Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 6-5 in OT

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I think you are being a bit dramatic. Insurmountable problems? The team needs to get its injured players back and add a couple of middle of the road defensemen. I think those are hardly insurmountable problems. Wait until January when they are first in the Atlantic and then acquire the missing pieces.
Very true, part of the "insurmountable problems" is our idiot coach.
Put Knies with Matthews and Marner.
Get Robertson up with the leafs, playing AT LEAST the second line, I'd try him with Tavares and Nylander.
Bench Reaves.
Kampf gets strictly 4th line duties.
Doing all that will help a ton, but I agree adding a couple of defensemen would solve a lot as long as Klingberg is dumped somehow.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The nice thing about Domi at C is it forces him to skate and that's when hes at his best.

Nice comeback with some clutch goals, but were still bleeding chances and need to pull thay together

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Very true, part of the "insurmountable problems" is our idiot coach.
Put Knies with Matthews and Marner.
Get Robertson up with the leafs, playing AT LEAST the second line, I'd try him with Tavares and Nylander.
Bench Reaves.
Kampf gets strictly 4th line duties.
Doing all that will help a ton, but I agree adding a couple of defensemen would solve a lot as long as Klingberg is dumped somehow.
Klingberg can be an immensely useful player for this team so long as he is not overused. With the injuries, that is what is happening now. Once the defense is reset with the injured guys back, and they acquire one or two more, Klingberg can slide into the third pairing where his minutes can be sheltered. He will be a net positive in that role.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Klingberg can be an immensely useful player for this team so long as he is not overused. With the injuries, that is what is happening now. Once the defense is reset with the injured guys back, and they acquire one or two more, Klingberg can slide into the third pairing where his minutes can be sheltered. He will be a net positive in that role.

Timmins is Klingberg with less baby sitting... if they are both healthy I'd rather Timmins play

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
It was good they put Nylander out with Rielly and Jarnkrok, players who can skate. Lightning were so worried about Nylander's speed on that they over pursued him and opened the ice up for Rielly.

It's been a subject of discussion, Tavares speed playing with Nylander. Last night that seemed obvious, but unless they try Nylander at center not sure the options.
Nylander is not "stuck playing with Tavares" he is lucky as hell to have someone that good on his line. I get what you are saying but fans shouldn't lose the forest for the trees it's overall a great situation for Nylander

Last edited:

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
Nylander is not "stuck playing with Tavares" he is lucky as hell to have someone that good on his line.

Unless you put JT right in front of the net so he can unleash a rocket top corner(he's great at that) he's so bad at every other part of the game(can't skate, can't make a correct decision with the puck to save his life, works hard and still somehow loses the puck, etc)...Aside from his shot he's shit in every other way(well i guess he can win some faceoffs too?)...But anyways, 11 million for that...Yikes..

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Unless you put JT right in front of the net so he can unleash a rocket top corner(he's great at that) he's so bad at every other part of the game(can't skate, can't make a correct decision with the puck to save his life, works hard and still somehow loses the puck, etc)...Aside from his shot he's shit in every other way(well i guess he can win some faceoffs too?)...But anyways, 11 million for that...Yikes..
I am sure every coach in the NHL would agree with you.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t know how to feel about this game. On one hand it was incredible to watch them come back and beat Tampa. On the other hand it’s concerning that they fell behind 4-1 with many issues.

Reactions: Al14 and Blowfish

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
I am sure every coach in the NHL would agree with you.

Intelligent hockey players could be way more useful even if they can't skate that well..But that's the issue...On top of not being able to skate he just makes terrible decisions with the puck(go count how many times he acts like he's an 18 year old who just started playing in the league(constant moves trying to deke 2 or 3 opponents that works like 1 out of 10 times, horrible passes in dangerous areas that get intercepted and then chances for the other team, chasing his opponent in our zone and then we have to look so out of place when defending, etc)...His line(not helping that Willy can look very much like a pylon too), is always getting stuck in our zone.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Intelligent hockey players could be way more useful even if they can't skate that well..But that's the issue...On top of not being able to skate he just makes terrible decisions with the puck(go count how many times he acts like he's an 18 year old who just started playing in the league(constant moves trying to deke 2 or 3 opponents that works like 1 out of 10 times, horrible passes in dangerous areas that get intercepted and then chances for the other team, chasing his opponent in our zone and then we have to look so out of place when defending, etc)...His line(not helping that Willy can look very much like a pylon too), is always getting stuck in our zone.
Just so I'm clear, we're talking about a near-certain Hall of Fame player, right? I think maybe you are being a bit over the top.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I see Klingberg the way I used to see Jake Gardiner. I see the positives, and don't know where else the minutes would go if he wasn't here. But he's probably a net negative, if I'm being objective.

I thought Benoit was really good. He's the best #8 depth defender we've had in a long time. No panic at all whenever he has to play.

Reactions: fahad203

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don’t know how to feel about this game. On one hand it was incredible to watch them come back and beat Tampa. On the other hand it’s concerning that they fell behind 4-1 with many issues.

Samsonov made that game way harder than it should have been. 3 goals were terrible and there's no way TBL deserved to be up by 3 goals. The Leafs didn't play a great 1st period but it wasn't 4-1 bad either.

It's fun to be able to do come backs but it's not sustainable and they need a huge wake up call.

Reactions: Apex Predator

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Samsonov made that game way harder than it should have been. 3 goals were terrible and there's no way TBL deserved to be up by 3 goals. The Leafs didn't play a great 1st period but it wasn't 4-1 bad either.

It's fun to be able to do come backs but it's not sustainable and they need a huge wake up call.
I imagine Tampa fans would have the same comment about their goaltending. There were a handful of weak goals for Toronto.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
I see Klingberg the way I used to see Jake Gardiner. I see the positives, and don't know where else the minutes would go if he wasn't here. But he's probably a net negative, if I'm being objective.

I thought Benoit was really good. He's the best #8 depth defender we've had in a long time. No panic at all whenever he has to play.
Gardiner was one of the most underrated Leafs like ever. Significantly better than Klingberg.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
The crazy thing is, Matthews could have 15-20 right now. Goalies have made some unreal stops, and the posts.

We are blessed to wake up every single day, and know that Auston Matthews is here for us. 😇

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What are we giving up in return?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Positives:
Woll
Knies
Matthews
Laegesson/Benoit
Nylander a streak
Benching of Reaves

Negatives:
Samsonov
Reaves
Tavares
Bertuzzi

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For the kind of defensemen they need, not much, but as others have said, don't get too attached to the 2024 first round pick.
If we give "not much", expect "not much" in return. Not thrilled at the thought of trading away another 1st, we've already traded our 2nd round picks for the next two years as well as one first so trading our one remaining pick in top two rounds for those years leaves the cupboards pretty empty.
I think you are being a bit dramatic. Insurmountable problems? The team needs to get its injured players back and add a couple of middle of the road defensemen. I think those are hardly insurmountable problems. Wait until January when they are first in the Atlantic and then acquire the missing pieces.
I admire your optimism. For the record, I still remember you saying nobody would remember losing to LA after we beat Boston. Guess what, we didn't beat Boston and I still remember losing to LA. I also remember you saying we'd beat Buffalo, now we're in first according to you by January, perhaps you'll understand why I'm not taking your predictions seriously.

We paid a ton of draft capital at the last TDL (including two 1st round picks) and still didn't even come close to the 3rd round. Thinking that one 1st round pick is enough to get what we need to put us over the top is over the top optimistic considering our roster today <<< the roster that disappeared against a huge underdog in round 2. But like I said, I do admire your optimism, I wish I had a bit more of it myself.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
We had at least 10 players in the game tonite. Best leadership I have seen from AM.
Domi made a hockey move too, first of the year.
We shall see this week if the rest show up. 2 gut check games.
You just know that Ottawa is going to be playing like it's their SC final, so I want to see if we can come out with some fire and show them that they're pretenders. I want to see the Leafs not take them lightly for once.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Offensively, yes but both Bert and JT ain’t that good with D. Rather have AM, MM and Knies together as those three can match up opposing top line with their D.

Really wish Hyman is still around, as JT, Bert and Hyman will be fantastic
If "Bert and JT ain't that good with D", maybe that's more reason to have our Selke-winning winger with them, rather than the defensively horrible Willy? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad