News Article: Leafs waive Connolly

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Guess that means the Leafs are making the playoffs for sure this season. :sarcasm:

Plan the parade

mapleleaf.JPG

McBrom7

FIRE IT UP!!
Jun 26, 2012
I wonder if anyone picks him up. Calgary is looking for some center depth so that might be a possibility.

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
I recall Mike Milbury saying this kid has a ton of talent, great hands, good hockey sense, but lacked any motivation, or effort, just loved to float and rely in his talent. He could of been a real star.

Watched him for two years with the Islanders and, although young and armed with ridiculous skills, he didn't look like he gave a flying toss about being on the ice. Very frustrating to watch. His skillset and size reminds me of Craig Janney. Could have been much better than this.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Watched him for two years with the Islanders and, although young and armed with ridiculous skills, he didn't look like he gave a flying toss about being on the ice. Very frustrating to watch. His skillset and size reminds me of Craig Janney. Could have been much better than this.

It is really frustrating to see atheletes waste their god given talent because they could not motivate themselves to work hard.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As an 18/19 year old with the Isles he was great. Had a couple bad concussions. I think with what we know now about concussions perhaps we just not jump to conclusions about heart and effort. Those injuries end or completely diminish careers.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
It is really frustrating to see atheletes waste their god given talent because they could not motivate themselves to work hard.

I don't know Connolly's particular story, but sometimes God passes out great talent and doesn't include drive and determination. And sometimes the opposite happens. When you get both, that's what makes Hall-of-Famers.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I don't know Connolly's particular story, but sometimes God passes out great talent and doesn't include drive and determination. And sometimes the opposite happens. When you get both, that's what makes Hall-of-Famers.

Yeah a guy like Larry Bird is the epitome of talent and hard work making you a Hall of Famer. He was so motivated that the day after they Celtics beat the Lakers to win the NBA title, Quinn Buckner went over to Birds house the next day, Larry was dressed in workout clothes and Quinn asked him what he was doing. Bird says" I am going for a run, gotta get ready for next season" Thats hard work and dedication

HooperDrivesTheBoat

2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!
May 29, 2007
LINY
As an 18/19 year old with the Isles he was great. Had a couple bad concussions. I think with what we know now about concussions perhaps we just not jump to conclusions about heart and effort. Those injuries end or completely diminish careers.

He wasn't great, at all, but I won't split hairs over your choice of words...

I would never refer to someone who has suffered multiple concussions as being injury prone. I was refering to his propensity for getting injured otherwise. His injury history, not including the concussions (from The Hockey News):

2/04/2011
Missed 2 games (hip injury).
1/23/2011
Hip injury, injured reserve.
1/01/2011
Missed 4 games (nasal surgery).
12/27/2010
Nasal surgery, injured reserve.
12/21/2010
Nasal surgery, day-to-day.
12/15/2010
Missed 8 games (groin).
12/09/2010
Groin, injured reserve.
11/23/2010
Groin, day-to-day.
4/15/2010
Missed 10 games (foot injury).
3/27/2010
Foot injury, day-to-day.
1/09/2009
Missed 24 games (broken rib).
11/15/2008
Broken rib, sidelined indefinitely.
11/01/2008
Missed 10 games (back injury).
10/10/2008
Back injury, sidelined indefinitely.
4/05/2008
Missed the last 12 games of the regular season (hip injury).
3/12/2008
Hip injury, day-to-day.
3/08/2008
Missed 1 game (hip injury).
3/05/2008
Hip injury, day-to-day.
2/23/2008
Missed 1 game (groin).
2/21/2008
Groin, day-to-day.
2/10/2008
Missed 13 games (groin).
1/10/2008
Groin, day-to-day.
12/26/2007
Missed 2 games (illness).
12/21/2007
Illness, day-to-day.
11/21/2007
Missed 5 games (strained oblique muscle).
11/06/2007
Strained oblique muscle, sidelined indefinitely.
3/29/2006
Missed 7 games (knee injury).
3/16/2006
Knee injury, day-to-day.
3/09/2006
Missed 12 games (knee injury).
1/25/2006
Knee injury, mid-March.

I don't know Tim Connolly personally and perhaps an attack on his lack of heart seemed unduly harsh, but I've never been impressed with his style of play as he seemed more interested in making the Denis Savard spinoramas than playing a sound hockey game. Mike Milbury stated something to this effect prior to trading Connolly to Buffalo. This was before he suffered any injuries, concussion or otherwise.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't know Tim Connolly personally and perhaps an attack on his lack of heart seemed unduly harsh, but I've never been impressed with his style of play as he seemed more interested in making the Denis Savard spinoramas than playing a sound hockey game. Mike Milbury stated something to this effect prior to trading Connolly to Buffalo. This was before he suffered any injuries, concussion or otherwise.

Oh, I'm not denying he was injury prone, but let's not take Mike Milbury's player evaluation lines as dogma. The guy trad Jason Spezza and Zdeno Chara for Alexi Yashin and traded Luongo and Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish. He could have had Heatley/Gaborik, Luongo and Jokinen and ended up with Dipietro, Kvasha, Parrish.

You are correct that I overstated that he was "great" in NY. I should have said he showed great promise. I don't know the guy either and maybe he was a dog, but I think anyone who has the injury history you posted, and yet keeps coming back to play must have drive and determination.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
Oh, I'm not denying he was injury prone, but let's not take Mike Milbury's player evaluation lines as dogma. The guy trad Jason Spezza and Zdeno Chara for Alexi Yashin and traded Luongo and Jokinen for Oleg Kvasha and Mark Parrish. He could have had Heatley/Gaborik, Luongo and Jokinen and ended up with Dipietro, Kvasha, Parrish.

You are correct that I overstated that he was "great" in NY. I should have said he showed great promise. I don't know the guy either and maybe he was a dog, but I think anyone who has the injury history you posted, and yet keeps coming back to play must have drive and determination.

Connolly had a ton of skill. His lack of achieving his peak skill level also hurt USA Hockey. He had the potential to be a Spezza caliber offensive player minus two or so inches. If he had peaked in the NHL
he would have given his NHL team and USA Hockey an elite offensive center.

He at least had an NHL career unlike another New York phenom named Jason Bonsignore, anyone remember him?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Funny thing about Connolly was I think him being hurt constantly in Buffalo actually RAISED his stock because their fans were always talking about getting him back (and they badly needed center help obviously.) If he actually played regularly back then everyone would know how average he was.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Connolly had a ton of skill. His lack of achieving his peak skill level also hurt USA Hockey. He had the potential to be a Spezza caliber offensive player minus two or so inches. If he had peaked in the NHL
he would have given his NHL team and USA Hockey an elite offensive center.

He at least had an NHL career unlike another New York phenom named Jason Bonsignore, anyone remember him?

Yup, Oilers 1st rounder back in the 90s.

Pretty good read on Connolly. You never want to buy into hearsay but the off ice rumors have been rampant for years too. Interestingly enough, this article states he was almost a Bruin in a deal for Allison. Hadn't heard that before.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/12/with-tim-connolly-theres-always-a-but

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Yup, Oilers 1st rounder back in the 90s.

Pretty good read on Connolly. You never want to buy into hearsay but the off ice rumors have been rampant for years too. Interestingly enough, this article states he was almost a Bruin in a deal for Allison. Hadn't heard that before.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/12/with-tim-connolly-theres-always-a-but

Interesting article, thanks. Guess going to Toronto was't the "best thing" for Connolly after all.

Interesting that his early call-up got a lot of blame for hurting his development. Reminded me of Seguin, not that playing in the NHL hurt him (and he did have that dominant junior year, unlike Connolly); just the opposite in fact. But that Julien received so much crap for limiting his ice time and taking it very slow with him. Looks to me that Julien did a pitch-perfect job in developing a talented but very young kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad