GDT: Leafs vs Sabres 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
hnic-buf-tor.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/903048771620

Saturday game preview: Toronto Maple Leafs at Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo’s Jack Eichel has been among the league’s leading scorers since returning from injury.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...ew-toronto-maple-leafs-at-buffalo-sabres.html

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Fri., March 24, 201

KEYBANK CENTRE

PUCK DROP: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The Fan

KEY PLAYERS

Eichel vs. Nylander

Sabres centre Jack Eichel is 10th in league scoring (21 goals, 29 assists) since Nov. 29, the date he returned from a high ankle sprain injury suffered in training camp. William Nylander’s 10-game point streak (four goals, eight assists) has him tied for 12th in league scoring since his streak began.

NEED TO KNOW

The Sabres’ power play is the third best in the NHL (26.9 per cent) and their penalty kill is eighth (82.2 per cent) . . . Buffalo will be without defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen, suspended for three games for a hit Tuesday on Pittsburgh forward Jake Guentzel . . . The Sabres could get three players off the injured list: forwards William Carrier (knee) and Kyle Okposo (rib) and defecneman Dmitry Kulikov (back).

UP NEXT

Tuesday, vs. Florida, 7:30 p.m., TSN4

Babcock's eyes on the playoffs

By Terry Koshan, Toronto Sun

First posted: Friday, March 24, 2017 11:57 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, March 25, 2017 12:02 AM EDT

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/25/babcocks-eyes-on--the-playoffs

TORONTO - Mike Babcock’s focus is centred on one thought, and one only: Get to the playoffs, and then take a quick opportunity to breathe.

“I don’t care when you peak or any of that stuff, I just want to get in the playoffs to give ourselves a chance,†the Maple Leafs coach said.

“We’re playing better right now and finding a way to win games and that’s what we have to continue to do. Last year, I didn’t look at the standings one time (when the Leafs finished 30th overall in the National Hockey League) and now I look at it every single day. Obviously, there must be a reason to look at them.â€

Well, of course.

With 85 points, the Leafs have their most in one season since 2010-11, when they had 85 at the end. They remained in third place in the Eastern Conference after games on Friday. The Boston Bruins, who were idle, trail the Leafs by three points.

BOYLE SEEING IT

Brian Boyle was impressed with what he saw in the Leafs’ youngsters from afar when he was with the Tampa Bay Lightning, and now that he has been a teammate for nearly a month, that only has grown.

“The way they approach the game as first-year guys and the age they are at, it is impressive for me to watch that maturity,†Boyle said. “They’re miles ahead of what I was at that age.â€

LOOSE LEAFS

Josh Leivo has 10 points in 13 games but can’t hold down a consistent spot in the lineup. It’s not that Leivo is doing anything wrong. “We don’t have enough penalty killers, so he gets hosed,†Babcock said. “I talk to him a lot about that. What I like about him is he brings it every day, he has a positive attitude and he has not let the adversity wear him down and feel sorry for himself.€

C7vPWU4VYAEr3fq.jpg:large

Last edited:

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Gonna miss this one unfortunately, gonna be at the Attack game drinking, but **** teh sabres, lets win GLG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Maple Leafs look to extend win streak in Buffalo

The Associated PressMar 25, 2017, 3:10 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/maple-leafs-look-extend-win-streak-buffalo-071041868--nhl.html

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Toronto Maple Leafs aren't taking any chances when it comes to their postseason hopes.

With points at a premium in the race for playoff positioning in the Eastern Conference, the Maple Leafs -- currently third in the Atlantic Division -- are on a roll. Toronto has won three games in a row and seven of its last nine games in an effort to hold onto their current position.

Toronto (35-23-15) will look to extend its winning streak to four games when they travel over the border to take on the Buffalo Sabres at 7 p.m. on Saturday.

With 85 points, the Maple Leafs are three points ahead of the Boston Bruins and four points ahead of the Tampa Bay Lightning for the third spot in the Atlantic heading into Saturday's game.

The Sabres (30-32-12), meanwhile, are out of playoff contention and will be without one of their best players against the Maple Leafs. Defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen was recently given a three-game suspension for his hit to the head on Pittsburgh's Jake Guentzel in the first period of Tuesday's loss to the Penguins. Guentzel suffered a concussion as a result of the hit.

"You're missing a 27-minute a night guy who's in every situation for you," Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said, according to the team's website. "That's one you can't replace. So that's what we're going to have to deal with in the next three games and our guys will go forward doing that."

The Sabres are hoping to get some bodies back from the injured list. Kyle Okposo, William Carrier and Dmitry Kulikov all returned to practice on Thursday.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
If Alex Nylander ever makes the Sabres, can we start "William's better" chants?

(I'm just kidding I hate those chants)

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Excited but worried about this one. Buffalo is very well rested. Leafs 5th game in 8 nights. I have been paying a lot of attention lately to those teams playing 5 in 8. If you want to make some money in Vegas, take the other team. Not only has that team been losing, but often it is a blow out. Case in point ... When Leafs hammered the Isles, blown out by Fla, hammered TB. Etc.

I would be curious to see if there are stats on the losing percentage teams have playing 5 in 8. I bet it's a crazy number. Bit worried because we all know the Leafs schedule coming down the stretch. Hope I am wrong, but keep it in mind if the leafs don't have their legs tonight.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Excited but worried about this one. Buffalo is very well rested. Leafs 5th game in 8 nights. I have been paying a lot of attention lately to those teams playing 5 in 8. If you want to make some money in Vegas, take the other team. Not only has that team been losing, but often it is a blow out. Case in point ... When Leafs hammered the Isles, blown out by Fla, hammered TB. Etc.

I would be curious to see if there are stats on the losing percentage teams have playing 5 in 8. Bit worried because we all know the Leafs schedule coming down the stretch. Hope I am wrong, but keep it in mind if the leafs don't have their legs tonight.

Yeah, it's going to be a tough game. Tired legs but on the bright side they don't play till the 28th after this one. Just hope they can find a way to dig down and get 2 points but I am not expecting a masterpiece tonight, win or lose.

Hope Andersen can keep them in it. We have an even worse 6 in 9 stretch coming so any points we can grab against the weaker teams is going to help us out immensely.

One thing Babcock has done which slightly negates playing too many games in such a short time is that he's kept the minutes equal amongst his defense and his top 9 forwards...we aren't overplaying, double shifting or relying too heavily on anyone on the roster.

It helped us dominate NJ completely despite it being a back to back, hope it helps us against Buffalo.

People here will not understand if they lose, they are already nervous because a couple of out of town results didn't go their way. If the Leafs lose tonight, just stay away from the Leafs board tonight. No one will make sense. Feel bad for the mods if we lose.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This is a big game for them. In the midst of another year with their rebuild stuttering, the only thing they have to play for this year is momentarily tripping us up on the way to the playoffs. I expect a good effort out of them, we'll have to be sharp.

Last edited:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah, it's going to be a tough game. Tired legs but on the bright side they don't play till the 28th after this one. Just hope they can find a way to dig down and get 2 points but I am not expecting a masterpiece tonight, win or lose.

Hope Andersen can keep them in it. We have an even worse 6 in 9 stretch coming so any points we can grab against the weaker teams is going to help us out immensely.

One thing Babcock has done which slightly negates playing too many games in such a short time is that he's kept the minutes equal amongst his defense and his top 9 forwards...we aren't overplaying, double shifting or relying too heavily on anyone on the roster.

It helped us dominate NJ completely despite it being a back to back, hope it helps us against Buffalo.

People here will not understand if they lose, they are already nervous because a couple of out of town results didn't go their way. If the Leafs lose tonight, just stay away from the Leafs board tonight. No one will make sense. Feel bad for the mods if we lose.

Fortunately, Boston has 7 games in 11 nights and Tampa has 7 in 10, so their schedules are also packed. It's pretty much an even playing field in that sense.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I would be curious to see if there are stats on the losing percentage teams have playing 5 in 8. I bet it's a crazy number. Bit worried because we all know the Leafs schedule coming down the stretch. Hope I am wrong, but keep it in mind if the leafs don't have their legs tonight.

I am not going to use at as an excuse. They have to find a way. It's tough for everybody. If they end up missing the playoffs it's because they were not good enough, not because of the schedule. The team has not been overusing anybody (other than Andersen possibly, and he is one of the most rested guys tonight because he has not played since Wed.) so tired legs shouldn't be an excuse and it can't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad