Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Ilya Samsonov is 5-10-0 in 17 games with a goals against average of 3.06 and a save percentage of .902 in the playoffs in his career.

Frederik Andersen is 32-26-0 in 62 games with a goals against average of 2.44 and a save percentage of .917 in the playoffs in his career.

Without question we are toast with samsonov. Samsonov speaks for himself.
Freddy AndersEn plays for the Carolina Hurricane and has for quite some time.

Reactions: banks and bax

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
View attachment 853763

So this is our regular season record against the Bruins this year. Not that regular season records mean everything when it comes to the playoffs... but we've lost SEVEN games in a row to them, going back to last season. The last time we beat Boston was November 5th, 2022. We've been outscored 26-13 over those seven games.

So.. Good Luck with that.
This information is irrelevant

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Our reality is that Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly and Samsonov have to be our 6 best players. Yes, we need the support staff to be solid as well, but even if they are and these guys are not great, it's not going to matter. The sad part is, it will only take one of them not being great to derail the entire thing. Such is our roster as constructed.
In the Bolts-Panthers series it's pretty safe to assume Kuch-Point-Stamkos-Hedman-Cernak-Vasi are gonna be Tampa's guys. We may have beat them last year but we got outplayed badly through 6 games. Just once we need our core to turn up like theirs.

Reactions: wingman75

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Keefe’s job is on the line. He has to make some ballsy moves to have a chance to win this series and maybe save his job.

#1. Play Matthews, Nylander and Marner on different lines. They all should drive their lines. You have the added bonus of Tavares on one, with Domi and Bertuzzi playing up to snuff lately. Then Knies and Holmberg(or Jarnkrok if healthy) with Marner. I think if we really want to see Marner become real factor in playoffs is make him pissed off and force him to produce for more ice time.

#2. Sit guys that aren’t playing well. Especially on defence. If they are playing through injury and not performing well, they sit. If Rielly is banged up, he should sit, he looked like crap the last game. The same with Brodie. If Edmundson looks like a pilon again, sit him.

#3 We don’t see practice and day to day mental fitness of the goalies. If he doesn’t think Woll or Sammy are up to it, get Jones in there. Maybe even Murray if he is ready. The guy has 2 cups.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Look at this PeeWee D coverage.

Is this legit ? Rielly (LD) wanders over to the right with a man, and Holmberg is supposed to cover the RW ?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
At the end of the day, we have an opportunity to rewrite the narrative. I think on paper we are evenly matched up, but we all know how this story historically tends to go regardless of what the battle on the lineup card shows.

I think in the past I was more nervous at the idea of yet another series loss to the Bruins, but at this point that is old news to me. 1st round exits suck no matter who you play. This time around the excitement of potentially putting those demons to rest far outweighs the fear of defeat. At least for me.

I respect this Bruins team and how they play but I am also not scared of them. I think we have every ability to keep up with them physically, which is something that has hurt us in the past. I also think we have better depth scoring than years past. They won't just be able to shut down the Mitch/Auston line and call it a series like in previous years.

This is going to be a dogfight. But I think we are well equipped to be in that fight for once. I really think it's going to come down to goaltending and special teams, or lack thereof.

I'm excited. Should be a great series

Reactions: OddyOh and Strangle

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I responded to a comment on the first or second page of that thread where some guy was whining about obnoxious leafs fans having quoted merely a post where someone had said he thinks the leafs have better offense and will win. There was nothing to it that could ever be construed as obnoxious.

So I called him out on being a sensitive little snowflake and suggested he forego interacting with people since he finds it so distressing.

Naturally this was promptly deleted.

The mains are just not worthwhile for us.

Is his post still up? I reported it for trolling

I would like to chirp out in the open, the bruins fans are big boys who love to dish it, they don’t need to hide behind the mods to get their chirps in.

As I was told “just because some fans do some racist things doesn’t make all their fans racist”

This is true

But just because some fans are annoying doesn’t mean all fans are annoying

Let’s apply the same logic to both fan bases

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I know recent history, not-so-recent history says Boston is a terrible matchup for Toronto. But still, I'm happier with this matchup than with Florida.

Its the playoffs soon, last night doesn't matter, neither does the regular season. You have Boston in front of you, beat them 4 times in 7 games. Not out of the question, and even with the flaws this team has, it should be expected to win.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I know recent history, not-so-recent history says Boston is a terrible matchup for Toronto. But still, I'm happier with this matchup than with Florida.

Its the playoffs soon, last night doesn't matter, neither does the regular season. You have Boston in front of you, beat them 4 times in 7 games. Not out of the question, and even with the flaws this team has, it should be expected to win.

I fully believe the leafs need to beat Boston to break through

Let’s get it done

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Look at this PeeWee D coverage.

Is this legit ? Rielly (LD) wanders over to the right with a man, and Holmberg is supposed to cover the RW ?

Rielly truly sucks at defence. If he plays like he did last playoffs, we can forgive a few defensive indiscretions. If he plays like he has lately where he’s roving all over the ice indiscriminately, then we’re in trouble.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Goal 4

Rielly truly sucks at defence. If he plays like he did last playoffs, we can forgive a few defensive indiscretions. If he plays like he has lately where he’s roving all over the ice indiscriminately, then we’re in trouble.
Are we trying to play "man to man" D ?

Really ?

The opponent I wanted but still a good team. Go Leafs Go.
Why ?

Bruins fans call us their "ideal matchup" and were scared of Tampa.

Why are you glad to get Boston's preferred matchup ?

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
The opponent I wanted but still a good team. Go Leafs Go.
1713373913422.png

You folks need some ashwagnda. Series hasn't even started.
You've underdosed.

This sub needs Special K (Matthew Perry dosing).

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
You folks need some ashwagnda. Series hasn't even started.

We exist in a perpetual state of anxiety and disappointment.

Just kidding... kind of. I'm getting excited. I'd rather be in this position, than that of any of a number of other teams that didn't make the show. Playoff hockey is a reward in an of itself.

Reactions: Jojalu

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
What bugs me about Marchand is how the NHL lets him get away with the kinds of antics they banned Sean Avery for years ago. But it's okay if you're playing for Boston, apparently...
Marchand doesn't embarrass the league on social media and the press

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad