Speculation: Leafs want to bring back Ron Hainsey but feel they will be outbid

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Hainsey is the type of player HF is completely out to lunch on when it comes to value in NHL circles. He's not a reliable top four option at this stage of his career but is a reliable veteran who can steady the ship when needed. NHL head coaches love guys like this.

- The concern from the Leafs perspective is that Babcock loves guys like this too much, and that Hainsey will not be deployed appropriately as a consequence.

member 300185

When you can only offer a couple nickles and pocket lint it's hard not to be outbid.

Let him go. Give sandin and liljegren a shot.
I wouldn't even offer that. I might offer a months worth of bellybutton lint...and thats it.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Hainsey is a big part of the players association in CBA talks, maybe Dubas is looking to keep him on to negotiate some contracts for him? So in Dubas world to more he pays for Hainsey the better negotiator Hainsey is, meaning the bigger the contract the better the value.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
This is good for the Leafs. I like Hainsey as a 3rd pairing dman, but Babcock will use him as our #1 dman. Need to take away Babcock's toys.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You know things are bad when Ron ****ing Hainsey is to expensive to fit under your cap....

He’s too expensive for the role they want him for. Not that they can’t afford him under the cap.

They’re saying they think some team will offer him a spot as 2nd pairing RD or LD and then pay him in the $3-4M range on a one or two year deal.

Whereas the Leafs want him as a 3rd pairing RD at <$2M.

That’s what the message here is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad