Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1!

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Man, Boston sports fans are the biggest sore losers in all of sports. Reading their PGT is honestly hilarious
Guess my magic 8 ball was right tonight. Good win. Crowd was good tonight. After the game there were definitely more conversations going on with the fan bases than normal. Mostly good natured but man were there some a hole B fans. One crusty middle aged B fan was giving it to leaf fans so they started giving it back. Next thing you know he is flashing his cop badge and getting in their faces. i love cops but I couldnt believe what I was seeing. Great game.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I can’t believe we lost to 3 of these teams
View attachment 603955

One goalie lost to all 3 teams, and he's only started 3 games. We probably win all 3 with Samsonov or a legitimate NHL backup.

Petruzzelli needs to play well and be the starter if we have to ride with Kallgren + Petr for any length of time.

Kallgren can't put up a .900 save percentage against weak teams like Arizona, SJ, and Anaheim.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
The core guys were up to the challenge, the defense looked steady and calmer with Liljegren back, Goaltending was solid ...

But no secret that the bottom 6 will haunt us throughout this season.
I can't imagine going anywhere with the 3rd/4th line we currently have.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Really happy for the boys, they turned up, played hard and got the result they deserved

Nylander was really jumping and I liked that 4th line as well, those boys are gelling and helping give the team some identity
Matthews did Matthews things, 2 goals ho hum

The D looked great, Liljegren helps a ton and I thought he showed no signs of rust, Holl didn't do anything stupid either which was a bonus

I hope Samsonov gets better soon, the guy has been great so far

Reactions: Macallan18 and kb

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I really like the play Nylander drew up for the PP.

Rather than letting Rielly and marner screw around for 15 seconds skating up to center ice and then passing back to the goal line for another rush to center ice, and pass back to the red line and then try and enter the zone, he just took the puck and skated it through the zone for a dump in goal for Matthews.

You gotta bait them with the first play to create enough doubt that Willy would just rush it solo.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The HNIC broadcasters were all praising the inexplicable good quality of the hockey game in the 1st period and a half. The answer was simple: no cheap penalty calls to disrupt the flow of the game.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Not surprised. Even a 10 game win streak right now would be normal for that roster.

My fear is win streaks will make them forget what changes need to be made for the real desire: cup. I hope they are in on guys like Horvat. If not tell Matthews he can relax for another 2 weeks before he wins 10 in a row.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Let’s pick a random team…. Tampa

Top 4 goal scorers 23 (58%) -> Leafs (61%)
Next 10 goal scorers 17 (42%) -> Leafs (39%)

What a strange trend that a teams 4 best players will have the majority of their goals

And the best playing time like, PP time, offensive faceoffs, after tv time outs etc...

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
A couple of the minor players deserve some praise:

Kerfoot is better on the wing and stayed out of the penalty box.

Malgin had a few good chances and played better defensively.

Holl didn't fumble the puck too much. He's seemed slightly better paired with Brodie.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Tavares deserves a sticky appreciation thread for the slander he received in the off-season.

Too bad it wasn't Nylander flying beside him out of the box. JT doesn't look washed at all. Fitness freak is going to age like Gio. I fully expect him to take a Bergeron contract and cheat code the roster in a few years.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
ZAR-Kampf-Malgin looked great, more like a third line than a 4th. Seemed like they spent a lot of time hemming Boston in, and were creating not just eating the clock. Malgin's patience and vision kept is a nice match and they all hound pucks well.

Not sold on Engvall-Jarncrok-Simmonds. Jarncrok is a much better player than he has shown/ is given credit for on this board, but the line just seems disjointed and purposeless.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Solid effort by the boys. I thought the entire team was engaged and didn’t give the Bruins time and space. Nylander best player for us, but still waiting for Marner to play like he can.

The injury to Sami is concerning but most in here were afraid that something like this would happen when we traded for Murray. They Leafs tried to protect Sami on the west coast starting Kalllgren 2 of 3 but as you can see things like this willl happpen anyways. I hope we see Petruzzelli at some point, he’s been playing really welll with the first place Marlies.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
There seems to be a pattern arising with most losses coming against speedy, youthful teams. May have been Bieksa last night after the game praising the Leafs for back checking well against the Bruins. That is a recipe for success for sure and it's been shown against the "older" teams like Boston, Dallas, Winnipeg, Washington...and those are the better teams that the Leafs have beaten. Not exactly sure if it's the speed or the hunger of the younger players that's causing such problems with the lesser teams or if the team just doesn't get up for them?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Very fast game last night at Scotia .. and very very even steven game which could have gone either way .. thought that was best game I have seen from our D .. Lily made a huge impact in stabilizing our D .. Holl stayed in his lane which is all you can ask of him .. he can play if he plays a very safe no risk game .. team needs to win games like that .. Wayner made a difference .. he is da police and threw a lot of big banging hits .. but gents omg Wily Willy Willy Willy wow da best player on da ice every shift he played all night long .. Willy's back .. Willy's back .. he speed is such a difference maker and Bruins could not match it .. he was da ice tilter folks .. all hail Willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad