Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Flames | Dec. 9th, 2014 | 7:30 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Play the starter for the easy games.

We need to beat Calgary and Detroit each once. Start Bernier for them, then Reimer for the other Detroit and LA game. Reimer is still a good goalie, and even with a loss in LA we can still make 4 of 8 points and put up a good effort the 2nd time around in detroit.

That was what I was thinking. Better to "secure" at least 4 points and hope Reimer can show up in the other two games.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The Flames are the team Burke should have built for us.

Burke doesn't know how to build jack. His successes in Anaheim and now Calgary have both been highly dependent on someone else laying down the foundation and making the hard moves. What he is good at is talking a lot of crap and making bold promises.

One of the biggest frauds in the league as far as I'm concerned.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Burke doesn't know how to build jack. His successes in Anaheim and now Calgary have both been highly dependent on someone else laying down the foundation and making the hard moves. What he is good at is talking a lot of crap and making bold promises.

You don't like him that's very fair. To suggest he doesn't know jack is absolutely not true.

You forget his work in Vancouver. His work in Toronto is admirable considering what he started with, which was Matt Stajan our #1 Center, an aging Kaberle as our #1 and Toskala our #1 and we had no prospects in our pipeline other than a young Kulemin.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Burke put in better core players than Flames have. Flames are better at coaching and leadership. Gio is a heck of a captain

Really, really? Sorry, I just don't see it! Our core has done nothing but collapse, season after season! Come on. :rant:

I'll wait to see how the Flames core do leading up to, and in, this season's playoffs, before I declare our core to be better! ;)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I look forward to staying up until five in the morning to watch this game together with my cat and a taco.

I got tired just writing that sentence.

:laugh: I quit work in an hour (so I am kind of an professional HF poster...) then it is home, get something to eat and hope I can stay awake for 3 periods. NHL, cant live without it, hard to live with it.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

I feel the same way about Burke! Full of hot air and foul language IMHO. :rant:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

Agree. Imagine having 2 HHOF players for various reasons wanting to sign for your team. And if that is not enough another HHOF players wife wants to live just where your team is located and the previous GM was nice enough to leave you with enough picks and players to get him. And if that was not enough, your team already had 2 of the most promising young forwards at the time on the team along with a goalie and some other players who made the finals some years earlier.

Yeah, Burke is probably the most lucky cup winning GM of all time.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
You don't like him that's very fair. To suggest he doesn't know jack is absolutely not true.

You forget his work in Vancouver. His work in Toronto is admirable considering what he started with, which was Matt Stajan our #1 Center, an aging Kaberle as our #1 and Toskala our #1 and we had no prospects in our pipeline other than a young Kulemin.

His Vancouver teams won a single playoff round his entire time there and proceeded to choke year after year following his departure with the exception of 2011.

He's talked about as if he is this sort of hockey guru and he himself talks down to people whose opinions he doesn't agree with with a distinct aura of arrogance.

Fact is though, his reputation is undeserved. We saw what he did here when he didn't walk into a convenient situation. Going on year six or seven now of this "retool" when he said his strategy was to not undergo a five year rebuild...

Last edited:

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Remind the Flames fans of their recent woes and Feaster's hilarious run at GM.

Bob Hartley
Sean Monahan
Johnny Gaudreau
Jiri Hudler
Dennis Wideman
Kris Russell
Karri Ramo
David Jones
Markus Granlund
Josh Jooris
Joe Colborne
Paul Byron

Oh yeah, Feaster really screwed this team for sure. There's only a great head coach, a starting goalie, a good 2nd pair, a #1 center, a rookie sensation, and like 60 goals there.

Just wait till prospects like Poirier, Klimchuk, Gillies, Sieloff and Wotherspoon arrive. Then it will be really hilarious.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Bob Hartley
Sean Monahan
Johnny Gaudreau
Jiri Hudler
Dennis Wideman
Kris Russell
Karri Ramo
David Jones
Markus Granlund
Josh Jooris
Joe Colborne
Paul Byron

Oh yeah, Feaster really screwed this team for sure. There's only a great head coach, a starting goalie, a good 2nd pair, a #1 center, a rookie sensation, and like 60 goals there.

Just wait till prospects like Poirier, Klimchuk, Gillies, Sieloff and Wotherspoon arrive. Then it will be really hilarious.

You forgot Bennet lol, but the flames are playing way over their heads right now.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
You forgot Bennet lol, but the flames are playing way over their heads right now.

Bennett was picked by Brad Treliving our new GM. Players GetThePuckOut listed are players that Feaster brought in. and rightfully so, laid the foundation for our great success so far.
While maybe we are playing above expectations, there isn't any reason why we can't maintain it, barring any crippling injuries. Difference is, we know we are supposed to be bottom feeders, and are greatly enjoying our success so far. If the wheels of the wagon fall off, we can say, yeah we expected that to happen.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Bennett was picked by Brad Treliving our new GM. Players GetThePuckOut listed are players that Feaster brought in. and rightfully so, laid the foundation for our great success so far.
While maybe we are playing above expectations, there isn't any reason why we can't maintain it, barring any crippling injuries. Difference is, we know we are supposed to be bottom feeders, and are greatly enjoying our success so far. If the wheels of the wagon fall off, we can say, yeah we expected that to happen.

Oh woops I thought he was just listing the teams assets in general. Team reminds me a lot of ours last season, the stats looking grim but they still keep winning, and it inevitably crashes down on them.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
For all the talk of Burke here, just a reminder that he is NOT the GM of Calgary. Brad Treliving is, and he's not Burke's puppet by any means.

The only moves that Burke made was to convince Feaster to go after Colborne (good move), send down Baertschi (possibly crippling his confidence in the process; hard to say), and firing Feaster and bringing in Treliving.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I am from calgary and i am impressed with what calgary has accomplished so far, but i have seen this story with the leafs before.

Feaster was an idiot, but like anyone good came with the bad, and i wouldnt include wideman in the good pile, he has been good so far this year, but overall lack luster. (Would be me hailing clarkson a 30 goal scorer)

Shall be interesting to see what burke and treeliving have in store come deadline, id hope taking on salary for picks, or at least trading assets for now players.

So excited for the game !!

Bionda

AL East Champions
Dec 31, 2007
Toronto, ON

Thanks for dropping by. They are a middling team playing above their heads, not dissimilar to the Leafs teams of the past 2-3 years.
Are you arguing that Feaster wasn't one of the most inept GMs in NHL history?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
For all the talk of Burke here, just a reminder that he is NOT the GM of Calgary. Brad Treliving is, and he's not Burke's puppet by any means.

The only moves that Burke made was to convince Feaster to go after Colborne (good move), send down Baertschi (possibly crippling his confidence in the process; hard to say), and firing Feaster and bringing in Treliving.

So in related news, what does Shanahan do?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Agree. Imagine having 2 HHOF players for various reasons wanting to sign for your team. And if that is not enough another HHOF players wife wants to live just where your team is located and the previous GM was nice enough to leave you with enough picks and players to get him. And if that was not enough, your team already had 2 of the most promising young forwards at the time on the team along with a goalie and some other players who made the finals some years earlier.

Yeah, Burke is probably the most lucky cup winning GM of all time.

True. 75% roster overhaul in 1.5 years and trading out your top 5 scorers.....it was all his predecessor.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for dropping by. They are a middling team playing above their heads, not dissimilar to the Leafs teams of the past 2-3 years.
Are you arguing that Feaster wasn't one of the most inept GMs in NHL history?

Yes, that is what I'm arguing. This team one of the big stories of the league and a lot of it is because of Feaster.

Flames have right now a legit Jack Adams candidate thanks to Feaster. A Calder candidate. One of the top prospect pools in the league. And many other great assets.

It's HF groupthink to assume that he was such a disaster, but he really did transform this team in a positive way. Besides Jankowski, his draft record was superb.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I am from calgary and i am impressed with what calgary has accomplished so far, but i have seen this story with the leafs before.

Feaster was an idiot, but like anyone good came with the bad, and i wouldnt include wideman in the good pile, he has been good so far this year, but overall lack luster. (Would be me hailing clarkson a 30 goal scorer)

Shall be interesting to see what burke and treeliving have in store come deadline, id hope taking on salary for picks, or at least trading assets for now players.

So excited for the game !!

Wideman has been pretty good since coming to Calgary. A bit inconsistent due to injuries, but the reputation he has as being a gong show in his own zone is extremely overstated. He's not nearly as bad defensively as he's made out to be.

Ask any Flames fan, they'll tell you that Russell and Wideman have been absolutely vital to this team's success. We would be garbage without that 2nd pair that Feaster brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad