Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Panthers Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think the Panthers are going to have a taste for blood and come out flying, which might set us back on our heels a bit. I think we weather the first five minutes and then take over the game. If Samsonov plays well, this is our game.

GO LEAFS GO!

P.S. Stop complaining about the anti-fans. 1) Giving them attention is exactly what they want, 2) Complaining that people don't like us is unbelievably soft. Learn to laugh at yourselves again, this really isn't that serious.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What story did they write? They have won nothing yet people are still praising them 30 years after. It's just so weird that Mess wants a hero like Dougie when literally a few days ago our captain IN THE PRESENT have scored a series clinching OT goal.
Like come on. I'm just so freaking tired about hearing that team like they are heroes, that high stick and so on. Live in the goddamn present and appreciate todays team.

p.s.: I love Gilmour as well as Clark and appreciate what they did, but this mentality about living in the past and still praising a team from 30 years ago which literally won nothing just like this team today is so sad.
Not sure why you're so offended?

Nikolai Borschevsky scored an OT Goal in Game 7 vs Red Wings in round #1.. Great, winning a round isn't a remarkable achievement in and of itself. :wg:

The 1993 and 1994 Leafs went to the final 4 in back to back years lead and were carried by Doug Gilmour at that time based on his playoff performance and contribution.

Asking who will evolve and be Leafs modern day Gilmour isn't offensive to modern day players asking which one is ready to step up and carry the current torch for the Leafs deep into the playoffs and hopefully even winning the CUP. That's not reliving history that asking for history to be repeated.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In game #1 the Leafs gave away WAY TOO MANY great scoring chances to the Panthers team and forced Sammy into making some incredible saves.

Hopefully the Leafs can play a better and structured defensive game with less HDSC for the Cats. I realize Florida has a speedy and aggressive attack that causes turnovers as Boston found out the hard way, but Leafs need a different game plan to counterattack.

Loved the Leafs backbone and push back against against a physical team into not being bullied and finishing their own checks but several times players like McCabe and Schenn went out of their ways to lay the body which then created defensive breakdowns on position loss that lead to Panthers scoring changes.

This Florida game plan reminds me of the Columbus series in the past with their aggressive forecheck that gave the Leafs problems and lead to lot of OZ possession time and opportunities.

Look for smarter game plan from the Leafs and being able to carry the plan and tie the series at 1.

Go Leafs Go !!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
In game #1 the Leafs gave away WAY TOO MANY great scoring chances to the Panthers team and forced Sammy into making some incredible saves.
Hopefully the Leafs can play a better and structured defensive game with less HDSC for the Cats.
Leafs had more scoring chances and high danger chances in game #1.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We need to ensure ZERO breakaways, 1 or 2 odd man breaks MAX, play better on da wall, increase forecheck sending 2 men to net front blue ice to screen/tip perimeter shots, maintain a few bone crunching hits to reduce Cats forecheck, our D need to protect our net front at all costs, our wingers need to drop back to protect net on occasion when required (no more Willy/Mitch floats), we need to expose Cats weak D with Kerfoot/Willy using their speed to become their daddy, we have to play da right side of da puck in a grit grinding manner, we need 1 forward back to stop odd man rushes, we need Sammy to make 1 or 2 game breaker saves if required but more importantly just make all da regular saves, and lastly we have to bring more speed/pace to game (we can't have cats outskate us and outhustle us to loose pucks) .. ok Keefer there is da game plan which should lead to a W

Reactions: geo25

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I can't see any way other than injury that would see Kampf come out.. His defensive play and FO ability is important.
He is too slow .. we got caved in game 1 and he was one of reasons why .. good edge skater no doubt but no power and speed in his stride

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Montour isn’t going to score at a 30% pace for the series and once this one line team cools off there isn’t much behind them.

The Panthers are absolutely not a one line team.

With Tkachuk, Barkov, Bennett, Reinhart, Verhaeghe, Duclair and Luostarinen they have more then enough pieces to assemble a high-end Top Six.

Don't under estimate this group, they are so much more than a one line team.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Both things can be and are true. Sure Florida feels the same.
The number of scoring chances and high danger chances we allowed last game would have ranked us 2nd best in the league in both in the regular season.
I didn't see the need to pump up Florida in our GDT with things aren't even true.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
The number of scoring chances and high danger chances we allowed last game would have ranked us 2nd best in the league in both in the regular season.
Yes, we had lots of chances, and I think we should be fine this game, game one wasn’t a disaster or anything. We still have up too many high danger chances to Florida, and need to cut down on them.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, we had lots of chances, and I think we should be fine this game, game one wasn’t a disaster or anything. We still have up too many high danger chances to Florida, and need to cut down on them.
We didn't actually give up that many high danger chances to Florida. Florida, on average, generated just under 16 high danger chances per game in the regular season (best in the league). We allowed 11 in game 1. The bigger issue was a 0.625 HDSV%, and people tend to feel like they're giving up more high danger chances than they are when they're going in the net.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Some Leaf fans forgot or likely don't know that Sergei Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina trophies in his past that most recent one in 2017. So while he can be highly volatile in his play he has also shown he has ability to steal games when he is on his game.

I don't think exchanging HDSC in this series is going to be the recipe for success ... The Leafs have to crash the crease, with lots of screens and traffic to knock him off his game and get pucks into that crease area and score dirty and greasy goals in close in this series.

Based on the physical play of game #1 it looks like this series is going to be won in the trenches and players better be prepared to get down to some hard work.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Some Leaf fans forgot or likely don't know that Sergei Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina trophies in his past that most recent one in 2017.
I thought what goalies did in 2017 was irrelevant? Isn't that what you said all year with Murray?
I don't think exchanging HDSC in this series is going to be the recipe for success ...
Doubling your opponent's HDSCs like we did in game 1 is usually a recipe for success.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Father has guaranteed a game 2 win! I was all sad after game 1 but he calmly finished his growler and told me not to worry!

:handclap::handclap::handclap:
I wish your Father would have Guaranteed a game 1 win. None of us would have been sad.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Panthers are 5-0 in these playoffs when they score first. Leafs need to score first and get them to chase the game.

Leafs also need to bury the chances they'll get with that overly aggressive forecheck from the Panthers.

Samsonov also has to be better too.
Not that irs news to anyone, but coming up empty on those pp chances hurt the Leafs chances immeasurably. If they had scored on either one the 1st game would've been in the bag, talk about giving your opponent life.

Father has guaranteed a game 2 win! I was all sad after game 1 but he calmly finished his growler and told me not to worry!

:handclap::handclap::handclap:
Father O'Malley? You're not still snuffing candles for that guy are you?

Reactions: geo25

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We didn't actually give up that many high danger chances to Florida. Florida, on average, generated just under 16 high danger chances per game in the regular season (best in the league). We allowed 11 in game 1. The bigger issue was a 0.625 HDSV%, and people tend to feel like they're giving up more high danger chances than they are when they're going in the net.
Generally when your team is giving up quality HDSC and they end up in your net and you lose the game, many people are able to connect the logical dots of Leafs downfall.

Hey, what if we gave up less HDSC that might help, and not blame the Leafs goalie for not stopping grade A scoring chances against?

Others think hey Leafs had their own HDSC so that solves Leafs giving up too many. :huh:

Too each their own I suppose.

Last edited:

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
I wish your Father would have Guaranteed a game 1 win. None of us would have been sad.

The Leafs have won 100% of the games these playoffs when I have posted. 1 for 1 is pretty substantial evidence. 2/2 after tonight and I shall disappear until needed once more.

Reactions: The Iceman

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
- Limit the stupid, self-inflicted errors
- Run 11-7 with Gus in the lineup. I think Giordano is cooked
- The stars need to produce, especially on the PP

Overall we should be okay unless Bobrovsky continues to be in Vezina form
ZAR is out and lafferty is in.

I see much more value in dressing GUS to take some PP2 duties off Gio's hands than anything Lafferty can bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad