Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Lightning. Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yep, every cup winner top line has faced a checking line, you either show some moxy or cower, that’s why some are champions and others pretenders. Matthews in particular has to hold onto the puck and blow their doors off.
Mathews and Marner still look like they're running from any sort of Body Contact. I thought they would finally change after the years of disappointment...but nope

I dont know how other teams get so lucky with their stars

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Mathews and Marner still look like they're running from any sort of Body Contact. I thought they would finally change after the years of disappointment...but nope

Ours are coddled

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I was told by someone yesterday that this has 0 to do with coaching. I wonder what it has to do with...Is Tampa just too good for us? Bad roster ? Because i'm usually fairly negative of Dubas but i do believe this team has enough pieces to beat Tampa(i think there is enough balance and offensive firepower)....But if a coach believes in something entirely different(like hanging back and defending even though Tampa isn't really great defensively themselves...in terms of chances allowed)...well then...But yea 'it's not coaching'...
We absolutely have the pieces to beat Tampa. Our roster is stacked.

But they still lack that Aggressiveness and Passion. That playoff-style hockey where everyone is playing robust from top-down.

I just dont see it with this team yet

Reactions: MarnerElite

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Game 1 hits (Clifford and Simmonds)
56-36 Tampa (-20)

Game 2 hits (Simmonds)
39-36 Tampa (-3)

Game 3 hits (Spezza)
41-36 Tampa (-5)

Game 4 hits (Spezza)
40-32 Leafs (+8)

So in the two games without both of Clifford + Simmonds in the lineup the leafs have a greater body checking/hitting impact.
Meh the number of hits don't tell the whole story, just like advanced stats don't

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

I’ve been fine with Mitch on the boards. Matthews is huge, it’s a different metric for me. He hasn’t wanted the puck like he does when he’s feeling. Nobody can handle him, he just has to push through. Marner just needs to be shifty and slippery.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
We absolutely have the pieces to beat Tampa. Our roster is stacked.

But they still lack that Aggressiveness and Passion. That playoff-style hockey where everyone is playing robust from top-down.

I just dont see it with this team yet

I think getting at least one of those guys(Simmonds preferably) in, would add that element. Remember in the past you would only need 1 guy who can make some clean hits and it would fire up the rest. These guys can't be so overly cautious that they totally ignore the aggressive side of the game. Just need to keep it clean and it's all good.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep, every cup winner top line has faced a checking line, you either show some moxy or cower, that’s why some are champions and others pretenders. Matthews in particular has to hold onto the puck and blow their doors off.

“Oh if only the seas could part and the Leafs can complete their Stanley Cup prophecy and not get their hairdos messed up” - isn’t it supposed to be hard? Isn’t winning under those difficult conditions the fun part?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's not going to matter whether Holl is in the lineup or not, if the boys get shut down once again and Keefe does nothing about it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think Holl is over hated here, but I would have made the swap to Lilj.

Would also like to see Blackwell on the wing, feels like we need more size down low if we're going to match 4th lines.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's not going to matter whether Holl is in the lineup or not, if the boys get shut down once again and Keefe does nothing about it.
Nope, also the severity of the hit isn't taken into account.
Not all hits are the same.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
JT been bad the whole season despite getting his points. He had his moments here and there but he has been bad. Line 3 is really good and I think Line 4 needs a better identity like are they physical or speed or whatever, right now, it seems like they are out there for the sake of having 3 skaters in the game. AM's line been quiet ever since the first game where they dominated.
Mitch looked great to me in every game except game 4 .. Matty was ok in game 1 but since then is blah blah blah .. but my point was Matty is keeping up with Tampa and it is pretty even steven hockey .. JT loses every race, can't get open for pass, can't get to net front, can't get either up or down ice in transition so what is happening is his line gets stuck as no C to get pucks and distribute to wingers for opportunities .. JT's wingers have to go get their own loose pucks and figure out a way to create without JT at all .. i mean JT is not even functioning in a C role at a 4th line level (he is really a high level AHL player at this point as a C)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They need to go through Cirelli and Point even if they can’t get away. Why are we even talking about Hart Trophies if you can’t get through a matchup checking line?
That's fair.

The CBC panel during periods emphasized a similar thought that if you are a HART candidate then you have to be one both at home against favourable matchups and on the road as well.

Marner still makes him impact on the PK on Matthews has to go beast mode 5v5 always,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad