Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win. Andersen Bounced Back. Marner 1st NHL Goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I doubt he's hanging around hoping to get signed here.
Wants to stay in shape in case another Team comes calling, Leafs are helping him out as he must be a good guy.

It's about keeping as many options open as possible.

He stays in shape while helping out the Leafs team. By doing that, he can be ready if the Leafs or any other team calls him for help when the IR list gets too long.

He is also showing that he's a team guy by sticking around which could land him a job off the ice for the Leafs in whatever capacity the Leafs feel is needed.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Kadri is 2 and Oh versus Backes

:handclap:

I'm all for homerism, but I'd call that a draw if anything

If he's hurt, it's because Backes probably tore up his hand on Naz's visor

for a guy to risk injuring his hand on a visor, there's gotta be some deep hate going on as that was staged right off the draw

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Didn't he just cut his hand on Kadri's visor, or is it something more serious than that?

Yeah, his hand was bleeding after the fight. Could be the helmet or him falling awkwardly, but the visor is the most likely culprit.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
My take is kessel was traded in much the same light subban was traded.

His attitude.

In toronto hes asked to be a superstar and lead, in pittsburgh he was just a top 6 forward with no spotlight.

As a leader, he sucks. He struck me as having a **** attitude, was frusturated and gave an aura of entitlement. In pittsburgh, completly different environment...

There is a reason he was passed over for the world cup. Just as subban is constantly passed over. His attitude sucks.

Which has nothing to do with his off ice actions. Sick kids and what not.

So having an expensive, long term skilled forward who cant be the leader of the team handicaps the team and its idientity and underminds babcocks ability to try and implent direction. This is to say nothing about his defensive liabilities.

He had to go. I was happy he left, and i didnt care what they got for him, as with him the leafs would just spin their wheels and get nowhere.

Kessel was on the Olympic team. There has also been American coaches and management heads that have expressed their like for Kessel so your point is moot.

Kessel had to go agreed but he's gone now. Let's relax with the blind hate. I'm sure Kessel is much happier winning a Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh while being slightly edged out of a Conn Smyth than he would be here in Toronto being ridiculed for "bad attitude".

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

It's funny because this summer lots of people tried to downplay the economic benefits of a star player in Toronto (w/ Stamkos) but this is the proof right here.

Star players in the big market will make huge money, don't care what the tax bracket looks like

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Kessel was on the Olympic team. There has also been American coaches and management heads that have expressed their like for Kessel so your point is moot.

Kessel had to go agreed but he's gone now. Let's relax with the blind hate. I'm sure Kessel is much happier winning a Stanley Cup in Pittsburgh while being slightly edged out of a Conn Smyth than he would be here in Toronto being ridiculed for "bad attitude".

Kessel had his shot and then based on his attitude, was not asked back. And because of his attitude most likely won't be asked back for future teams as well.

It's not blind hate fella. When you watch a team, you get a sense for a players behavior through how they carry themselves both on and off the ice...and Kessel carried himself like a self entitled smug arrogant pos. In the same way, you get the sense that Matthews is very reserved and mature, while Marner is excited and high energy. This isn't blind perception....we all can see it plain as day.

(that escalated quickly, didn't it)

And while I'm sure he's in a much better situation in Pittsburgh (that much is obvious), so are the Leafs without him here.

It was a win/win.

If they got NOTHING for him, it would still be considered a great move by Toronto as he was venom in the locker room.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm all for homerism, but I'd call that a draw if anything

If he's hurt, it's because Backes probably tore up his hand on Naz's visor

for a guy to risk injuring his hand on a visor, there's gotta be some deep hate going on as that was staged right off the draw

I mean, Backes had a visor too...

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
And while I'm sure he's in a much better situation in Pittsburgh (that much is obvious), so are the Leafs without him here.

It was a win/win.

If they got NOTHING for him, it would still be considered a great move by Toronto as he was venom in the locker room.

Do you have any sort of proof to state something with such certainty? The only evidence I've seen is that people loved having him as a teammate. You can argue he needed to go because he didn't fit the plan for the team, you can argue his prime would have been wasted as we rebuild but you can not state he was venom in the locker room.

The guy was traded and all evidence indicates he loved living and playing in Toronto and the players loved having him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Kessel had his shot and then based on his attitude, was not asked back. And because of his attitude most likely won't be asked back for future teams as well.

It's not blind hate fella. When you watch a team, you get a sense for a players behavior through how they carry themselves both on and off the ice...and Kessel carried himself like a self entitled smug arrogant pos. In the same way, you get the sense that Matthews is very reserved and mature, while Marner is excited and high energy. This isn't blind perception....we all can see it plain as day.

It was a win/win.

I believe that team USA management was just bad. Selected a bad coach and designed a bed team. Not selecting Kessel was a bad decision.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It was a win/win.

Never seen him described that way, not sure it fits. Seems a little over dramatic and exaggerated.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Never seen him described that way, not sure it fits. Seems a little over dramatic and exaggerated.

Because he looked and sounded like a guy who trained hard on the off season, during practices and didn't come in over weight.

As far as his play was concerned he was an obvious defensive liability because he refused to backcheck.

These are not qualities of a leader. And when you pay someone the money we were paying Phil...that's a designation of seniority in the locker room and his "work ethic" if you could call it that would have been a guide for the youngsters as to how to get by in Toronto.

I don't think for a minute he treats Pittsburgh as he did Toronto. And that's fine. But knowing you have a wave of young new talent on the horizon coming in...Babcock (and I'm assuming it's Babcock) was correct in not wanting him on the roster for even 1 game when Babcock took the reins.

Why have someone of such high stature secretly undermine your coaching in practice or otherwise?

So you can add Babcock as a list of people not wanting Kessel on their team.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
I believe that team USA management was just bad. Selected a bad coach and designed a bed team. Not selecting Kessel was a bad decision.

Kessel would have had zero impact on the outcome of US at the world. And I'll say it's a safe bet he won't be asked to either the Olympics or the next WC team because of his comments.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
Do you have any sort of proof to state something with such certainty? The only evidence I've seen is that people loved having him as a teammate. You can argue he needed to go because he didn't fit the plan for the team, you can argue his prime would have been wasted as we rebuild but you can not state he was venom in the locker room.

The guy was traded and all evidence indicates he loved living and playing in Toronto and the players loved having him.

Babcock is a smart fello. He's a coach who actually 'coaches' players. How can you say to your youngsters "work hard, back check, train in the off season"

When one of your highest paid players refuses to instill those attributes?

When I say venom...I don't mean his attitude towards other players. I more refer to ****** examples he would set to our youth.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Kessel would have had zero impact on the outcome of US at the world. And I'll say it's a safe bet he won't be asked to either the Olympics or the next WC team because of his comments.

Kessel would have dominated team Europe and the Czechs.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Bold call considering it's looking like the NHL isn't going to be involved to begin with :laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Because he looked and sounded like a guy who trained hard on the off season, during practices and didn't come in over weight.

As far as his play was concerned he was an obvious defensive liability because he refused to backcheck.

These are not qualities of a leader. And when you pay someone the money we were paying Phil...that's a designation of seniority in the locker room and his "work ethic" if you could call it that would have been a guide for the youngsters as to how to get by in Toronto.

I don't think for a minute he treats Pittsburgh as he did Toronto. And that's fine. But knowing you have a wave of young new talent on the horizon coming in...Babcock (and I'm assuming it's Babcock) was correct in not wanting him on the roster for even 1 game when Babcock took the reins.

Why have someone of such high stature secretly undermine your coaching in practice or otherwise?

So you can add Babcock as a list of people not wanting Kessel on their team.

He had many flaws no doubt none of which were "self entitled smug arrogant pos" or "venom in the locker room" from as far as we know.

Kessel has a reputation for being a humble, awkward, quiet type of guy.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

How can you say with certainty that the player who was chosen as the top forward at the 2014 Winter Olympics and was likely 2nd in voting for the 2016 Conn Smythe would have "zero impact."

You are legitimately saying an MVP caliber player would have no impact on a team that struggled to score :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

:laugh: ...and with that.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010

This is a guy who won the best forward award at the 2014 olympics and was a couple votes short of winning a Conn Smythe, along with leading Pittsburgh in scoring during their cup-run.

Did Kessel steal your girlfriend or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad