Pre-Game Talk: Leafs Vs Caps| Apr. 16 |On TSN at 7 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
It comes down to this. The pecking order. Teams such as Ottawa/Montreal/Canucks have earned the right to pick some fun at us. Essentially they have all been better teams than us and have truthfully outplayed us over the last few years. Sens and Habs are also our major rivals so of course their is a sense of entitled hate towards us. The Jets come in guns blazing bashing on the team, the fans and our history. Here is the issue. They are the new kinds on the block, they were very under-whelming the first time around, they were pretty bad when they were the thrashers and now that they are the Jets again, it is the same routine. Play good for a stretch and then bomb out.

It just confuses me over an attempt to start a rivalry when we are not that close in comparison to Ottawa/Montreal/Buffalo/Detroit and they are about to move to the western conference come next season. It also bothers me because a majority of their fans/posters were ex leafs/habs/sens fans. There are only a few that were actual jets/Atlanta fans.

Also the whole stats crunching to prove how the Leafs will bomb out and how the Jets will steal the division title bothered A LOT of people, yet they won't come out and say "You guys have played well, we were wrong"

If the Jets outperformed the Leafs, the way the sens/habs were this season, I'd toss them their respect, I would not grasp at straws and be ignorant.

Great post, right on the money.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Ugh don't even get me started on that advanced statistic crap. I hate bloggers but they get retweeted on my feed, and it's just ridiculous because they treat it as some trend that will be continuous.

Edit: That Winnipeg rant of them crunching numbers was hilarious though, because they were completely wrong.

Anyway, beat the caps!

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Ugh don't even get me started on that advanced statistic crap. I hate bloggers but they get retweeted on my feed, and it's just ridiculous because they treat it as some trend that will be continuous.

Anyway, beat the caps!

(*Nasally voice) "If you look at the means of regression, the amount of shots taken and the number of times we've won when the puck bounces off the fourth stanchion from the visiting teams bench on Sundays, you can CLEARLY see that the Jets will be better in the long run and the Leafs will collapse. It's just common sense. Snort snort guffaw"

:shakehead

:sarcasm: (but only slightly)

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
(*Nasally voice) "If you look at the means of regression, the amount of shots taken and the number of times we've won when the puck bounces off the fourth stanchion from the visiting teams bench on Sundays, you can CLEARLY see that the Jets will be better in the long run and the Leafs will collapse. It's just common sense. Snort snort guffaw"

:biglaugh: Well done.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Washington are one of the hottest teams in the league at the moment, but so are we! Should be a great game, go Leafs go!

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place

hahahaha :laugh::handclap:

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
We shouldn't be too afraid of the Caps. Look at who they've played in the last seven games:

Carolina
NYI
Florida
Tampa
Montreal
Carolina
Tampa

Five out of seven of those opponents suck. The Islanders they beat in the shootout and the Habs they beat by one. No shutouts, and they gave up two or more in five out of those seven games. Hell, Tampa got 5 on them Saturday and brought them to OT.

I like our offence against Holtby and our D is probably better than any of those teams as of late. I'd put money on us to win.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Well I've got an exam during 7-9 today...so let's hope for best at both places.

It's my last exam! Go Leafs Go! We got this game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well I've got an exam during 7-9 today...so let's hope for best at both places.

It's my last exam! Go Leafs Go! We got this game.

Good luck! :) you're going to be fantastic, I just know it :)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
we just need to show up, and play our game, and we should do well :)
love my maple leafs, exam people - good luck, you'll be great!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hopefully Scrivens gets the start.

As much as playing Reimer right now is the way to go, you have to play your backup to get him into a game situation, especially with 5 games in 7 days.

Reimer deserves a night off. The whole team will need to play better tonight.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm going to be honest here, I think we lose this one tonight and that's not necessarily a bad thing, boys. We've been winning, but largely because Reimer has been amazing and Kessel has been in beast-mode. I think a loss might wake us up a bit and help us focus on the kind of hockey we need to play in a few weeks time.

But if we win by playing strong, controlled hockey, even better!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
This. There player/fan reactions to the last tor/wpg game was ridiculous. Jet players calling out the leafs and Orr because he pummeled Thornburn twice (check my avatar, beautiful! Taken as soon as he popped him in the face) and some code that was broken? Sounded like a lot of whining to me. Winnipeg free press posting articles on why the leafs should be hated. Fans declaring they'll be making the playoffs over the buds and of course you got hab/sen/canook fans that chime in and support them. I'll support any american club over the other canadian teams. :laugh:

Bring on the hate, baby!!!

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
We shouldn't be too afraid of the Caps. Look at who they've played in the last seven games:

Carolina
NYI
Florida
Tampa
Montreal
Carolina
Tampa

Five out of seven of those opponents suck. The Islanders they beat in the shootout and the Habs they beat by one. No shutouts, and they gave up two or more in five out of those seven games. Hell, Tampa got 5 on them Saturday and brought them to OT.

I like our offence against Holtby and our D is probably better than any of those teams as of late. I'd put money on us to win.

Wow, excellent point. I wasn't aware of the actual opponents theyve been playing.
in that case, as long as Phanoooooooof can shut down Ovi and Kadri's line starts firing, we should be ok.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
whats with the beef for Winnipeg? sure, this city sucks but hey i support all of Canada except the Habs/Sens obvs. plus would rather WSH miss as they are cleary the bigger threat in the playoffs.

I digest, GLG!!! we will crush them!!:nod::yo:

I just don't like Claude Noel's haircut.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
He reminds me of the hitman they kill with a pool ball from the Boondock Saints.

That was a good movie.

Guys, let's keep the conversation on the Caps and Leafs and let's not insult fanbases. Thank you.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
The Caps are a one line team. If Dion and Gunnar (if he plays) can tone down the Ovi line to no more than 1 goal tonight, we have a good chance to win.

GO LEAFS GO!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad