Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Winnipeg Sat Oct 22nd 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Please tell me that ZAR is also coming out and we won't see him on that 3rd line. It makes a lot more sense to put Malgin there.
Yeah not sure. I think those are the lines and he's just a place holder for Matthews but maybe they'll change a couple things. We'll see.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Figured I get this going. Lines just came out from practice today.

Simmer getting his first look this season.

Looks like 3rd and 4th line getting a tweak too. Could be good. Also Matthews hurting from that cheapy Benn across check and the blocked shot on foot but should be good to go for tomorrow.

I like the change. Bottom 6 especially the 4th line needs a change. One of ZAR or NAK needed to be out so i'm fine with this. Malgin should be in but changing for Simmonds for physicality, but also getting Malgin in would be odd so it's fine

I like good players more than bad players?
I'm with you but ZAR is better than this so I could see them giving him more time. I do agree about putting Malgin in but for who?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I like the change. Bottom 6 especially the 4th line needs a change. One of ZAR or NAK needed to be out so i'm fine with this. Malgin should be in but changing for Simmonds for physicality, but also getting Malgin in would be odd so it's fine

I'm with you but ZAR is better than this so I could see them giving him more time. I do agree about putting Malgin in but for who?

Both NAK and ZAR have been problems. One hasn't been any better or worse than the other, and they are practically the same player overall. If you want Simmonds in for a game because it is Winnipeg, then fine. Sit both of them. Run those exact lines but put Malgin in ZAR's spot.

ZAR makes absolutely no sense with Kerfoot and Jarnkrok. Even at his best he is not a good offensive player so even if he throws hits and forechecks, it will not make much of a difference if he can't do anything with the puck once he gets it.

Send both NAK and ZAR a message. Bench both of them and tell them that they have to first take the job away from Simmonds (if they can't even manage that, then we might as well cut bait as soon as we need cap or roster space), and then from each other.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Both NAK and ZAR have been problems. One hasn't been any better or worse than the other, and they are practically the same player overall. If you want Simmonds in for a game because it is Winnipeg, then fine. Sit both of them. Run those exact lines but put Malgin in ZAR's spot.

ZAR makes absolutely no sense with Kerfoot and Jarnkrok. Even at his best he is not a good offensive player so even if he throws hits and forechecks, it will not make much of a difference if he can't do anything with the puck once he gets it.

Send both NAK and ZAR a message. Bench both of them and tell them that they have to first take the job away from Simmonds (if they can't even manage that, then we might as well cut bait as soon as we need cap or roster space), and then from each other.
Harsh but probably fair. As a fan of ZAR, he's been underwhelmimg but it's early

Reactions: TopCheese

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I haven’t been as impressed with Jarnkrok as I hoped, he has lost a few steps since he was with Nashville.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Love the idea of injecting a hungry Simmonds into the lineup. Simmonds doesn't have it in him to play a full 82 but if the cap will allow for him to stay up and play 35-40 games, he could be quite effective in those games.

NAK looked much better in the pres-season than he has shown in the regular season. If he isn't going to play like he did in pre-season (finishing checks/being a pest), he's going to watch from the press box a lot.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Yeah I'd rather give Malgin a go at the third line than ZAR

ZAR is what he is, a low event fourth line player. Maybe Malgin provides some offensive touch on line 3?

Reactions: kb

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't know if they can't work as a line, but the 4th line has been straight up brutal so far. None of them have any sort of transition ability and they start almost exclusively in the defensive end, which is a recipe for disaster. Engvall would probably help a lot.

Malgin should definitely be on the 3rd line over ZAR. He's been way better and actually has some offensive upside

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
At this point I would have a hard time arguing that Tavares deserves that second line spot more than Kerfoot. He plays like an anchor.
Tavares has been one of the better Leaf players to start the year? That second line has been the only one generating anything consistently and if not for a bullshit call on Monday they would've had the tying goal against Arizona too.

Matthews and Marner have been far worse comparably

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Love the idea of injecting a hungry Simmonds into the lineup. Simmonds doesn't have it in him to play a full 82 but if the cap will allow for him to stay up and play 35-40 games, he could be quite effective in those games.

NAK looked much better in the pres-season than he has shown in the regular season. If he isn't going to play like he did in pre-season (finishing checks/being a pest), he's going to watch from the press box a lot.
No room for passengers. That's why it's good to have an expanded roster.

Kinda sad that they still need to motivate professional athletes game-in-game out with type of competition, but I guess it's needed. I understand that Scotty Bowman was brilliant at keeping the screws turned on even the Cup-champion Habs' rosters, and it looks like the same thing is required here.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
At this point I would have a hard time arguing that Tavares deserves that second line spot more than Kerfoot. He plays like an anchor.
I think both Kerfoot and Tavares have looked pretty good as #2 and #3 centres.

Tavares isn't what he once was, but he's still pretty good and definitely not an anchor.

I could see them finding a way to keep and re-sign Kerfoot. His play is still improving.

With Robertson showing promise on the second line, the top six forwards -- Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Bunting and Robertson -- are a lock, and Kerfoot is a solid piece on the third line. I don't remember when the Leafs have been as good up front. They aren't scrounging for an old or misfit player to work into their top two lines.

Reactions: TML Dynasty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad