GDT: Leafs VS Penguins 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
cut.jpg

Game day: Pittsburgh Penguins at Toronto Maple Leafs

Pittsburgh is the only team to have winning streaks of at least seven games in each of the last 10 seasons.

By Mark ZwolinskiSports reporter
Fri., Dec. 16, 2016

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leaf...ttsburgh-penguins-at-toronto-maple-leafs.html

AIR CANADA CENTRE

PUCK DROP: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

KEY PLAYERS

Bryan Rust, Penguins, and Auston Matthews, Leafs. The Leafs have the last line change and could get their prized rookie away from the Pens’ top two lines, featuring Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. That could leave Matthews facing the line of Nick Bonino, Chris Kunitz and Bryan Rust. Matthews leads the Leafs with 14 goals and has also played mostly solid defence.

NEED TO KNOW

The Penguins took a seven-game winning streak into their game with Los Angeles on Friday. Pittsburgh is the only team to have winning streaks of at least seven games in each of the last 10 seasons, according to Elias Sports Bureau … Pittsburgh is averaging 5.6 goals per game. Sidney Crosby is on a nine-game scoring streak (7 goals, 7 assists), while defenceman Justin Schultz has 5 goals and 12 assists in his last nine games … Goaltender Matt Murray was to get the start against the Kings in Pittsburgh Friday, which should put Marc-Andre Fleury in goal against the Leafs in Toronto Saturday … Pittsburgh has recalled defenceman Derrick Pouliot from Wilkes-Barre of the AHL to fill in for Kris Letang, who is out at least two weeks with a lower-body injury.

UP NEXT

Monday, vs. Anaheim, 7:30 p.m.

Leafs can't allow 'big chances' versus Penguins
By Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/16/leafs-cant-allow-big-chances-versus-penguins

If the Maple Leafs want to be the Penguins one day, they already mastered a couple of vital steps.

Be bad enough for long enough that you get high draft picks, including first overall in a lottery. Secondly, generate as many shots as possible, like the 33.4 a game that ranked them second in the league behind Pittsburgh as of Friday afternoon.

But that’s where the similarities end between the polished Pens, who have 25 more goals and nine more wins prior to facing the Kings and the losing Leafs, who’ve blown leads and been on the wrong side of seven overtime results, five by shootouts.

“We play well with the puck, we have to learn better to play without it,†said Andersen, sounding just like coach Mike Babcock. “We didn’t give them anything (Thursday) night, other than the ones we handed to them. That’s the biggest lesson to take from that game (a 3-2 shootout loss). We dominated, but gave up big chances when we got impatient. We get the puck, cycle it well, then suddenly we give up breakaways.

“We have to stick with it, change (lines) well and keep coming at them. We’ll score more and like the result better.â€

In the third period and overtime, Andersen and Mike Smith made 32 combined saves and gave the crowd its money’s worth. Then came the dastardly shootout, Tyler Bozak and Mitch Marner off the post, James van Riemsdyk the crossbar. Two Coyotes were stopped before ex-Leaf Peter Holland fooled Andersen.

TOUGH ASSIGNMENT

The Sidney Crosby Shock and Awe tour comes back to the ACC on Saturday.

Just a few months after hoisting the Stanley Cup, Pittsburgh’s captain began this season by leading Canada to the World Cup and copping tournament MVP honours. After the Pens’ first 30 games, he hasn’t quite matched Connor McDavid’s points’ pace, but was still the first man to reach 20 goals.

“To be elite like he is, year in and year out, you have to have an elite drive train and passion for the game,†said Leafs’ Mike Babcock, Crosby’s coach in September. “He has done it a long period of time now and might be at the highest level he has ever been. The World Cup, that’s the best I’d ever seen him.

“He’s a way better all around player than he used to be; he’s strong, smarter than he’s ever been, which comes from experience. And he’s playing on a really good team, might be the best since the previous Cup team he was on.â€

The coverage assignment on Saturday likely goes to Nazem Kadri. Crosby already has 53 points in 35 career games against Toronto and of course there’s the Hockey Night In Canada spotlight.

“Covering Sid, he’s tenacious, persistent, good down low, especially on his edges,†Kadri said. “He can shake you off well, so you kind of have to jockey him a little bit and gie him the respect he deserves.

“He’s a great player, you have to be hard on him and I plan to do so (Saturday).â€

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With Marc-Andre Fleury in goal and Kris Letang hurt and missing this helps the Leafs break their 3 game losing streak.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
With Marc-Andre Fleury in goal and Kris Letang hurt and missing this helps the Leafs break their 3 game losing streak.

Do you know about a guy called "Sidney Crosby?" I don't care who's they got missing, they still have Crosby, Malkin and Kessel. That's 3 guys with at leat a PPG. They will probably torch us tonight, especially after getting shutout last night. Andersen will need to have close to a career game for us to have a chance.

Last edited:

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I hope we play Matthews out against Crosby. The higher the competition the more he will improve.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks again, for the GDT and updates.., Budsfan... Hoping we see a win against Kessel, tonight... Surprised they called Enroth back up so fast.., but this might hint to something (trade)..?

Every weekend game, I try to spot-light a couple of our players... Today, I am acknowledging two of our younger "Vets".., who have had good seasons, so far... JVR is in 2nd place on the team, with points & goals... and Gards has improved his +/- and Defensive game..

jakegardiner.jpg

Jake Gardiner
Defense -- shoots L
Born Jul 4 1990 -- Minnetonka, MN
26 yrs. ago
Height 6.02 -- Weight 184

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
79 Games... 4 Goals... 20 Assists... 24 Points... -23
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
79 Games... 8 Goals... 24 Assists... 32 Points... -15
*2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
29 Games... 5 Goals... 8 Assists... 13 Points... +3

House Of Gards: All Jake Gardiner's 2015-16 Goals & Highlights - TML (HD)

---------------------------------------------------

jvr-leafs.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x696.jpg

James Van Riemsdyk
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born May 4 1989 -- Middletown, NJ
27 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 209

RECENT STATS:

2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
82 Games... 27 Goals... 29 Assists... 56 Points... -33
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
40 Games... 14 Goals... 15 Assists... 29 Points... +3
*2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
29 Games... 12 Goals... 9 Assists... 21 Points... -3

Magnetism: All James Van Riemsdyk's 2015-16 Goals - TML (HD)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

so basically he has done nothing wrong, but they refuse to play him over polak or hunwick. As others have said if our D was top 10 even top15 in nhl it would make sense but we are bottom 10 maybe even 5 (i dont have the stats)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
so basically he has done nothing wrong, but they refuse to play him over polak or hunwick. As others have said if our D was top 10 even top15 in nhl it would make sense but we are bottom 10 maybe even 5 (i dont have the stats)

I was a little confused with that quote by Babcock and I think it wouldn't hurt to put him in for a game or two, just to have him game ready and it's not as though the same thing couldn't have been done with Holland too, just to keep them game ready and not being upset riding the pine every game.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
[/quote]

What a pointless table.

The guys that score the most against the Leafs are the top forwards in the conference and the top forwards of divisional rivals.

Well who else would it be?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Got a BAD feeling about this one
We're going to rue leaving points on the table against the Avs and Coyotes

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The Leafiest thing that could happen is the Leafs get outplayed and win the game somehow.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Should be a spectacular game with the two most exciting teams playing each other.

You know what? That's what I am looking for. I know we're not making the playoffs, I just want to watch an entertaining game. But at the same time, I would prefer Andersen to not get lit up and play well because he has been playing great.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Boy we're going to pay for the Penguins getting shutout last night.

This one's gonna get ugly folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad