Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win: Van Ryn's System Brings Nirvana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
What even is Van Ryn's system?

Can someone please explain it to me? Like I was a three year old child lacking in understanding. Because I watch every game and I don't have a clue what system we're talking about.

Looks like the players don't either.

Whatever this system is the team better get better at it. Because it's not working very good. Hey, they won a game last night, that's awesome.

They've now won exactly one more game than they've lost.

This is dragging on for too long. ML$E is cutting it too close. Taking the chance these guys aren't gonna keep whipsawing around a .500 record only to miss the playoffs on the last game of the year.

If they think it couldn't happen they should just look at Van Ryn's system and ask themselves exactly what the f*** is going on there anyway?
Ive been asking the same questions for the last 45 games. I have 0 clue what Toronto system is... Collaspe from the point and try to clog the shooting lanes?

They defend very poorly infront of their own net… Dunno if it’s the players or system causing that.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Only a couple of times that they got pinned in their zone. Lots of flick out and chase that gave them more space to go on rushes. Great game.

Keep that intensity.

POG Benoit

Reactions: bax

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I'm getting old literally couldn't stay awake for the 3rd. Must have been dreaming , Samsonov stood on his head. Great to see the highlights. We need last years Sammy back badly.

Reactions: bax

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I still don't get how that team won 8 games in a row. In any event, after all the hand-wringing, the Leafs are only 4 points behind a Florida team that is playing pretty poorly themselves.
I think their AHL team was playing last night and I hope they miss the playoffs be one point and pick one spot ahead of TTOE.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

Then why did he only play 8 minutes with fresh legs on a b2b?!? Keefes treatment of him is mind boggling. If Nick's scratched again next game Keefe needs to go.

Keefe has to go regardless. I also think it might be time to put Benoit beside Rielly and give him more minutes. I know they both shoot left but so does Brodie. If we’ve learned anything the past few years it’s that Brodie has regressed as a 20+ minute dman. Put Brodie up against weaker opposition.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I love how Keefe gushed about him, took credit, like he was some genius for putting him in last night. His comments actual made him look like a fool. This kid is on a 21 goal pace, with no pp or even respectable minutes. For a team desperate for depth scoring, it’s a joke he isn’t in every night.
He also ruined the chemistry of the third line. Him, Domi and Jarnkrok had a nice thing going for a bit and then after a short slump for Robby he f***s up the entire line.

Reactions: arso40

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
He also ruined the chemistry of the third line. Him, Domi and Jarnkrok had a nice thing going for a bit and then after a short slump for Robby he f***s up the entire line.
Robertson is a scorer and a shooter. I’d try Robertson on the second line instead of Bertuzzi. I think teams will learn to respect his shot which may give more time and space to Nylander. If they don’t, Styles can feed Robertson for wide open shots. I believe Robertson should play in the top 6.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Exactly. Recall he was so happy to have finally found a third line, Domi found chemistry and he abandons it. Domi hasn't been as good either since Robertson sat. I like the 12 last night, Holmberg on the fourth is a good fit, I'm not keeping McMann in if it means 89 sits. He's been okay but completely expendable too.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
One thing I find strange on the PP is seeing Rielly moving down low and 34 and 88 at the points. I'm thinking why not use Bertuzzi instead of Rielly on PP1 if you are not going to use your one dman at the point so he can defend if the opponent breaks out? I believe there was one PP where Willie was the last man back and I recall Tavares breaking up a 2 on 1.

One issue I have with Keefe is that he does not throw any of the plugs a bone when it comes to PP1. The regular season is time to see what you got, why not put Bert out on PP1 occasionally instead of Tavares? IIRC Bert played on the Bruins PP in the playoffs and did well. It is not like Tavares is lighting it up lately.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Loved seeing Benoit give it to Tanev and the McCabe shutting him up by fighting him.

That’s effective grit and physicality.

Nice defensive game, great tending from Sammy. Matthews and Marner were fun to watch. Knies and Robertson looked great.

Seattle was missing some key guys but when you’re struggling it’s nice to win in this fashion.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Exactly. Recall he was so happy to have finally found a third line, Domi found chemistry and he abandons it. Domi hasn't been as good either since Robertson sat. I like the 12 last night, Holmberg on the fourth is a good fit, I'm not keeping McMann in if it means 89 sits. He's been okay but completely expendable too.

Honestly would trying Holmberg with Tavares and Nylander, or put Knies there and put Holmberg with Marner/Matthews.

Drop Bertuzzi to the 4th line. Bert just seems to not be fast enough to be effective on the forecheck. Particularly with JT who is slow as well.

Reactions: DarkKnight

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
One thing I find strange on the PP is seeing Rielly moving down low and 34 and 88 at the points. I'm thinking why not use Bertuzzi instead of Rielly on PP1 if you are not going to use your one dman at the point so he can defend if the opponent breaks out? I believe there was one PP where Willie was the last man back and I recall Tavares breaking up a 2 on 1.

One issue I have with Keefe is that he does not throw any of the plugs a bone when it comes to PP1. The regular season is time to see what you got, why not put Bert out on PP1 occasionally instead of Tavares? IIRC Bert played on the Bruins PP in the playoffs and did well. It is not like Tavares is lighting it up lately.
Willy as QB on the PP isn't so bad - there are bigger problems. JT doesn't screen so much as stand to the side looking for a deflection or rebound. Mitch is below the goal line a lot. Matty and Rielly (and Mitch) stay on the outside and don't move much. Opposing players can form a box and nobody is forcing them to move out of position. The end result is a lot of perimeter passing, ending in either a low percentage pass attempt (usually Mitch to Matty) or a shot from outside with no screen.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Willy as QB on the PP isn't so bad - there are bigger problems. JT doesn't screen so much as stand to the side looking for a deflection or rebound. Mitch is below the goal line a lot. Matty and Rielly (and Mitch) stay on the outside and don't move much. Opposing players can form a box and nobody is forcing them to move out of position. The end result is a lot of perimeter passing, ending in either a low percentage pass attempt (usually Mitch to Matty) or a shot from outside with no screen.

They struggle when they stand still and just pass the puck around.

It’s far more dangerous once they actually get their feet moving and rotate.

I have no idea how they haven’t figured this out yet .. it feels like they don’t practice set plays much and just rely on their creativity to find passing lanes for shots.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not going to see one. 2-2 road trip. Not great but not the worst
Won the games they should have won, lost the games you'd figure they'd lose. Continuing their season long mediocrity. (15-14-16 in regulation)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A Matthews B
C Nylander D
Knies Domi Marner
Tavares Kampf E
A, B, C, D and E are (in no particular order) Bertuzzi, Gregor, Holmberg, Jarnkrok, McMann, and Robertson (oh, all right, alphabetic order). Mix and match to see what works best, then LEAVE THEM THAT WAY!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Without Sammy folks that game was tied .. what an amazing 10-beller with game on da line .. Domi stated it very clearly .. da JT PR campaign has started with MLSE .. wow .. fact is he only looked better because Seattle is a really really slow team .. makes me LOL

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Won the games they should have won, lost the games you'd figure they'd lose. Continuing their season long mediocrity. (15-14-16 in regulation)
By regulation PTS%, they're now in a 5 way tie for 6-10th in the East, 13-17th overall, a bubble team any way you slice it. If we somehow manage to make the playoffs again, would that maybe some all-time Leaf record or something for making the playoffs in consecutive years?

All-time great players, all-time great team. How fortunate to be alive at the same time these warriors are re-writing the record books. GLG!!

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah, I have been saying we should throw Bert a bone and replace JT on PP1. But no can do says Keefe. Makes me think these guys who come here on a one year could not give a rat's ass when they see the same guys have everything their way. This is not a team and Keefe is not a good coach IMO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A Matthews B
C Nylander D
Knies Domi Marner
Tavares Kampf E
A, B, C, D and E are (in no particular order) Bertuzzi, Gregor, Holmberg, Jarnkrok, McMann, and Robertson (oh, all right, alphabetic order). Mix and match to see what works best, then LEAVE THEM THAT WAY!
Come on. You think they embarrass JT by putting him on the 4th line and on the wing ??

Friedman suggested putting him on LW next to Matty but that leaves a hole at C.

I like another poster's idea to acquire another #2C and move JT to #3C.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
A Matthews B
C Nylander D
Knies Domi Marner
Tavares Kampf E
English please

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Good game. Gotta win games. Well done Sammy. I knew it was there and he was going to be good again. He saved the game for the Leafs multiple times.

Auston Matthews is a rock star and the true leader of the Leafs. Matthews skates 200 ft and helps in defense, has lots of hits, and takeaways. He also blocks a shit ton of shots.

1705951913274.png

NOW on the addressing MYTHS:
1. Leafs are soft .... Leafs are 4th in the NHL in hits. 3rd in Hits/60

2. Keefe/MVR are bad coaches ....
Leafs shots against:
vs EDM
1st: 12
2nd: 12
3rd: 8

vs CGY
1st: 11
2nd: 10
3rd: 5
v
s VAN
1st: 9
2nd: 6
3rd: 6

vs SEA
1st: 6
2nd: 7
3rd: 4

Leafs are on the verge of figuring it all out ... Leafs are going to go on a roll

Reactions: Confucius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad