Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Sooo happy we won over Ovi and Wilson. Hate em for different reasons.

Great game by Woll! Hope he take the 1st goalie position and run with it.
Something about Samsonov that tell me he is not as mentaly mature.

Reactions: Niagara Bill

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Woll outstanding.

Marner continues to do nothing. You have to wonder what this guys’ off season training regime is. He just never seems ready to go early each season.
Marners off season training regime this year was spending most of the summer sunning himself in Europe lol the slow start isn't exactly surprising.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Woll was the only player on both teams that looked like he wanted to win.

Why does it seem like every time this guy starts the team hangs him out to dry? 37 shots against vs only 17 for the Leafs. Even better is the whopping 3.98 xGA Washington had vs the miniscule 1.47 xGF for Toronto.

If it wasn't for Woll's heroics the Leafs would have lost to yet another bottom feeder.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact their defense stinks. McCabe is horrible. And Klingberg running into Matthews, then getting tied up with Brodie a minute later, is emblematic of how just bad he can be.

But the biggest disappointment so far has been Bertuzzi.

I mean, it sucks he isn't producing, but he isn't really bringing the team down any I guess. And watching the rookie goaltender stealing the show more than makes up for any disappointment in Bertuzzi. At this point I'm praying Woll is for real and can lead the team deeper into the playoffs that we've seen in over twenty years.

Such an exciting story to unfold if it happens.

Go Woll Go.

Reactions: shaner8989

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Marners off season training regime this year was spending most of the summer sunning himself in Europe lol the slow start isn't exactly surprising.

Based on what? I can complain about Mitch like the best of them, but he got married, are we really bitching about him spending two weeks in Europe? Plenty of hockey stadiums,/facilities everywhere in EU, he could have two-phase training every day and still post vacation photos in between.

Hating him for spending his honeymoon outside of Canada, how dare he! :D

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Based on what? I can complain about Mitch like the best of them, but he got married, are we really bitching about him spending two weeks in Europe? Plenty of hockey stadiums,/facilities everywhere in EU, he could have two-phase training every day and still post vacation photos in between.

Hating him for spending his honeymoon outside of Canada, how dare he! :D
I'm not hating on him. I'm just not surprised by his slow start.

horner

May 22, 2007
Woll was the first goalie drafted under the Shanaplan (in 2016) as Bibeau was the last goalies selected before him (in 2013).

I'm hoping Woll's development is a sign of improved goalie scouting/development in the org.

We've seen glimpses of it at the lower levels but not much payoff yet for the Leafs.

Akhtyamov and Hildeby are two recent picks that have shown some potential .. And Peksa is with the Growlers. Some names to keep an eye on. Ian Scott was another interesting name but unfortunately injuries ended his career.

Like any other position drafting more of them improves your chances of a hit. In the cap era the Leafs drafted 4 goals from 2006 to 2015. Whereas from 2016 to 2023, they've drafted 6 (almost 1 per year).
If Ian Scott hadn't got injured he would on the big club as well.

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
But the biggest disappointment so far has been Bertuzzi.

I mean, it sucks he isn't producing, but he isn't really bringing the team down any I guess. And watching the rookie goaltender stealing the show more than makes up for any disappointment in Bertuzzi. At this point I'm praying Woll is for real and can lead the team deeper into the playoffs that we've seen in over twenty years.

Really? He has been playing great, sure few points to show for his time, but his impact has been much bigger than the score sheet. He is that pest that always seems to be close to that bouncing puck. He has a real knack for it.

It's way early, but he leads the entire roster in +/-. Like you said, he has not hurt us one bit, and his impact has been very noticeable. Lots of almost, and smart passes that always seem to lead to chances for those being setup. I expect the production to start trickling in.

Today for instance he got that assist by finding Riley who was able to put the puck on the net for a nice Tavarez deflection into the back of the weave. Text book hockey! He should have many more like this as he has been making the smart pass since the start of the season. Unfortunately, that is the way the puck bounces, but considering the investment, I expect points to start trickling in soon.

So don't be disappointed, he has been playing great. He just needs to keep doing what he has been doing. Those smart plays will be paying out. That pass out from the corner to Riley for instance seems mondain, but the defenders were caught going away from the puck, and Riley had plenty of time to put that puck on the net while the rest of the crew was collapsing on the net and BAM. No surprise, he has been making a lot of those sorts of passes, but guys are not always cashing in on them.

Also keep in mind that every player has their preference, strengths and weaknesses, and those take TIME to learn. So once his mental database is filled in, I expect the production to naturally go up. This Like any investment in your team chemistry starts paying off as the season matures. He is too skilled an opportunist not to utilize those finer points of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guided by Veseys

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Bertuzzi - Tavares - Nylander looked pretty good. If only we can see Knies up with Matthews and Marner now. Maybe Keefe will learn one day!
There was one shift towards the end when they played together, maybe Keefe wanted to reward Knies for a solid game or maybe it was just a result of an extended shift on a line change, but it stood out to me as Knies and Matthews look huge out there together

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He’s 11-3 with a .931, get in the car and let’s hit the gas.
I recall the same infatuation with Samsonov last year.

There is a difference being the guy and being the back up. That being said Woll looks calm and composed and I hope they run with now and he solidifies that position.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Really? He has been playing great, sure few points to show for his time, but his impact has been much bigger than the score sheet. He is that pest that always seems to be close to that bouncing puck. He has a real knack for it.

It's way early, but he leads the entire roster in +/-. Like you said, he has not hurt us one bit, and his impact has been very noticeable. Lots of almost, and smart passes that always seem to lead to chances for those being setup. I expect the production to start trickling in.

Today for instance he got that assist by finding Riley who was able to put the puck on the net for a nice Tavarez deflection into the back of the weave. Text book hockey! He should have many more like this as he has been making the smart pass since the start of the season. Unfortunately, that is the way the puck bounces, but considering the investment, I expect points to start trickling in soon.

So don't be disappointed, he has been playing great. He just needs to keep doing what he has been doing. Those smart plays will be paying out. That pass out from the corner to Riley for instance seems mondain, but the defenders were caught going away from the puck, and Riley had plenty of time to put that puck on the net while the rest of the crew was collapsing on the net and BAM. No surprise, he has been making a lot of those sorts of passes, but guys are not always cashing in on them.

Also keep in mind that every player has their preference, strengths and weaknesses, and those take TIME to learn. So once his mental database is filled in, I expect the production to naturally go up. This Like any investment in your team chemistry starts paying off as the season matures. He is too skilled an opportunist not to utilize those finer points of the game.

I probably set my expectations too high.

Bertuzzi was the first free agent I was somewhat excited for since Brodie. Seeing his linemates all put up big numbers it's a little surprising Bertuzzi hasn't been a beneficiary. I'm a little disappointed with his slow start points wise but, like you said, his overall play has been good.

I still like him a lot better than Bunting.

Reactions: no2ninja

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
On one hand if Sammy is your starter you have to start him vs Dallas, on the other you might not want him getting lit up again by the best team we've had to play so far.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I want Woll to start as he gives us the best chance to win but I think the smart move would be to give the Dallas game to Samsonov. Woll was pretty busy when he came in against Tampa and faced a lot of shots again last night. Might be the right move to give him some rest and have him play Saturday night.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I want Woll to start as he gives us the best chance to win but I think the smart move would be to give the Dallas game to Samsonov. Woll was pretty busy when he came in against Tampa and faced a lot of shots again last night. Might be the right move to give him some rest and have him play Saturday night.
Sammy's got to be feeling some heat with Woll playing so well. Start him and if he plays poorly again, give the ball to Woll Saturday and see if he can run with it.

Reactions: TMLAM34

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
At this point I'd take Nylander over Marner.

I really hope they can sign this Swedish beast

Nylander is playing like a top 15 player right now, but unless this continues the full year (Nylander playing like this, Marner sucking), I'll still give Marner the benefit of the doubt.

He is one of the best PKers in the league, Selke level defensively, a great PP player, and normally puts up close to 100 points a year.

That is extremely rare.

Also PPG over the last 3 players (so are Matthews/Nylander).

The track record for Marner is too long to think he will not play at his potential all year.

Reactions: rdogg and arso40

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
"Marner is so bad"

"Trade him for a really good player"

this never makes sense to me
Any mention of a Marner trade is just stupidity or ignorance. Look up NMC folks. Maybe the forum needs a FAQ thread to explain what these terms mean before we have to endure another bone headed comment.

As for his performance, it hasn't been really good and I blame marriage. Even Gilmour's game dived after the last wedding on the team. I'm against any hockey player doing it.
Hoping he picks it up.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Let Sammy play on Thursday I want to see Woll play on Saturday in Smashville

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Any mention of a Marner trade is just stupidity or ignorance. Look up NMC folks. Maybe the forum needs a FAQ thread to explain what these terms mean before we have to endure another bone headed comment.

As for his performance, it hasn't been really good and I blame marriage. Even Gilmour's game dived after the last wedding on the team. I'm against any hockey player doing it.
Hoping he picks it up.
Maybe a little extreme but Marner will pop off for 40+ points over 25 games soon.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nice game from Woll .. just great on 1 on 1s .. he will make da saves if we keep lanes open so he can see da puck .. but need to keep him on a 30-35 game pace this year in his 1st full year with team .. to me trade Jankrok if you can Tre .. free up some space and/or get a better defensive D man to upgrade .. then LTIR Klinberg and add another defensive D man .. timeline for these moves around January 2024 .. holmberg can do what Kapf does so that should be another source to free up CAP space for D improvement

Reactions: arso40

myleafs

May 25, 2021

I like Bert and am rooting for him but we are watching different games if you think he has been playing great. IMO Non factor so far along with Domi other than those 2 shifts where he set up knies. Those two guys are no upgrade at this point over Bunting and Kerfoot....at least Kerfoot skated fast and hustled (looking at you Domi)

On another note I thought the 4th line overall had their best game of the season. Seemed to get it into the o-zone and keep it there for a while. PH looked pretty good I thought and felt like he deserved a couple shifts on the 3rd line except that Kampf on the 4th line doesnt work.

Marner is wasted on the top line imo. He is more effective when playing with lesser players imo and makes them better so I would try him on the 3rd and see how it goes....but I know that will never happen. The way 88 is going this year is slowly making Marner the odd man out if there is any chance they try to spread out the wealth at some point. Tavares so far might be playing his best hockey as a leaf, and Ive been hard on him the last couple years.

Woll looking very good so far....fingers crossed.

I imagine the Goalie rotation was set pretty much out of camp. No need to vary from it yet.
Ive always been a fan of running with the hot hand so not a big fan of sticking to a plan... remember Babs when playing Marleau and Hyman with a min left down a goal and when asked why Marleau was on the ice he said....what do you mean, it was his turn.

Reactions: no2ninja

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2