Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Do you guys love Kapanen yet? I'm so happy we got Phil last year, but watching Kap the last few games makes my hockey heart yearn just a tad.

Go Leafs, hopefully we see you next round. Not because I think it will be an easier series, but I love when the Pens matchup against the NHL's storied franchise's.

Pens are probably just sick of beating the Caps butt like 20 times straight in the playoffs. Want a new team to beat... And we haven't been there in a while so it's probably new for everyone.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2218235&page=35

Page 35 about mid-way is when the leafs score the overtime winner. I actually feel kinda bad for their fans, this would suck going through this year after year. Not our problem though

Wow. That is a raging tire fire of comments after the Leafs win it in OT . . . I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Yikes. Except for one or two guys, they're all talking like they've already lost . . . which is hard to imagine really, if I am putting myself in their place. I mean, yeah - looks bad, but it's just 2-1 down, this is a very solid team,, etc etc . . . but they're really, really disheartened.

Makes me appreciate being a Leaf fan even more - despite what we may think, we're a fairly optimistic group I'd say! :laugh:

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

Page 35 about mid-way is when the leafs score the overtime winner. I actually feel kinda bad for their fans, this would suck going through this year after year. Not our problem though
Interesting how many 'fire Trotz' comments there are. That core of players (Ovechkin, Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson, to a lesser extent Holtby and a revolving supporting cast) has gone through several GMs and a coaching carousel, they have an elite guy in Trotz and they're still blaming the coach.

I mean, the Caps could still very well win the Stanley Cup this year, the series is far from over, but it makes you wonder what at what point some major roster moves are needed. Eventually you've gotta stop blaming the coach.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wow. That is a raging tire fire of comments after the Leafs win it in OT . . . I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Yikes. Except for one or two guys, they're all talking like they've already lost . . . which is hard to imagine really, if I am putting myself in their place. I mean, yeah - looks bad, but it's just 2-1 down, this is a very solid team,, etc etc . . . but they're really, really disheartened.

Makes me appreciate being a Leaf fan even more - despite what we may think, we're a fairly optimistic group I'd say! :laugh:

Caps fans, keep a stiff upper lip, at least the refs are on your side...

Game 1 Leafs lead 2-0 ,refs make 1 phantom call and another borderline call to put the Leafs down 2 guys, gets Wash back in the game.

Game 2 all night the Refs were letting Wash flip flop and dive their way to PP opportunities and allowing Wash to get away with clear easy to call PIM's.

Game 3 another 5 on 3 for Wash... while allowing a lot of interference from Washington all game. (Kadri was basically gang tackled)

Game 4 ???? - probably should call a few against Toronto before the game starts...

I'm not one to ***** about the reffing but its pretty clear in this series Washington is doing everything possible to draw PIMs including diving.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Caps fans, keep a stiff upper lip, at least the refs are on your side...

Game 1 Leafs lead 2-0 ,refs make 1 phantom call and another borderline call to put the Leafs down 2 guys, gets Wash back in the game.

Game 2 all night the Refs were letting Wash flip flop and dive their way to PP opportunities and allowing Wash to get away with clear easy to call PIM's.

Game 3 another 5 on 3 for Wash... while allowing a lot of interference from Washington all game. (Kadri was basically gang tackled)

Game 4 ???? - probably should call a few against Toronto before the game starts...

I'm not one to ***** about the reffing but its pretty clear in this series Washington is doing everything possible to draw PIMs including diving.
The 5 on 3 was pretty warranted last night, Wilson is either a lot less tough than he acts like or he sold it, but that's still a penalty every time. We should be grateful that Boyle and Winnik somehow avoiding offsetting penalties in that scrum.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The truth is that Trotz is a great coach who has managed to make an unimpressive defensive team look great defensively.

Like really, when did guys like Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov become widely respected defensive players? Let alone the caps' forwards?

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The truth is that Trotz is a great coach who has managed to make an unimpressive defensive team look great defensively.

Like really, when did guys like Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov become widely respected defensive players? Let alone the caps' forwards?

The leafs are looking like the biggest matchup nightmare in the NHL.

I don't think any team can match up 4 deep with us offensively. I'm kind of surprised Trotz is trying to line match so hard because it means Ovi hardly plays.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When I click the link it says I have removed from this thread

Geeze just read some comments... I thought Boston fans were poor losers.

Some gems:

1) I'll feel bad for Toronto fans if they win this series. They will think they have a shot but will go down to the first team with a competent playoff coach.

2) I am done as fan. This team doesn't deserve one more cent and support out of me

3) **** the Capitals and Trotz can go **** himself. So ****ing sick of this team's incompetence.

4) Not even mad, it's comically at this point. We should be down 3-0 and just got beat by Bozak.

:D

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
The leafs are looking like the biggest matchup nightmare in the NHL.

I don't think any team can match up 4 deep with us offensively. I'm kind of surprised Trotz is trying to line match so hard because it means Ovi hardly plays.

The lack of Ovi minutes is a huge bone of contention on the Caps page.
Babcock said i think in one of his interviews, that as the home coach you can't get carried away with matchups because that means the other coach is dictating who you play.
At the end of the day your best players better be playing the most minutes, and if that doesn't work with the matchups you want, you screw the matchups and go with your best.
Now if your best ain't good enough.........

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Babcock said i think in one of his interviews, that as the home coach you can't get carried away with matchups because that means the other coach is dictating who you play.
At the end of the day your best players better be playing the most minutes, and if that doesn't work with the matchups you want, you screw the matchups and go with your best.

Babcock is in Trotz's head right now.

I couldn't believe my eyes last night. Every time Babcock put on Kadri, Backstrom and Ovechkin went straight to the bench and off the ice. Sometimes you just have to play your stars and live or die with them...

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

I too feel kinda bad for them, but they know they have a good team.

We've been on the short end of the stick many times, the difference is hardly anyone ever feels bad for us (instead they celebrate) because of our fan base reputation.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Don't mind me, just here to continue the streak of CT's "Stand Witness" Avys. :nod:

Might as well post Steve Dangles reaction video while I'm here. Perfect amount of crazy that every Leafs fan has.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Post-game I'm much less upset about the game. They had one standard in the first, and another for the rest of the game. The end sum was OK. It's quite possible I wouldn't feel the same way if we had lost though.

And it doesn't touch the GWR* in the Ottawa game, where you'd have a better case for a 4 min PP for Boston than a PK.

* Game-Winning Refereeing

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009

Hate to say it, but when we were down by two goals last night, we had a ton of posters that were ready to hand the caps the series.

But yeah, some of those caps fans are a joke. Demanding their coach gets fired, OV gets traded, and goaltending changes, because their team is down 2-1 in a playoff series.

I can understand emotions and things being said in the heat of the moment, but wow. Relax, take a step back, and breathe.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
The unit dominated the puck all night long. The blend of speed and skill between Matthews and Nylander, along with the force and persistence of Hyman, were just too much for the Capitals to handle. Even-strength shot attempts were 23-5 when Nylander was on the ice (82 per cent); 21-7 when Hyman was on the ice (75 per cent); and 20-10 with Matthews out there (67 per cent).

The numbers, per Corsica Hockey, suggest the unit functioned far more effectively with the Swede on the wing:
PUCK POSSESSION
Hyman/Matthews/Nylander: 55 per cent
Hyman/Matthews/Brown: 49 per cent
SCORING CHANCE PERCENTAGE
Hyman/Matthews/Nylander: 57 per cent
Hyman/Matthews/Brown: 48 per cent

http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-rookie-trio-dominates-in-game-3-1.727224

Was a matter of time before the big line got going. If they keep it up, and Andy keeps going, its over for the Caps.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

That has absolutely nothing to do with that. Running a hard matchup game can work backwards that takes the flow out of your own team and you risk overplaying some usually your better guys and leave others completely cold. What you end up with is a team of halves and just flat out giving momentum back to your opposition.... Sound familiar? That was Carlyle's mistake

Take a good hard look at the series. Each GWG has been scored by unsung heroes in OT. Neither team is winning or loosing the matchup game. Games have been tight. Last night the goat to Washington losing falls on getting a late game call against them and Shattenkirk horrific shooting on that 5-3 that gave the Leafs life... They didn't loose because of Ovie's TOI.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Do you guys love Kapanen yet? I'm so happy we got Phil last year, but watching Kap the last few games makes my hockey heart yearn just a tad.

Go Leafs, hopefully we see you next round. Not because I think it will be an easier series, but I love when the Pens matchup against the NHL's storied franchise's.

Getting there, for sure. ;)

You guys still made out like bandits on that Kessel trade, but it was one the Leafs needed to make and we did pretty well considering. Kap looks like a great piece to get back.

While I still think the Caps most likely take the series (they are still scary), I'd love to face the Pens. Only thing better than a baptism by fire against the President's Trophy winners is a baptism by fire against the previous Stanley Cup champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad