Speculation: Leafs want to bring back Ron Hainsey but feel they will be outbid

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Has he not developed well? I wanted him so bad at the draft. Thought he was an absolute steal where the leafs drafted him.

Has developed great. Taking the Morgan Rielly development path in that he's been tasked with working on his defensive game which has improved greatly.

Was overshadowed by Rosen and somewhat Sandin during the regular season, but as the playoffs wore on, really emerged as the Marlies #1 Dman.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That's exactly what your #4th, 5th, and 6th defensemen won't be able to do if you don't make some moves to get some players that fit under the cap. You realize your depth chart has 3 defensemen with a combined 21 games of NHL experience as your bottom 3?
Yes. I also realize i want nothing to do with Shattenkirk, and that's before you tell me it would cost Kadri.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
37-38 year olds are all the rage these days.

That doesn't sound good for Vegas getting Engelland back at less than 1m.
I can't imagine getting Engelland much more than that. If Vegas are anywhere in the ballpark of his highest offer, he'll probably re-sign there considering that's where he has lived for a long time now.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
This is the problem with the Leafs right now. They bring in Muzzin for a quick fix, but then they lose Gardiner and Hainsey because they spent all their money on forwards.

Are Gardiner and Hainsey great, no, but they're not dog meat either. And now you have Zaitsev as your #3 d-man. Woof

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hainsey is the type of player HF is completely out to lunch on when it comes to value in NHL circles. He's not a reliable top four option at this stage of his career but is a reliable veteran who can steady the ship when needed. NHL head coaches love guys like this.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I would like him back for the bottom pair but I don't trust that Babcock wouldn't just put him back with Rielly. Probably for the best.....

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
One year $3m total:
- $1m salary,
- $2m performance bonus ($1m at 10 games played, another $1m at 20 games played).

Kick the can down the road and take the performance bonus overage into next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad