Leafs vs. Raptors vs. Blue Jays 2.0

JMcLeaf

I made this poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1257185 back in August of 2012 asking who posters thought, out of the Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays would get back in the playoffs first. I also asked posters to vote who they thought would be the next team to win a championship.

The Leafs were voted first to get back in the playoffs, followed by the Raptors and that’s exactly what happened. Still waiting for the Jays to make it.

The Jays were voted the next major sports team from Toronto to win a championship followed by the Leafs and lastly by the Raptors who only received 1 vote. I am curious to see what people think now with all the changes that have occurred in the last couple of years for these teams.

So cast your votes on who you think will be the next Toronto team to win a championship out of the Leafs, Raptors and Blue Jays.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
where's the none option? don't think either will win in the next 5 years unless something significant change happens for one of the teams. but the leafs are definitely third on this race as both Jays and Raptors could be playoff teams, tho the jays are dropping fast.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
I chose the Raptors because I think they had a plan in place first. I honestly don't believe the Leafs or Jays had much of a plan aside from throwing things at a wall and seeing what stuck. Toronto FC might be first or second though as well

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I would've chosen TFC, the Raptors are getting there but with how good the West is there is no way they could get past San Antonio, OKC etc. They do have a plan though, more than you can say with the Jays or Leafs.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Raptors AINEC

Actually TFC makes it close, but I have no idea why they're not on the list. Of course comparing the situations to the Jays and Leafs yeah yeah it's not close. Jays have a ton of issues #1 being consistency issues, depth issues and health issues.

hockeyfanz*

None will win in the near future unfortunately, but if I had to choose it would be raptors.

I agree that none will win in the near future but disagree with the Raps. I don't see them beating Lebron James and the Cavs. The Jays for me have a slight chance. Not this year I don't think but perhaps in the next 5.

I wouldn't put a nickel on any of them though if I were a betting man.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Leafs.

Raps will never win with usa wanting only american teams.... Don't believe me go look at raps playoff vid

Jays won't ever cause rogers is to cheap

Leafs have a chance just don't have players who can handle pressure situations

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Leafs.

Raps will never win with usa wanting only american teams.... Don't believe me go look at raps playoff vid

Jays won't ever cause rogers is to cheap

Leafs have a chance just don't have players who can handle pressure situations

Too cheap? How much have they sunk into that team this year? That money sure as hell isn't made by the Jays

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Out of those three, probably the Raptors. They at least seem to have a plan and are going in a positive direction.

The Leafs....well miracles can happen, but I wouldn't predict one.

The Jays could get it done. But a lot of questions and hard to say how wide the wallet is going to be opened for them. More than it has been, but not sure it's still enough.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Too cheap? How much have they sunk into that team this year? That money sure as hell isn't made by the Jays

Rogers sets a budget that isn't competitive with high payroll teams like the Yankees as Red Sox. Telling AA he can't take on salary is cheap IMO

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The Yankees and the Red Sox are both below the Blue Jays in the standings, so let's look at the teams they're actually chasing.

Baltimore, KC and Seattle all have payrolls at least $25M below Toronto's.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Rogers sets a budget that isn't competitive with high payroll teams like the Yankees as Red Sox. Telling AA he can't take on salary is cheap IMO

Maybe, or AA sunk his payroll into players that aren't good enough to make the team competitive enough to win. At what point do you look at a team and think, gee, with another 50 million we could overcome the garbage we have and might actually make the wildcard? IMO, if you remove yourself from the emotional want for the team to make the playoffs, you'd see that giving more money isn't an ideal solution to a team that isn't good enough for the money being spent already.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
blue jays won't win ****. they'll be mediocre for life.

raptors will come close to winning it, but won't be able to finish. the best they will do is get to the conference finals and lose to lebron. plus they aren't good enough to compete against the western conference giants anyways. if they get durant, then maybe...

leafs...well.... they'll continue to give false hope to fans everywhere and say there's always next year. there's always some drama surrounding the leafs, lets wait and see what it is this year...

TL;DR: none of the toronto teams will win a championship in the next decade.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
blue jays won't win ****. they'll be mediocre or life.

raptors will come close to winning it, but won't be able to finish. the best they will do is get to the conference finals and lose to lebron. plus they aren't good enough to compete against the western conference giants anyways. if they get durant, then maybe...

leafs...well.... they'll continue to give false hope to fans everywhere and say there's always next year. there's always some drama surrounding the leafs, lets wait and see what it is this year...

TL;DR: none of the toronto teams will win a championship in the next decade.

I don't know. If TFC can stay healthy they could win it, and I don't think anyone would be talking miracles either

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I would have chosen Raptors easily if there would be just 3 options, but boy oh boy! Raptors are not going to win championship without any superstar. For that to happen Valancuinas, Lowrie, DeRozan has to perform unreal.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
The Jays, quite easily.

How many markets have won an NBA championship in the last 20 years? 5?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad