgan Reilly WHL, 60gp, 12g, 42a, 54pts, -8

Canadians
PK Subban NHL, 29gp, 10g, 18a, 28 pts, +11
Alex Galchenyuk NHL, 35gp, 3g, 12a, 15 pts, +8

Senators
Mika Zibanejad NHL, 29gp, 6g, 9a, 15pts, +8
Erik Karlsson NHL, 14gp, 6g, 4a, 10 pts, +6

-If anyone you can think of can be justified as a young star (under 23-24, high potential, doing well) you can consider them in this discussion

highoffglass

Cheers!
Jan 20, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Karlsson - Just because he is such a smooth skater, really enjoy watching him play.

Though Kadri and Subban have been making themselves heard with stellar years, I'd take the sens duo soley based on Karlsson.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Add Gallagher to the mix, Silfverberg, Turris, Lehner for Ottawa. That being said I am torn I want to say the leafs but I really like Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Subban. Ottawa has an abundance but not many that I would think are going to be staples on the all star teams like I think Subban, Galchenyuk, Kadri and Rielly might be. Karlsson's injury really could be a major set back for him too due to the style of player he is.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I actually think the Leafs and Habs are pretty close in this department. Slight edge to the Habs at this point perhaps with Gardiner slumping and P.K. playing like a maniac, though Kadri can give him a run for his money this year so far.

You have to think Ottawa takes the cake with Karlsson though.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Leafs or MTL's, Glachenyuk has great potential, it's only his rookie year and Subban is already great.

I don't care THAT much for Karlsson, I think he's an offensive defensemen with decent defensive game but he's not the kind of guy I'd be scared of in the defensive zone like say chara or lidstrom. But thats just IMO.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Pottawa with out a doubt and that is for Karlsson alone.

Add Lehner and the rest of them and they probably have one of the best young teams in the league.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Let's set the age cutoff point at 25. So core players 25 and under on each team.

Toronto: Kadri, Kessel, JVR, Gardiner, Rielly, (Reimer)

Montreal: Subban, Galchenyuk, Price, Gallagher, Pacioretty

Ottawa: Karlsson, Zibanejad, Cowen, Sifverberg, Lehner

Boston: Seguin, Hamilton, Rask, Marchand, Lucic

Buffalo: Grigorenko, Ennis, Hodgson, Myers, Armia

Take your pick, it's not an easy choice...

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
Let's set the age cutoff point at 25. So core players 25 and under on each team.

Honestly Karlsson being a defender who can put up 70-75 points makes him and his prospect group win. Other than that Toronto, Kessel has been a PPG player and is elite in his position.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Geeze, that's a lot of talent.

I'd probaby order it as

Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto Boston (tied)
Buffalo

But that's just me

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
1) Ottawa
2) Montreal
3) Boston
4) Toronto

5) Buffalo

IMO. I feel that the leafs have better overall players, outside of the young core, than Montreal and Ottawa.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
Montreal has a scary core going forward, I really hope Kadri can keep up his play and Reimer solidifies his role as a #1 goalie for the leafs sake.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We don't look that great compared to those teams, we need a couple of Biggs, Leivo, Finn and Percy to have some big years next year and maybe have a darkhorse emerge somewhere in the organization.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto

You could add Florida next season..Huberdeau, Markstrom, Bjugstad, Gudbranson and Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin in the upcoming draft.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Not a rival but since we are playing this game...
O'Reily, Johnson, Duchene, Landeskog, Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
If Rielly becomes half the player Karlsson is, we still don't beat Ottawa in terms of young talent.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Voted Montreal and Boston looks impressive, too. Both Ottawa and the Leafs look pretty good as well. Hell of a lot of young talent in our division.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Geez the NE is stacked. lots of great games to look forward to.
ps you guys left 23 YO Eller off habs list
;)

jughead42*

I thought long and hard about this one, no doubt about it. We finally have a few great young players on the roster and in the system, we've never had that in my lifetime. It really feels foreign to me having the type of roster I'd like to start a new EA hockey franchise with, young, fast, skilled and tough. You say young stars, but that could apply to guys like Franson, Kessel, JVR, Gunnarsson, Frattin, Fraser, Komarov, McLaren, Scrivens and Reimer as well as Kadri and Gardiner. All those guys are playing great and contributing to our success, and all of them are 25 or younger. Our whole team is young stars. I do appreciate the young talent that the Sens and Canadiens have as well, but seriously, screw them. Why would I prefer any of our rival's players to my own? If I wanted to do that, I might as well go whole hog and buy one jersey with a toilet seat on the front, and the other with a big zero on it. That's not gonna happen. I take the Leafs young stars, since those are the ones I'm stuck with any way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad