Post-Game Talk: ..::Leafs Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Mac was just scheduled for about 5 games mostly back to back, but he might get more if he plays this solid in relief. Good to have a backup finally that provides a solid opportunity to win.

Freddy losing 4 of his last 5 games (while giving up 5 and 6 goals) and having the lowest sv% .888 of all starters since Jan 1st is opening the door for backup starts down the stretch potentially.

Yeah, like any coach, Babs most importantly wants to win down the stretch.

That includes riding a backup's hot hand if your starter's gone cold.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
The Leafs have 1 empty net goal. All season...1.

Maybe if they just took a chance at icing the puck towards an empty net, they wouldn't end up with so many last minute goals against.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
The Leafs have 1 empty net goal. All season...1.

Maybe if they just took a chance at icing the puck towards an empty net, they wouldn't end up with so many last minute goals against.
Icing the puck will lead to even more last minute goals against us. Other than Bozak, nobody can win an important faceoff

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To even ever suggest that McElhinney has any chance of stealing the #1 job away from Andersen is laughable. McElhinney is a solid backup, that's it. Absolutely 0 controversy. Especially not after one game. Come on.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
To even ever suggest that McElhinney has any chance of stealing the #1 job away from Anderesen is laughable. McElhinney is a solid backup, that's it. Absolutely 0 controversy. Especially not after one game. Come on.

He has generally not been even that. A rather weak backup, having a terrific year. And now he's started well for us, but we are talking about a few games here.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He has generally not been even that. A rather weak backup, having a terrific year. And now he's started well for us, but we are talking about a few games here.

Yeah I certainly hope the Leafs look at his history overall. I hope we ride McElhinney a little more than just back to back games because he's looking good this year but we still need someone better next year because his resume shows that this little stretch of good games is not going to last much longer.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah I certainly hope the Leafs look at his history overall. I hope we ride McElhinney a little more than just back to back games because he's looking good this year but we still need someone better next year because his resume shows that this little stretch of good games is not going to last much longer.

Do you even trust him to play in a pivotal game in late March, let's say? I don't.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
To even ever suggest that McElhinney has any chance of stealing the #1 job away from Andersen is laughable. McElhinney is a solid backup, that's it. Absolutely 0 controversy. Especially not after one game. Come on.

If Andersen has a good outing tomorrow there will be no controversy. If, however, he allows another 4-5 goals against, there will be one.

Now, I'm not personally suggesting McElhinney should play over Andersen, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be the hot media topic until Saturday's game.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Do you even trust him to play in a pivotal game in late March, let's say? I don't.

If Andersen isn't playing well, do we have a choice? Andersen needs to be better, otherwise, it's just the lesser of two evils at that point.

Andersen has now been bad for two months, average for one, great for one, and if this month so far is any indicator, it's another bad month.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
If Andersen has a good outing tomorrow there will be no controversy. If, however, he allows another 4-5 goals against, there will be one.

Now, I'm not personally suggesting McElhinney should play over Andersen, but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be the hot media topic until Saturday's game.

Andersen could let in 17 goals tomorrow night, he's still our undisputed starter for the rest of the year either way.

That being said, I hope we give McElhinney a decent number of games down the stretch so that Andersen can stay sharp. If he plays 7-8 of the final 30 that probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Besides, if we make the playoffs, we'll need Andersen to still have some energy left.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Andersen could let in 17 goals tomorrow night, he's still our undisputed starter for the rest of the year either way.

That being said, I hope we give McElhinney a decent number of games down the stretch so that Andersen can stay sharp. If he plays 7-8 of the final 30 that probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Besides, if we make the playoffs, we'll need Andersen to still have some energy left.

In the eyes of Leaf management? Of course he is.

In the eyes of the media and some fans? We'll see. :popcorn:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Stealing his job? No. But he might get some additional starts outside of back-to-back games.

Freddy has struggled since that game where he looked injured in the 3rd period but stayed in the game.

He wasn't right after he returned from his shoulder injury to start the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he's nursing another injury at the moment. Unfortunately Freddy seems injury prone and he struggles with the extra work load.

There's a reason why they acquired McElhinney in the first place. Obviously they wanted to give Freddy some additional nights off.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

On the Leafs he's been more than just a solid backup. Small sample size of course, but he has been an outstanding backup so far.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Andersen is nowhere near proven enough to just trust that he'll break out of a slump quickly, especially when your other goalie is playing well.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
In the eyes of Leaf management? Of course he is.

In the eyes of the media and some fans? We'll see. :popcorn:
And the former is the only opinion that matters.

Frankly, everyone would be better off if the media and fans would shut their mouths every once in a while instead of trying to look for problems where there are none to begin with.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
It wouldn't surprise me if McBackup got the next start. There's no controversy, we have a starter and we have a backup. But Freddy has played a ton and it doesn't seem like a bad idea to get him some rest at some point. Or is there some rule that says that backups only play when there's back to back games?

My personal opinion is that Andersen is not tired, but opposite is true - those mandated 5 days break and All star break got him out of the rhythm. We need to play him regularly for him to get it back.
Unless, of course, he nursing some sort of injury as some posters noticed here.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
IMO, the backup won't see another game until the next back to back situation.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Andersen is nowhere near proven enough to just trust that he'll break out of a slump quickly, especially when your other goalie is playing well.

I have no doubts he'll be fine. When I watch Andersen I see a fundamentally good goalie. He has let in some questionable goals but not at the level of "Bernier stinkers", and generally watching him I don't ever get a sense of discomfort or fear of a puck going near him like I did with Leafs goalies of the past.

Even McElhinney got extremely lucky many times last night. That's not to take anything away from him because he did play well, but he was scrambly and let out some huge rebounds. Leafs D did a good job of protecting the slot yesterday and recovering loose pucks before Dallas could get to them.

I fully expect Andersen to finish the year with a sv% in the ballpark of ~.918-.920

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And the former is the only opinion that matters.

Frankly, everyone would be better off if the media and fans would shut their mouths every once in a while instead of trying to look for problems where there are none to begin with.

Then what would many around here do with their free time? :laugh:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You can't trust Andersen that he will break out of his slump but you can trust McElhinney to keep up his level of play by playing him more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad