Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
So much torment on combos. Fact is it's a very competent top 4 with 2 VERY good Centers and 2 VERY good wingers.... but it's some sort of magical conspiracy theory if they try mixing things up to get everyone to a level above what we are seeing.

I am as frustrated as the next fan with recent playoff results blah blah, but long timers will realize every argument on this board about the big prize ALWAYS include some failures, some learning curves, some hard lessons.

This team is still very good ya'know. Let them grow a bit already. Experimentation is good.

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Fair enough although Id be hoping for a full lineup and actually having the better goaltender for once in my life above everything else at the moment. The combined 19 points in 12 games would be more than enough if those things ring true for once.
The team was leading 3-1 in the series.
Also if you take away their points in Game 4 against BJs, which pretty much getting all the bounces in the World, their stats look okay bc I think they have 6 points in that game. Also they only scored 3 goals combined in 12 games. That’s horrible if they are the top two players on your team.
They need to do better same as the rest of the team bc if the Leafs can’t advance in the playoffs, they are all out of the playoffs.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Also if you take away their points in Game 4 against BJs, which pretty much getting all the bounces in the World, their stats look okay bc I think they have 6 points in that game. Also they only scored 3 goals combined in 12 games. That’s horrible if they are the top two players on your team.
They need to do better same as the rest of the team bc if the Leafs can’t advance in the playoffs, they are all out of the playoffs.
I was looking for an answer to the new line combinations question sire? With a link or picture maybe? I couldn't find nothing on our boards or twitter or anythang.... there's a caption from the practise today or something sire?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Disclaimer: I think using Stats without context is absolutely SUTPID!!!!

That said, even using stats blindly you can see Matthews is a lot better with Nylander than Marner.

Table 1: Matthews WOWY with Nylander and Marner

Table 2: Tavares WOWY with Nylander and Marner

Heree is a WOWY stats from natural stattrick for Matthews With and WIthout Marner.

Matthews WOWY
Auston Matthews - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick
TABLE 1
WOWY - MatthewsWilliam NylanderMitchell Marner
TOI With14671
CF% With57.3857.89
Matthews CF% Without58.1657.52
CF% Without Matthews54.1747.18
SF% With52.2355.74
Matthews SF% Without61.3354.97
SF% Without Matthews42.5942.52
GF% With54.5525
Matthews GF% Without4058.33
GF% Without Matthews28.5753.85
xGF% With64.558.75
Matthews xGF% Without57.4863.88
xGF% Without Matthews46.6846.09
SCF% With63.7461.04
Matthews SCF% Without60.7663.58
SCF% Without Matthews51.7951.91
HDCF% With59.739.13
Matthews HDCF% Without46.1561.43
HDCF% Without Matthews47.6250
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Tavares WOWY
John Tavares - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

TABLE 2
WOWY - TavaresWilliam NylanderMitchell Marner
TOI With53164
CF% With62.6151.5
Tavares CF% Without49.7156.91
CF% Without Tavares57.3252.85
SF% With60.9447.88
Tavares SF% Without45.0352.86
SF% Without Tavares5047.37
GF% With44.4450
Tavares GF% Without57.1455.56
GF% Without Tavares45.4533.33
xGF% With72.2250.78
Tavares xGF% Without46.6462.56
xGF% Without Tavares58.7151.77
SCF% With64.6254.89
Tavares SCF% Without52.4157.35
SCF% Without Tavares60.5357.14
HDCF% With7552.11
Tavares HDCF% Without44.6259.09
HDCF% Without Tavares53.8537.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Bottom Line:

• Nylander again looks better but Marner improves significantly with JT than with Matthews.
  • Matthews is a freakin' STUD regardless who he plays with
  • Matthews-Nylander and Tavares-Marner duos actually have a net positive together for the team than Matthews-Marner and Tavares-Nylander

P.S. This post took me freakin' forever to write I ain't writing such posts more often. UNless Dubas pays me to do this ;)
Great Post! awesome work as always!

Reactions: PromisedLand

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Ugh, other than these new lines I really dag that thang :clap: Keeping it cool, I DO NOT LIKE BUNTING on our dirty fourth line............................. mayne bunting should play always with our first two lines. This time: With tavares. Always, with the best guys, this guy GOES TO THE NET, IRRITATES people, GETS PENALTIES TO THE OPPONENT TEAM. This guy can't play in the dirty fourth line................................................................ no no no. No no no like sir ben kingsley yells in "sexy beast" NO NO NO!!! NO NO NO!!! Bunting our best players. Does everythang others don't do. Period. I know bout life and ice hockey. And Bunting.

Reactions: TMLife17

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Forgive me, I was distracted the last time I went to Nashville to see a game.
20180322_205314.jpg

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I’m all for trying different lines because it will help keep them prepared come playoffs since they’ll be familiar playing with each other. If these lines struggle like they did early in the season move on from them and go back to what was working.

James Blackley

Nov 7, 2021
I agree with this, but don’t think Tavares should be split up with marner to compensate for Matthews.

tavares is playing some of his best hockey over the last 15 games, and that coincides with when Marner was put on his line. Nylander plays ok with Matthews, well with Tavares, and really really good with kerfoot. i think for one we should go with:
X- Marner - Tavares
Kase- Matthews - Bunting
X- Kerfoot - Nylander
X - X - Spezza
Or even super line and go kerfoot Nylander 2nd line to keep the kampf line intact

everyone else can fill in the remaining spots. This gives us a chance to experiment without taking away Marner from Tavares who’s been amazing with him

Tavares needs Marner more than Marner needs Tavares, let's be real here it's Marner that drives that line and makes JT a better version of himself. I'm ok with this for a game, but ideally, Keefe should be keeping Mattews/Nylander and JT/Marner as combos.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I’m all for trying different lines because it will help keep them prepared come playoffs since they’ll be familiar playing with each other. If these lines struggle like they did early in the season move on from them and go back to what was working.

The only thing I get mad at Keefe for is being too STUBBORN with the lines.

Experiment away, coach.

Reactions: Macallan18

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Not a fan of AM and MM on the same line.

MM/JT are and always were a great combo and I like the idea of WN with Kerfoot (very good chemistry). AM should be able / learn to carry his own line.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
That’s the problem, they would rather win the Rocket, or Art Ross than just winning the Conn Symthe and the Cup.

I am not saying you are wrong, but you are phrasing this like you have objective proof. Is this your opinion? Or are you buddies with them and they have told you this?

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
I’ve had enough of Keefe. He keeps going back to these pairings that’s just gonna lead to 34 & 16 getting shutdown in the playoffs again facing a devoted checking unit.

How is balancing your scoring lines such a foreign concept?

Reactions: Polaris1010

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I am not saying you are wrong, but you are phrasing this like you have objective proof. Is this your opinion? Or are you buddies with them and they have told you this?
You are taking this way too seriously.

Not saying regular season means nothing but that’s the structure in North American Pro Sports, regular season really doesn’t account to much due to playoffs. Braves is the Champ in Baseball and I have no who got the best record in the regular season. TB is back to back champ, and I think Panthers and Avs had the best records the last two seasons?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The only thing I get mad at Keefe for is being too STUBBORN with the lines.

Experiment away, coach.
Reading off Keefe comments, I agree with him that both Willie and AM are playing well but it seemed like they are not in sync.
I think Willie is a shoot first player now instead of a pass first player like a few years ago.
Would like to see Willie- AF and Bunting on a line and let JT with Spezza and Simmonds and see how that goes.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
You are taking this way too seriously.

Not saying regular season means nothing but that’s the structure in North American Pro Sports, regular season really doesn’t account to much due to playoffs. Braves is the Champ in Baseball and I have no who got the best record in the regular season. TB is back to back champ, and I think Panthers and Avs had the best records the last two seasons?

Finishing first certainly doesn't mean winning in the playoffs. Braves were under .500 into August and got hot at the right time.

San Fran set a club record for wins their franchise and were knocked out in their first rounf.

Such is sports, year in, year out. Very difficult to win. Perhaps not as difficult as the Leafs are making it

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Finishing first certainly doesn't mean winning in the playoffs. Braves were under .500 into August and got hot at the right time.

San Fran set a club record for wins their franchise and were knocked out in their first rounf.

Such is sports, year in, year out. Very difficult to win. Perhaps not as difficult as the Leafs are making it
There is always going to be ONE winner and the rest are losers.
Just comparing Euro football-domestically speaking to Big Four Pro sports in NA. Consistency plays a bigger part in winning the League bc they don’t have playoffs.
Personally, I like that structure better bc you won’t see load MGT and every game matters.

Reactions: Jojalu

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I’ve had enough of Keefe. He keeps going back to these pairings that’s just gonna lead to 34 & 16 getting shutdown in the playoffs again facing a devoted checking unit.

How is balancing your scoring lines such a foreign concept?
MM gets shutdown because he plays the game of a peewee player which does not work in the playoffs. He does not toughen up, he cannot play close to the boards where the fame is played.
He either finds a way to be inventive (like Gretzky did) and drive the game, or become a tougher.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Only on the leafs board do we talk about last years playoffs in a random pregame thread against Nashville the following season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad