Leafs vs The West

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
I was speaking to friends yesterday about how the Leafs seem to be dominating the west this season. They didn't believe me so I looked up the stats.

In 13 games played vs the west this season the Leafs are 9-3-1, scoring 47 (3.6gpg) goals and allowing 32 (2.46gpg)against.

To put this in perspective, so far this year, the Leafs in 18 games are 3-9-6 vs the east, scoring 37(2.05gpg) goals and allowing 58 (3.22)against.

The most shocking stat might be the goose egg in the wins column vs the Atlantic division.

Last year vs the west the Leafs were 10-17-1. One more victory and the Leafs match last year's points in games vs west teams.

Just for fun I looked up the capitals vs the west and they are 7-2-2 generating 72.7% of possible points. The Leafs? They're generating 73% of possible points vs the west.

I thought this was interesting. Why are the Leafs outperforming the west this season?

I guess we just have to make the cup finals?? :/

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
The pendulum is swinging back East. Micah Blake McCurdy now projects that the Pacific playoff cutoff is now below 86 points.

What's impressive is that the Leafs have beaten the Blues, Stars 2x, and Kings. Teams that the team with the least Regulation & OT Wins in the league have no business beating.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Babcock coahced in the West for years. He knows how to beat them :sarcasm:

I have noticed this too. And it's not even the ungodly bad Pacific division. We're 6-3 against the Central as well. 7th in the league point % wise against the central.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Western teams are just taking our Leafs too lightly. When they realize the Leafs are a hard working team, they'll start to work harder too. JMHO.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I think it's just chance. This team competes every single night, sometimes they get the bounces their way sometimes they dont. Think it's just coincidence tbh.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Leafs should move out West after expansion and realignment. Instant cup contenders. :sarcasm:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I think it's just chance. This team competes every single night, sometimes they get the bounces their way sometimes they dont. Think it's just coincidence tbh.

Pretty much this. East/West is an arbitrary division and there's no reason any team should be better against one group than the other.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe Babcock's program as is is better suited against Western Conference teams.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Maybe Babcock's program as is is better suited against Western Conference teams.

Or we had a heavy schedule against Eastern Conference teams in October when the team was still getting accustomed to scoring in Babs' system.

And Bernier was the uncontested starter...

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Or we had a heavy schedule against Eastern Conference teams in October when the team was still getting accustomed to scoring in Babs' system.

And Bernier was the uncontested starter...

This. And, chance.

People read into things too deeply sometimes . . . this is one of them. That, and, for whatever reason, the Dallas Stars play like absolute garbage against us, lol.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This. And, chance.

People read into things too deeply sometimes . . . this is one of them. That, and, for whatever reason, the Dallas Stars play like absolute garbage against us, lol.

Actually, they did play pretty good when you check possession stats.

Someone in the Leafs crease played 'lights out'...;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad