Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win: Van Ryn's System Brings Nirvana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Good game. Gotta win games. Well done Sammy. I knew it was there and he was going to be good again. He saved the game for the Leafs multiple times.

Auston Matthews is a rock star and the true leader of the Leafs. Matthews skates 200 ft and helps in defense, has lots of hits, and takeaways. He also blocks a shit ton of shots.

View attachment 808113

NOW on the addressing MYTHS:
1. Leafs are soft .... Leafs are 4th in the NHL in hits. 3rd in Hits/60

2. Keefe/MVR are bad coaches ....
Leafs shots against:
vs EDM
1st: 12
2nd: 12
3rd: 8

vs CGY
1st: 11
2nd: 10
3rd: 5
v
s VAN
1st: 9
2nd: 6
3rd: 6

vs SEA
1st: 6
2nd: 7
3rd: 4

Leafs are on the verge of figuring it all out ... Leafs are going to go on a roll
A lot of the struggles have down to goaltending issues. If Samsonov and then Woll can provide even adequate goaltending the Leafs will win a lot more than they lose. The defense unquestionably still needs work, but it's generally easier to solve for a struggling defense than for a struggling goalie.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Last time I did this Sammy went on a run, so here goes, Sammy Smiles is back!

View attachment 807880
1705962669363.jpeg

1705962750988.jpeg

Waaaaait a minute……..

😱

• Haha
Reactions: glue

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Really happy for Samsonov to have a solid game and that game-saving stop at the end.

Not sure if people caught his post-game interview but he spoke about his struggles and how much it has meant to him to have the support of his teammates, coaches, and the organization. He was really vulnerable and made me want to root for him all the more!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Really happy for Samsonov to have a solid game and that game-saving stop at the end.

Not sure if people caught his post-game interview but he spoke about his struggles and how much it has meant to him to have the support of his teammates, coaches, and the organization. He was really vulnerable and made me want to root for him all the more!
Players looked pretty happy for him at the end. Lots of big hugs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Come on. You think they embarrass JT by putting him on the 4th line and on the wing ??

Friedman suggested putting him on LW next to Matty but that leaves a hole at C.

I like another poster's idea to acquire another #2C and move JT to #3C.
Not that I think they will, but that they should.

If you want to reunite the Knies-Domi-Marner line and try Willy or anyone else at 2C, where does he go?

If you're going to split the three best players up and at the same time free them from having to drag him around, what's the choice? Maybe 4C.

Do you think he would be an asset with Matty and Mitch? Him playing with them would be an asset to Willy and Bert.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Good game. Gotta win games. Well done Sammy. I knew it was there and he was going to be good again. He saved the game for the Leafs multiple times.

Auston Matthews is a rock star and the true leader of the Leafs. Matthews skates 200 ft and helps in defense, has lots of hits, and takeaways. He also blocks a shit ton of shots.

View attachment 808113

NOW on the addressing MYTHS:
1. Leafs are soft .... Leafs are 4th in the NHL in hits. 3rd in Hits/60

2. Keefe/MVR are bad coaches ....
Leafs shots against:
vs EDM
1st: 12
2nd: 12
3rd: 8

vs CGY
1st: 11
2nd: 10
3rd: 5
v
s VAN
1st: 9
2nd: 6
3rd: 6

vs SEA
1st: 6
2nd: 7
3rd: 4

Leafs are on the verge of figuring it all out ... Leafs are going to go on a roll
They played Matthews and Marner ~ 25 mins each and would've given up a late game tying goal if the guy gets it air against Seattle.
That’s who they are, and probably what they’ll be the rest of the way.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Not that I think they will, but that they should.

If you want to reunite the Knies-Domi-Marner line and try Willy or anyone else at 2C, where does he go?

If you're going to split the three best players up and at the same time free them from having to drag him around, what's the choice? Maybe 4C.

Do you think he would be an asset with Matty and Mitch? Him playing with them would be an asset to Willy and Bert.
They won't take JT of PP1, doubt they play him that low.

We could try this but I doubt they like WN at C.

JT AM CJ
MK MD MM
TB WN PH

At the end of the day, you are just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. They are screwed until JT comes off the books.

Reactions: rumman

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
What is up with Keefe's hate for Robertson? Least amount of ice time tonight with 4 goals in his last 6 they were saying? As soon as he scored the leafs go on a PP and Keefe removes him from PP2.

I don't get it.
I don’t think it was pp goal

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
They won't take JT of PP1, doubt they play him that low.

We could try this but I doubt they like WN at C.

JT AM CJ
MK MD MM
TB WN PH
At the end of the day, you are just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. They are screwed until JT comes off the books.
MK AM MM
TB MD WN
NR JT CJ
BM DK PH
As I agree they wouldn’t put Willy in the middle but if they would I would move Bert to his off wing and play domi on the left wing

Reactions: ToneDog

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The issue still remains, Samsonov is not a proven playoff goalie. He is 5 and 9 in the big games. This formula of hoping your goalie gets hot is dodgy. We gambled on goaltending this year and if the Leafs want to win anything they need a proven number one guy.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
The issue still remains, Samsonov is not a proven playoff goalie. He is 5 and 9 in the big games. This formula of hoping your goalie gets hot is dodgy. We gambled on goaltending this year and if the Leafs want to win anything they need a proven number one guy.
Gotta hope it’s woll

Reactions: Evilhomer

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
What is up with Keefe's hate for Robertson? Least amount of ice time tonight with 4 goals in his last 6 they were saying? As soon as he scored the leafs go on a PP and Keefe removes him from PP2.

I don't get it.

Robertson makes too many mental errors with the puck, probably a result of him wanting to impress the coach/ prove he belongs in the NHL and as a result he forces plays that are not there, he will, at times, manage the puck poorly. He's not a guy I trust with the puck, Keefe probably does not trust him with the puck either, which is why he plays him bottom of the lineup minutes. The big four does exactly the same stupid shit but they have a protection bubble around them, Keefe benches one of them, there is holy hell to pay, he benches a kid who plays 12 min an night, no one really cares.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
A lot of the struggles have down to goaltending issues. If Samsonov and then Woll can provide even adequate goaltending the Leafs will win a lot more than they lose. The defense unquestionably still needs work, but it's generally easier to solve for a struggling defense than for a struggling goalie.
I would also add that zero production from an 11 million dollar 2nd line centre is also problematic

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
So, thats the formula to win a cup?
As far as goaltending we can’t really afford to spend on it we have the baccend to sure up and if anything a defensive forward really the d though😭I know it’s tough who knows though maybe we’re the 24 version of the blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad