Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
would be great to see an overtime game and have Matthews outduel Laine to be the hero, great symmetry and sets up a long term rivalry well.

I miss the days where we were relevant enough to be a serious rival in the eyes of other fanbases, and look forward to having grudges like Montreal and Boston fans hold for eachother

eh a rivalry with Winnipeg isn't going to be that great, we only play them twice a year. Not to mention laine and Matthews aren't really close we got the better player and only the team with the lesser player would consider it a rivalry. Doesn't matter how many points/goals laine gets in his career we got a franchise C. If laine was a 100pt W and Matthews a franchise C 82 points every yr 2way its still the right choice.

Now Buffalo that could become a legit rivalry. In every position except 1D I think we have the better player though.
Matthews>Eichel
Marner>Reinhart
W Nylander> A Nylander (or whoever fits as next best, alex and kapanen are probably more comparables currently)
Rielly<Ristolainen
Andersen>Lehner

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Matthews and Laine are only comparable offensively(so far).

AM is much better overall and the Calder vote reflected that.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
eh a rivalry with Winnipeg isn't going to be that great, we only play them twice a year. Not to mention laine and Matthews aren't really close we got the better player and only the team with the lesser player would consider it a rivalry. Doesn't matter how many points/goals laine gets in his career we got a franchise C. If laine was a 100pt W and Matthews a franchise C 82 points every yr 2way its still the right choice.

Now Buffalo that could become a legit rivalry. In every position except 1D I think we have the better player though.
Matthews>Eichel
Marner>Reinhart
W Nylander> A Nylander (or whoever fits as next best, alex and kapanen are probably more comparables currently)
Rielly<Ristolainen
Andersen>Lehner

I still like the story for when (not if) we eventually meet in the playoffs - not so much a rational motive, more drama makes for more entertainment so I'll cheer for the story

Agree on Buffalo though, I think they take a step forward this year and there's great symmetry between the teams especially if Alex Nylander turns into a player. I'd add O'Rielly>Kadri to the list, and I'd say that there's an argument for Kane<JVR for now - tons of parallels to draw

member 262271

I stupidly agreed to work during the opener, way to go me. I'll probably catch bits and stressful pieces though. I don't feel particularly good when the leafs play the jets, something about them I suppose. Either way, GLG, happy the season is almost here!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I want this one bad. The last thing I want is a long-ass season hearing about how the Jets beat us in a head to head Patrik Laine blah blah blah. I want us to come out guns blazing and see Gardiner and Rielly playing like they did in the playoffs. We're gonna win a lot of hockey games this year, so let's get down to business.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I want this one bad. The last thing I want is a long-ass season hearing about how the Jets beat us in a head to head Patrik Laine blah blah blah. I want us to come out guns blazing and see Gardiner and Rielly playing like they did in the playoffs. We're gonna win a lot of hockey games this year, so let's get down to business.

I don't really care too much about this single game because I think after 82 games the Leafs will be going to the playoffs whereas the Jets will be watching them.

It would be nice to start the season off with a win though. Now that we're a good team, I don't see many teams we can't beat in our schedule.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Matthews>Eichel
Marner>Reinhart
Rielly<Ristolainen
Andersen>Lehner

Id take Rielly, Gardiner, and Zaitsev over Risto... except on the PP.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
why was Babcock going on about Borgman and230 pounds blah blah. He is listed as 212 pounds its not like a close enough situation

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Glad to see Borgman and Fehr on the team! Borgman and Carrick will form a gritty bottom pairing and Carrick may play even fiestier than he already does (gritty for a 5'8" D-man) , knowing that he has a big and strong D partner beside him to back him up. Moore didnt impress me in the slightest this preseason and I'm glad Babcock picked the guy who won the job and not just Moore because they just signed him to be the 4C. Sends the right message to players imo. Fehr is a bigger body and will fit the checking role better i would think. Fehr and Borgman's size will be welcome against a big jets team. Go leafs go!

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
For a group of fans that claims there's no rivalry with the Jets and Matthews is clearly the better player, you guys are spending a lot of time talking about Matthews vs Laine. And there's no real reason why the NHL would pick Leafs@Jets to start the season except for the Matthews/Laine angle.

Here's hoping for a good game by both teams to start the season off right!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For a group of fans that claims there's no rivalry with the Jets and Matthews is clearly the better player, you guys are spending a lot of time talking about Matthews vs Laine. And there's no real reason why the NHL would pick Leafs@Jets to start the season except for the Matthews/Laine angle.

Not really but go with whatever comforts you.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

It certainly seems like a big deal from the Winnipeg perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad