Post-Game Talk: Leafs win in regulation. Woll Hurt

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Benoit has been very reliable even if he's not the best skater or puckmover.
He has that Ron Hainsey playstyle where they aren't the fastest but extremely smart, takes good angles, plays very low risk hockey, long reach, blocks shots and plays the body when needed.

Had never actually watched him play before this season but this was a nice signing.
Benoit plays a style of D I appreciate, I’d rather have 6 rock solid defensive defensemen than offensive defensemen who can’t defend……….

Reactions: weems and rutz

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I hope you took note that the one who complain are a small very vocal minority.

You can get a lot out of putting some on ignore.
Ahhhh...I have always refused to put people on ignore, my optimistic view is I might not like them now but maybe I will later. Maybe it's time to reconsider that rather than leaving this board.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The issue is not that he stole a game, the issue is that he HAD to steal a game and we have looked like shit in almost every game but the Minny game. This team is better than a team, that just/only relies on a goalie to steal every game. Players will have career nights, players will overachieve but that cant be the game plan, there has to be puck management, there has to be some sort of control. Fans are not bitching about an 82-0 team, they are concerned a Stanley cup contender does not look like a Stanley cup contender.

Agreed. The team needs to be better. But the doom and gloom around a team that's 6-1-1 in the last 8 while on pace for 100 points is crazy. There are 50 games left, people need to step back from the ledge and enjoy the season..enjoy hockey. I don't get how the depression crew enjoys watching if they are this down after a win..any win.

Maybe the Leafs are all they have going on in their lives? If their happiness is only tied to the Leafs, then ya I can see how the anxiety would ramp up if they don't look great, even if they are winning.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ahhhh...I have always refused to put people on ignore, my optimistic view is I might not like them now but maybe I will later. Maybe it's time to reconsider that rather than leaving this board.
Worst thing about this forum is the server, meet the new boss same as the old boss, too many ads and reboots galore, who wouldn’t be here for more than a half hour and not be in a bad mood………..

• Love
Reactions: TMLife17

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That stat is probably not advanced enough for people. Never mind looking at their schedule this month. 3 against Columbus, the Islanders, the Penguins, Buffalo, Ottawa again. Literally some of the worst teams in the league. The Leafs are going to keep piling up lots of points until they are right up against Boston, but I guess people will still complain that they don't like ]how they earn them.
I thought the generally accepted rule is that we play well against good teams, and suck (and lose) against the bad teams.

If we're playing seven of eleven against the worst teams, we're heading for a losing streak. The only saving grace is that we play the Rangers (best team in the league) twice.

Reactions: mikeyz

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If Nylander wants 11 million sit him down and show him the tape of his two pathetic clearing attempts yesterday. Pathetic.
And his agent will show you the tape of his goal.

Actually, Nylander already admitted that those were bad in the post-game interview, without being prompted.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

This is such a true quote from a Leaf player:

"Toronto is a funny team. Before losing to Boston in a crazy overtime last Saturday, the Maple Leafs were 6-1-1 in their previous eight games. A couple of players were half-laughing, half-rolling their eyes at the perception of their group.

“Any other team with that record missing three defencemen would be praised for finding a way,” one said. “Here …
The first paragraph is Friedman talking, not a player. He doesn't say which Leaf made the second half.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Is it weird that am really bummed out about Wol getting injured.

Kid was on a roll against Sens and was getting in a groove.

What a worst time to get injured :(

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Is it weird that am really bummed out about Wol getting injured.

Kid was on a roll against Sens and was getting in a groove.

What a worst time to get injured :(

It's not weird at all.

Woll was the brightest spot for me this season. Even moreso than Knies. He was the one keeping the team afloat.

I don't think anyone has much confidence in a 2a/2b tandem of Samsonov and Jones.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
We look like total shit and the core is still cruising to a 100 point season.

Now do people see why some of us dislike Dubas so much? You should be easily winning a cup over the last few years or at least winning rounds regularly if this is what you get to build around.

But nothing. Little cute money puck moves to make sure the xGF looks pretty and that's it.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's not weird at all.

Woll was the brightest spot for me this season. Even moreso than Knies. He was the one keeping the team afloat.

I don't think anyone has much confidence in a 2a/2b tandem of Samsonov and Jones.
It's more than that, at least for me. He's the "great white hope", the unicorn, possibly the first quality home grown goalie we've had since Felix Potvin and that would be absolutely massive if it happens.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Agreed. The team needs to be better. But the doom and gloom around a team that's 6-1-1 in the last 8 while on pace for 100 points is crazy. There are 50 games left, people need to step back from the ledge and enjoy the season..enjoy hockey. I don't get how the depression crew enjoys watching if they are this down after a win..any win.

Maybe the Leafs are all they have going on in their lives? If their happiness is only tied to the Leafs, then ya I can see how the anxiety would ramp up if they don't look great, even if they are winning.
For this team, regular season is about the process. Right now, that process is concerning.

This looks like a team with no identity and one that isn't all that fun to watch. At least they are picking up points along the way

Reactions: ACC1224

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Woll is part of the team. A member of the team had a great night and we won. That happened last week when Marner got a hattrick. But I guess to you wins only count when our goalies don't need to play well

Not too many team's have great records without their goalie stealing a few games. Cujo got us into the playoffs on his play a time or two as well.

It has been a weird 1st quarter of the season. Lots of injuried, new players having to adjust, some blown leads, and and some big comebacks.

Assuming Woll is out, if we can get Sammy to play anywhere over .900, I think we will be ok.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It's more than that, at least for me. He's the "great white hope", the unicorn, possibly the first quality home grown goalie we've had since Felix Potvin and that would be absolutely massive if it happens.

He's the first goalie in a long, long, time I had high hopes for as well.

I'm pretty bummed he got hurt too.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Another goal with the 4th line on the ice against Ottawas top line. Keefe has top stop being stupid. Stop using Reaves and improve that line whether it’s McMann or someone else.
The 4th line looked great with Kampf, Gregor, and McMann. I don't want to blame it all on RR, but he's just not a good fit on that line.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's the first goalie in a long, long, time I had high hopes for as well.

I'm pretty bummed he got hurt too.
I'm torn. On one hand, I hope it's not a serious injury and he's back playing soon. On the other hand, if he will make a full recovery then it might be better if he was out for the season if (and this is a big if) Tre decided to wrote off the season and be a seller. Getting picks/prospects for Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie and whoever else and just reloading in general could be a very good thing. Hell sell off Nylander while you're at it, just bring him back in the summer. ;)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I'm getting the feeling that a large group of fans are suddenly coming to the realization that this team isn't good enough to win the Stanley Cup. Which is simply shocking to me, because it implies that up until now, they did.
With this much talent, it's hard to think that any Leafs fan would not be full of hope at the dawn of a new season. Anybody who was thinking any different just aren't able to overcome their inward pessimism and likely live painfully miserable lives.

I'm one of those types that being behind 1 or more goals at the end of the first doesn't mean an automatic loss and start ranting about firing coaches, the GM and trading our woeful, useless slugs on skates for other teams superstars and retiring the rest.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The 4th line looked great with Kampf, Gregor, and McMann. I don't want to blame it all on RR, but he's just not a good fit on that line.
He has a place and last night threw 3 big hits and a couple of look offs that made opponents flinch and play a little more cautiously. As long as he doesn't play all 82 and when he does sub 8 minutes, all would be well. Getting Gregor extra minutes and maybe Kampf as well(8 or 9 isn't enough for those guys) just double shift one of the 1, 2 or 3 line guys in Reaves stead.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
With this much talent, it's hard to think that any Leafs fan would not be full of hope at the dawn of a new season. Anybody who was thinking any different just aren't able to overcome their inward pessimism and likely live painfully miserable lives.

I'm one of those types that being behind 1 or more goals at the end of the first doesn't mean an automatic loss and start ranting about firing coaches, the GM and trading our woeful, useless slugs on skates for other teams superstars and retiring the rest.
It's hard to think that any Leafs fan would have much hope of winning the cup when the same core with the 1-7 playoff series record is back once again.

It's hard to think that any Leafs fan doesn't know by now that talent isn't enough and whatever else it is that you need to win the cup, we don't have it.

Hockey's still fun to watch though and LOL at this "painfully miserable lives" nonsense. If your happiness depends on how you view this hockey team, I suggest getting a life.

Reactions: TMLife17

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Well sports also attracts cynics and people who gamble based on hunches/luck/emotion.

Not exactly a playground for positivity.

Yeah you're right -- it comes with the territory. I don't think you'll find two many hockey boards without a few negative Nancy's floating about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad