Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I can't believe that in four years these guys haven't settled on which stars play better with other. Or why, given the recent run they're on, Keefe is switching it up now.

It seems like a cop out for a player like Matthews who clearly is not his 100% self, for whatever reason. He's an elite player, let him sort it out rather than constantly juggle his linemates which seems to imply that the problem is not him, it's them.

I think mixing the lines up now and then isn't a bad idea. It's not like playing in the top 6 is a demotion with how we roll lines. One of Babcock's biggest weaknesses was he refused to ever change the lines.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Like Marner playing with Mathews. Nashville having a good year. I think Granlund would have been a great pickup this off season. Was surprised he signed for as much as he did. Feeling good about this one. 4-2 Buds.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Will always remember those Dion howitzers from the point which were always 5-10 feet above the net on the PP.

He was such a polarizing figure during his time here, and although I know he regrets Salute Gate, that will never be forgotten.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Like we finna twerk that thang tonight y'all! Twerk twerk twerk twerk twerk that ass!!!!!! :clap: OUR FOOLS IS READY! They real smart! Like Ritchie! First line tonight! Bunting... on the fourth :biglaugh: Bunting should always, always like the italians say be on the first or in the second line. He goes to the net, gets penalties for the opponent and irritates people.. also with a fine shot. So uh, he can't be doing all that in the 4th line. That's a mistake. I hope we can do nashville even without him. (bunting our best player) for reaneall.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
saros has given up 2 or fewer goals in 10/12 starts, duchene has 7 goals in his last 7 games, and nashville have won 8 of their last 10 so this could be a tough one... but nashville also have matt benning on D so who knows

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
Can’t they just send Dion a fruit basket? This better be a quick honouring these things always make the leafs have a slow start historically

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Screenshot_20211116-111915_Sheets.jpg

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What I don't get is that Kase has a bit of a hot hand and has been flying out there and he gets stuck on the 3rd line with 2 black holes, meanwhile Ritchie gets a promotion to the top line? Kase would get a look on one of the top 2 lines in my world. Probably the 2nd line as Nylander can play the off wing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
What I don't get is that Kase has a bit of a hot hand and has been flying out there and he gets stuck on the 3rd line with 2 black holes, meanwhile Ritchie gets a promotion to the top line? Kase would get a look on one of the top 2 lines in my world. Probably the 2nd line as Nylander can play the off wing.

2 things I think:

1 - the Kase-Matthews-Nylander line was legit terrible last game.

2 - getting Ritchie going is pretty important. the guy is a limited player but he should be able to score some goals.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I think mixing the lines up now and then isn't a bad idea. It's not like playing in the top 6 is a demotion with how we roll lines. One of Babcock's biggest weaknesses was he refused to ever change the lines.
I think getting chemistry and having lines work thoroughly in practice is a better strategy personally. Let them gel and ascend

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I think both Kase and Ritchie are middle six tweeners but do agree that Kase brings a bit more offensively. Kase is definitely the better fit on that third line though due to his defensive game fitting the overall M.O.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think both Kase and Ritchie are middle six tweeners but do agree that Kase brings a bit more offensively. Kase is definitely the better fit on that third line though due to his defensive game fitting the overall M.O.

I can see why wanting Ritchie as a big net front presence on this line makes sense. I don't think we've really seen what Ritchie can bring yet.

Reactions: Buds17

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
SIMMONS: Former Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf officially retires, ’proud’ of his career | Toronto Sun

Prior to Tuesday’s game with the Nashville Predators, the Leafs will honour their long-time captain in a pre-game ceremony that might surprise some fans. The current front office, especially team president Brendan Shanahan, has a certain fondness for Phaneuf, who captained the team through many challenging seasons.

Dion was a decent D-man, who was really a victim of expectations beyond his talent level. He had a dangerous slap shot from the blue line for sure, often more dangerous to injure players on his own team, than to score a goal. He came to Toronto to save a team, that really couldn't be saved, which created much of the black mark on his career, through no fault of his own. Tonight, the Leafs honour Dion... hmmm, the leader of terrible teams.

Interesting. Will always remember Phaneuf and Kessel's battle in the pingpong tournament and then on the stationary bike where Phaneuf was paddling like a maniac and Kessel was out for a stroll :laugh:

Phaneuf's two famous achievements were 1) Double-Dion and 2) Salute Gate

Wonder how fans react to Phaneuf ceremony. Would be interesting to see

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Will always remember those Dion howitzers from the point which were always 5-10 feet above the net on the PP.

He was such a polarizing figure during his time here, and although I know he regrets Salute Gate, that will never be forgotten.

Dude he married Elisha don't think he cares about anything else :laugh:

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Nothing is going to sell me Ritchie getting promoted back on a line with Matthews. If you're wanting to stimulate Matthews' production, adding Marner would've been enough. Ritchie is just going to be a shit show like it was the first time around. I understand it's to get him going, but they're nearly a quarter of the way into the season, how much more going can he get?

Not a fan of this move at all. Guarantee you it won't last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad