Confirmed with Link: Leafs will draft #4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
You could make a case that Kessel is a superior player to Backstrom and J. Staal, and Backstrom is benefitting a lot from playing with Ovechkin. In hindsight, I would pick Toews and Giroux above Kessel, but that would still leave Kessel at 3.

If you had your pick within the top 5 from 2006, the only player that was picked above Kessel, that would potentially be picked before Kessel would be Toews.

No sane person would pick Kessel ahead of Backstrom. And do Backstrom benefit from playing with Ovi, sure, who wouldnt. But he is not a product of him.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I wouldn't consider Larsson a prospect. But I'm pretty sure Severson is untouchable and I have no clue about the rest

Yeah I guess I said 'prospect' in my first post, but I'm not talking just 'prospects' so much as just young D men. Severson would certainly be untouchable, Larsson may be too since he really picked it up in the second half of this season. The others would be good additions to our blueline though, all solid young players from what I've heard.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Would probably have to take Clowe's contract as well and maybe add something on our end

From a Leafs standpoint, I would be willing to take on Clowe's contract, but that's about it. NJ would be getting hell of a player in Kessel, and don't think we would need to be taking back too much baggage for a player of Kessel's ilk.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
From a Leafs standpoint, I would be willing to take on Clowe's contract, but that's about it. NJ would be getting hell of a player in Kessel, and don't think we would need to be taking back too much baggage for a player of Kessel's ilk.

I'd have no problem taking on Clowe since it's just money and a roster spot if it means we get a much better deal than we would.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
No sane person would pick Kessel ahead of Backstrom. And do Backstrom benefit from playing with Ovi, sure, who wouldnt. But he is not a product of him.

I've honestly never watched Backstrom play, so it's difficult for me to gauge how good Backstrom is as a player. Perhaps Backstrom is a better player than Kessel when all things are considered, but from what I have heard it seems that Kessel is the better player.

Especially, when you consider that Kessel plays with Bozak, while Backstrom plays with Ovechkin.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Oilers owner wants to re-live the 80's team and he has the closest thing he is going to get to Gretzky fall into his lap, do you really think he is going to trade him for anything?

yea i guess not.

I dont think Oilers would do that trade. You just dont trade a player like McDavid.

And if we managed to get that many picks in this years 1st round, I might just hold on to them. That is a lot of talent that we desperately need. Perhaps more so then THE talent. Oilers are in a different situation.

The goal is to win the cup and McDavid can not do that alone but 4 elite talented guys with another solid one (24th) might do the trick down the line.

yea i agree. would prefer to keep the picks and nylander.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I've honestly never watched Backstrom play, so it's difficult for me to gauge how good Backstrom is as a player. Perhaps Backstrom is a better player than Kessel when all things are considered, but from what I have heard it seems that Kessel is the better player.

Especially, when you consider that Kessel plays with Bozak, while Backstrom plays with Ovechkin.

From what you have heard? And how can you have missed catching a Caps game?

Backstrom is regarded as one of the best passers in the game today.

And he is above average defensively.

He is a 2-way center who actually is more productive then Kessel who does not play defense.

Backstrom have produced 572 poins in 577 games that is a .099 PPG average.

Kessel has produced 520 points in 668 games, that is a 0.78 PPG average.

So even by just looking at the numbers Backstrom wins over Kessel. And if take some time to watch him play you will realise it is not even close who is the better of them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One thing about Strome is he looked like a lanky Jason Spezza sometimes. Kind of don't like that lack of coordination/explosiveness.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'm not sure what we should get for Kessel, but another top 10 pick would be nice to have as part of it. There are a lot of good guys in there and it's not a bad way to get the rebuild going having a couple top 10 picks.

Of course NJ still has to actually want to make that trade. But they already have the goaltending so some more firepower like Kessel has should be appealing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Not sure if this has been reported or not but going into the last round the Leafs actually had the statistical advantage to win the lottery. the Leafs had 4 balls, Buffalo 3 and Edmonton 2..... so close ... as long as we get the other center from Erie I'll be happy.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
One thing about Strome is he looked like a lanky Jason Spezza sometimes. Kind of don't like that lack of coordination/explosiveness.

Jason Spezza might be a good comparison. Still a 70 point center.
Ryan Johanson is also a good comparable. During the tank, I watched a lot of Columbus games this year and Johanson plays that kind of style.
The good and bad of Strome:

Good: size, elite level vision,passing,shooting. Can set you up perfectly or finish it off himself. Can control the play,slow it down and protect the puck with his size. Very dangerous setting up behind the opposition net as well. Knows how to maintain his position on the D side.

Bad: lacks breakaway speed. Big man choppy stride. Sometimes seems to play without intensity. Doesn't like to be involved in the physical side of things. Average D (although I said he does maintain his position to force turnovers).

At the end of the day, Strome is a no. 1 C. He has the tools.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
let me throw a hypothetical situation at you guys.

if we acquire the 6th OVA (JVR to NJ) and 8th OVA (Kessel to CBJ), do we make the following trade?

4th OVA, 6th OVA, 8th OVA, ~24th OVA, and Nylander for 1st OVA.

is mcdavid worth this package or are we better off keeping all 4 1sts and nylander?

i'm leaning towards the latter tbh. what do you guys think?

I think you'd be nuts to trade that for McDavid. Think about the depth you could have.

Strome, Provorov, Barzal, Juulsen/Roy, Nylander

or

McDavid.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
Jason Spezza might be a good comparison. Still a 70 point center.
Ryan Johanson is also a good comparable. During the tank, I watched a lot of Columbus games this year and Johanson plays that kind of style.
The good and bad of Strome:

Good: size, elite level vision,passing,shooting. Can set you up perfectly or finish it off himself. Can control the play,slow it down and protect the puck with his size. Very dangerous setting up behind the opposition net as well. Knows how to maintain his position on the D side.

Bad: lacks breakaway speed. Big man choppy stride. Sometimes seems to play without intensity. Doesn't like to be involved in the physical side of things. Average D (although I said he does maintain his position to force turnovers).

At the end of the day, Strome is a no. 1 C. He has the tools.

How bad is Strome's speed? Is it something that he can improve, or will his speed be something that will continue to hold him back? Speed and defensive play/2-way play sort of go together.

If he isn't fast, it's difficult for him to be a difference maker, and be a 2-way player who can play both ends. He won't have the speed to get back to his own zone after being in the offensive zone, however, he seems to be a big guy who can help with the team's possession and generate more offense in the opposition zone.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

If the 2006 draft was redone, IMO:

1: Toews
2: Backstrom
3: Kessel
4: Staal
5: Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad