Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN! 2-1 in a Shootout... Thank You Reimer

GrabsOverHabs

Apr 7, 2013
Couple things I was curious about watching last night.

Why was Grabovski laying on the ice when he was kicked, did he just fall?

I noticed a guy sitting behind the Leaf net in a Hab shirt. Was he lost or just confused?

He was trying to trip Clarkson with his face.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
A lot of canadian goalies are playing well right now so I wouldn't at all be surprised if neither gets a look.

Luongo, Crawford, Price, Fleury, Holtby, Harding, Mason and more along with Reimer and Bernier are all playing fantastic. At this point it's hard to go wrong with any one of them.

Harding hurt himself - and I'm really wondering with his MS and the Wild in a good playoff situation right now, if the GM of the Wild puts the kibosh on Harding going (if he can?)

I think it depends on what Canada wants to do:

the past two Olympics it has been take two guys who has international experience, and take one along for the ride for learning purposes.

I think truly it's going to be
Luongo, Crawford as the guaranteed lock for 1-2.

Holtby, Price, Harding, Mason, Smith as the third

and Reimer/Bernier get a look, but probably won't be going.

(I personally think Fleury isn't going ANYWHERE).

Couple things I was curious about watching last night.

Why was Grabovski laying on the ice when he was kicked, did he just fall?

I noticed a guy sitting behind the Leaf net in a Hab shirt. Was he lost or just confused?

I think that's why most people were confused. He was falling, and got kicked, and then just never got up. maybe he was stunned though, but usually when I hurt myself, I usually just jump right back up...

(to be fair - i've never been kicked in the head by a skate before either).

Yeah, all those guys :laugh: Goaltending seemed to be Canada's weak link coming into the Olympics, it's starting to look like a strength.

LOL such a turn around eh?
(and this was Russia's strength but it's kinda petered out so far).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I was surprised that the fans gave him a hard time after he got back into the game.

because i don't think it was noticed (that he was actually cut in the face). most of us didn't see it until we saw the replay.

GrabsOverHabs

Apr 7, 2013
because i don't think it was noticed (that he was actually cut in the face). most of us didn't see it until we saw the replay.

They didn't show a replay at the game. He left the ice and nobody in my section knew why (including me). A friend of mine had to text me a picture from the television broadcast.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The Leafs were LUCKY to win that game, I watched it closely from start to finish. We started off sloppy in the first 5 minutes but then turned on the jets for the rest of the 1st going tit for tat with the Caps. The 2nd and 3rd period were god awful, we resorted to passive mode again and allowed Washington to take it to us, I think we were so focused on shutting down Ovie that the Leafs forgot there was 3 other lines to contend with and I thought there 2nd line was easily the best line out there last night. I was impressed with the Raymond/Mcclement/Kulemin line (backed up by Phaneuf and Gunnar) they did a tremendous job shutting down the top line, although Phaneuf goofed badly by not covering Ovie on the tying goal. Man what can you say about Reimer easily one of his best games as a Leaf and I'm convinced he should be the #1 going forward with Bernier backing him up.

Leafs need to get there act together fast because if they keep playing like this they will miss the playoffs.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
So how about that Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson line? Pretty awesome and a match made in heaven of skill and grit. Loved seeing them hem Washington in their own zone. Too bad it took over 20 games to finally get this line together but I think they'll be sticking for a while.

I liked it as well, lots of cycling and puck pressure espically in the 1st.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Rielly had very similar games on Thursday and Saturday. In both first periods, he carried the puck a lot, but then the rest of the game he played a much more conservative (but still decent) game.

Is Randy telling him to take it easy in the intermission, or is it just a coincidence that both his first periods were so strong?

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
So how about that Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson line? Pretty awesome and a match made in heaven of skill and grit. Loved seeing them hem Washington in their own zone. Too bad it took over 20 games to finally get this line together but I think they'll be sticking for a while.

We knew Clarkson and Lupul can play the cycle game, and they were doing it with Trevor Smith as well. But Kadri was also cycling the puck surprisingly well.

As long as Naz and Lups are spending their shifts in the offensive zone, goals are going to go in, and Clarkson will be there for the odd garbage one.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
our offense has been struggling the last few games. our d has been meh, and it's getting better, but our goaltending has been lights out hence us winning games.

carlyle should really do something about the sputtering offense. its really hard to watch especially when we're getting outshot at the same time as well.

having said this, i believe holtby played well yesterday and made some great saves by going across the crease, so i'd let last night's game slide but they need to pick up their slack soon.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
our offense has been struggling the last few games. our d has been meh, and it's getting better, but our goaltending has been lights out hence us winning games.

carlyle should really do something about the sputtering offense. its really hard to watch especially when we're getting outshot at the same time as well.

having said this, i believe holtby played well yesterday and made some great saves by going across the crease, so i'd let last night's game slide but they need to pick up their slack soon.

The Leafs' offense is really missing Bolland, and it becomes really apparent in any game where JVR and Kessel aren't able to get it done (and expecting that line to score every night would be unrealistic). Bolland gave us more than a shutdown line, he was giving us a line that could counterattack and score timely goals while eating up shifts at the other end of the rink.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs' offense is really missing Bolland, and it becomes really apparent in any game where JVR and Kessel aren't able to get it done (and expecting that line to score every night would be unrealistic). Bolland gave us more than a shutdown line, he was giving us a line that could counterattack and score timely goals while eating up shifts at the other end of the rink.

I think Bolland is by far our most important center. He scored clutch goals, shutdown top lines, was part of our PK and was consistent in each game.

We don't have great centers to begin with and losing him + Bozak has hurt the offense.

Top line needs to get going and hopefully the rest will fall into place sooner or later.

Mr Scarface*

I think Bolland is by far our most important center. He scored clutch goals, shutdown top lines, was part of our PK and was consistent in each game.

We don't have great centers to begin with and losing him + Bozak has hurt the offense.

Top line needs to get going and hopefully the rest will fall into place sooner or later.
We do have great center. David Bolland IS a great center. You made all the right accusations there and I shall underline those. Great points there and all the right ones. Important they are indeed.

Bolland makes any team better and decides Stanley Cups. I'm in aww and so is Randy Carlyle of having him.

Really glad to a part of this leaf team now and getting the chance to testify these really pure hard games. Our team just gets points in almost all of these games and is really throwing every other team around so hard.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Jealous much?

Kadri was awesome

Ur not watchin the game

I know I've called Kadri out on his BS recently (and I still stand by it) but yea the guy was bringing it last night. I was impressed with how well he used his brain out there, instead of rushing it like a bull in a china shop he pulls back and LOOKS at what was around him and he made some amazing passes out there, IMO he easily has the best vision of all our forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad