Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 7-6 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
So you think that changing something that has been the same throughout the history of the game will maintain the "integrity of the game" better than removing the increasingly oversized cheaters that goalies have been adding to their equipment over the last few decades?

They've already chanced the nets to a degree. They were made significantly shallower a few years back.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So you think that changing something that has been the same throughout the history of the game will maintain the "integrity of the game" better than removing the increasingly oversized cheaters that goalies have been adding to their equipment over the last few decades?
You’re not getting equipment back to where it was obviously. I’m talking about making the net a couple inches bigger to reflect reality. When golf made the holes longer and the greens tougher nobody cried foul.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You’re not getting equipment back to where it was obviously. I’m talking about making the net a couple inches bigger to reflect reality. When golf made the holes longer and the greens tougher nobody cried foul.

There's been no standard length for golf holes though.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There's been no standard length for golf holes though.
Also, recall many rinks used to be smaller, so was there really a standard in the pure past? Remember Buffalo and Boston, wasn't even the same game. Anyways, say you want to make nets a touch bigger and its blasphemy. Pads aren't going back, there is liability concerns as well, then factor in the sheer size of the people, it's a diffeenrer game anyways.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think the nets need to be bigger. Move each net 2 feet out. More room behind the net and it also makes the point shot 2 feet closer. And why do we take the zone faceoff on the left and right sides when the net is in the middle?
It's harder to shovel the puck into the corner when you are taking the faceoff right in the middle of the zone.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also, recall many rinks used to be smaller, so was there really a standard in the pure past? Remember Buffalo and Boston, wasn't even the same game. Anyways, say you want to make nets a touch bigger and its blasphemy. Pads aren't going back, there is liability concerns as well, then factor in the sheer size of the people, it's a diffeenrer game anyways.

I'm not sure that rinks are bigger today, for sure there's no standard so they're all a bit different. Net size is standard though, I would find it very strange if that size were to change. I don't see the need for it myself. I can see the logic for rinks being bigger (though they'll never remove seats to make that happen) because players are bigger and faster but net size seems fine as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad