Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Really? I think that effort is the thing that is always most in doubt about this team for years.. which is really what leads to many of the breakdowns.

Never willing to make the simple plays, take hits to make the play, dish out punishment to the opposition, go to the dirty areas and.. just get it done.
In the playoffs? Disagree.

Yes, the breakdowns happen for sure, but it's not from a lack of effort. Effort and execution are not the same thing. What you are describing is a chronic issue with this team, situational awareness!

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
The leafs…….not enough man
IMG_3173.jpeg

Pictured: Not completely stable eyes of death

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To be fair, Sammy's season had two halves.
The first half was a horror show, passed through waivers, then got some time off and was mostly solid, and at times spectacular.

Yes, Boston clearly has the advantage in net, but keep in mind that the Leafs got by Tampa Bay & Vasilevskiy last year with Samsonov - including him allowing only 3 goals combined in the last 2 games. He'll obviously have to be very good for the Leafs to have any chance and I believe he has it in him, just not sold yet he'll be able to keep it up for a deep playoff run.
Well to be fair Vas was playing hurt .. After the series he had surgery and missed the first 20 games of this current season.

Sammy last year's playoffs SV% and GAA

1713493932006.png

Sammy this year regular season SV% and GAA

1713493781617.png

Sammy's this year regular season was just as poor as his last year's playoffs with nearly identical stats.

Just like last year Leafs offense is going to need to outscore their weak goaltending to have any chance of beating Boston.

Reactions: torontoblood

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
Oh boy, they might pass us tonight :laugh:Edmonton has dressed a dreadful lineup, while Colorado has their A squad.
The leafs will still be the highest scoring team in the east regardless.

As of now both Colorado and Toronto are tied for first in team Scoring. Both teams have scored 303 goals.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I forgot to make a thread, I wouldn't mind doing the first one. If it goes poorly you can take game 2?
Go for it, I’m not good for it anyhow, got a couple wild days of kids hockey coming that’s gonna wipe me out of free time. I’ll rep the BwO somewhere in it, take one somewhere later.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Go for it, I’m not good for it anyhow, got a couple wild days of kids hockey coming that’s gonna wipe me out of free time. I’ll rep the BwO somewhere in it, take one somewhere later.
I will call dibs on game one of the conference finals though lol.. unless there’s a GDT’er on a heater, won’t mess with mojo

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Yeah it's this or Game 3/4 is Wednesday/Friday. There's precedent for both - I checked previous years and sometimes there's the two day break above and sometimes it's just a one day break.
Perfect may have just bought game 3 tickets with my buddy without knowing the date when my gf already bought us good Jays tickets for the Friday night. And no there isn’t a chance I’m not going to the Leafs with my buddy lol

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Perfect may have just bought game 3 tickets with my buddy without knowing the date when my gf already bought us good Jays tickets for the Friday night. And no there isn’t a chance I’m not going to the Leafs with my buddy lol
Yeah you do the Leafs game haha. Game 3 will be the Wednesday or Thursday, so you're prob good for both games!

Reactions: peconcan

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Well to be fair Vas was playing hurt .. After the series he had surgery and missed the first 20 games of this current season.

Sammy last year's playoffs SV% and GAA

View attachment 854916

Sammy this year regular season SV% and GAA

View attachment 854915

Sammy's this year regular season was just as poor as his last year's playoffs with nearly identical stats.

Just like last year Leafs offense is going to need to outscore their weak goaltending to have any chance of beating Boston.
Good Sammy is very good. Let’s hope we get good Sammy.

Good Woll is even better then good Sammy.

Need one to get hot. Like Officer Bobrovsky did last year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Goals saves above expected ..

View attachment 854767

Context.

There are 32 teams in the league and each have a starter #1 goalie (=32 goalies) + each team has backup #2 (+ 32 goalies = 64 goalies) & if you take each team's 3rd string goalies (+32 more = 96 goalies) .

Leafs starting goalie SAMMY has Goals Saved above expected = 87th of 96 goalies which ranks him about the level of a teams low-end 3rd string goalie in GSAx vs. Boston goalies who are both in the top 7 overall in the league,

Which team is likely to get that key save when needed? Sammy has a negative -8.1 GSAx.

Which team has the advantage in net the Bruins or the Leafs who's starting goalie was so bad earlier in the year that he was placed on waivers and NOBODY claimed him?

GSAx for the entire season is silly... if you do it per 60 it is comparable, but otherwise, the stat is silly.

Samsanov is -.211 per 60.
Woll is .294 per 60.

Woll is above Markstrom, Bobrovsky, Hill, Shesterkin, Thompson, and Oettinger.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
GSAx for the entire season is silly... if you do it per 60 it is comparable, but otherwise, the stat is silly.

Woll is .294 per 60.

That's because Woll is a beast

Reactions: OddyOh

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Wow... finally saw the first round schedule. Kinda surprised. Not big on the 8pm starts but really I can't complain too much. That's a pretty nice opening round schedule I think.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Just hope the boys keep it simple defensively. Keep shots to the outside, don't let Pastrnak skate into the slot without at least one body glued to him like peanutbutter on toast.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
In which year did this take place?
oh is this a cleaver "gotcha" to point out that his contract doesn't kick in until next year, where you are hoping beyond hope that he somehow scores more than he did this year?

lol.

Buckle up, buttercup. I'm gonna hammer this truth home for the next 8 years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just hope the boys keep it simple defensively. Keep shots to the outside, don't let Pastrnak skate into the slot without at least one body glued to him like peanutbutter on toast.
That would be nice. That last few games were so bad, hopefully they can shake it off and start playing the game the way they can. Need the PP to wake up as well.

Reactions: The Management

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

Woll is .294 per 60.

I was hoping that was the case, but his recent play has me concerned. It has to be because of the lingering effects from that high ankle sprain.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I was hoping that was the case, but his recent play has me concerned. It has to be because of the lingering effects from that high ankle sprain.
The ankle sprain is definitely an issue. One of the hardest injuries to come back from, takes forever to heal.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad