Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I would like to see Keefe end the Reaves experiment in game 5, which I think is what will happen. His impact is minimal at this point, and I think it's clear that trying to outhit Boston isn't producing the desired outcome.
I think the problem is less reaves and more so big 4 forwards + knies + robertson + jarnkrok

Only bertuzzi and domi have played good enough in the top 9

The other 7 guys are not generating enough quality looks or missing the few high end looks they get

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I see three possibilities here:

1. Leafs lose in game 5 = similar to game 4
2. Leafs win in game 7 = team snaps out of it and goes on a run and saves the team
3. Leafs lose in game 7 = bring hope to the fan base but then kills us again

I think the third option is most likely cause its very leaf like.
I'd almost even settle for the heartbreak (#3) at this point if it meant three more games. I'd obviously prefer #2 by a landslide and am vehemently opposed to #1.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
There's no excuses at this time of year, but I do wonder where we would be right now if Matthews, Marner and Nylander were healthy throughout this series.

I guess we'll see if it makes any difference on Tuesday.
They are healthy, cut the excuses man

Marner was at a 105 point pace since coming back. He’s not injured, just a scared little kid

Matthews is “sick” and it gets worse when he “asserts himself”. At this point matthews could have a broken wrist and I’d still expect production. He’s supposedly injured every year so he should learn how to play despite it at $13.25m

Nylander played like this shit for 20 games now. He’s been awful since like March

They are getting outplayed by a 2nd line Marchand

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would like to see Keefe end the Reaves experiment in game 5, which I think is what will happen. His impact is minimal at this point, and I think it's clear that trying to outhit Boston isn't producing the desired outcome.
He actually hasn't been the worst on the team at either end of the ice to this point. Any argument to replace him could involve him averaging a team-low in TOI/G though.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think the problem is less reaves and more so big 4 forwards + knies + robertson + jarnkrok

Only bertuzzi and domi have played good enough in the top 9

The other 7 guys are not generating enough quality looks or missing the few high end looks they get

Domi and Bertuzzi have been crap imo

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
IMG_7381.jpeg

Just wanted to share a pic of guys who truly cared and played their f***in asses off for us in the playoffs.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We can only hope the team picks each other up and take an us against the world mentality from here. It’s the only chance we have of getting back into this series

Reactions: Bellzy and Buds17

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They have been the undisputed 2 best leafs this series

Like no one else has been even close.

They have produced, played physical, carried the 1st line the past 2 games to whatever chances they have generated

They have not. That’s utterly laughable
Bertuzzi especially has been completely ineffective

Domi had a good game 2. He’s been otherwise useless

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I dont know what games your watching and how you can conclude that

Bertuzzi is tied for team lead in pts, has been getting chances playing front of the net and greasy role.

Him and Domi are still playing above expectations.

The big 4 + robertson + knies + jarnkrok need to step up

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Disagree completely

If we keep Matthews (which we will), they are good linemates. He needa to step up and play like a top 5 player in the world and not an average everyday 1C

I had no issue with Domi through games 1 and 2 minus the bad game 1 penalty. The last 2 games he’s been bad. That line only works when Matthews is able to play at his usual quality. That’s generally fine and I’d keep Domi based on that at the right price. But Matthews does not have it right now in games 3 and 4, whether that’s illness, some injury effecting his mobility or him just choking, that line goes as he goes and they look as bad as the rest of the offense

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

I think unless something crazy happens ....Domi is going to get an offer in the $3M range...too bad for him because if he was able to keep up his regular season play he could have cashed in a bit. Bert...he can go as far as I am concerned...not impressed at all. He can't handle the puck worth a shit and is just barely a step above JT when it comes to turnovers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I see three possibilities here:

1. Leafs lose in game 5 = similar to game 4
2. Leafs win in game 7 = team snaps out of it and goes on a run and saves the team
3. Leafs lose in game 7 = bring hope to the fan base but then kills us again

I think the third option is most likely cause its very leaf like.

1) Losing in 5 vs Boston in Boston is the most humane way to kill off this era. Make it a swift and decisive end, show the core group has checked out on Keefe. Let consequences flow from such a horrible performance. Or win and prolong the agony. Also interesting to note the change to Woll in net coincides with when Florida went back to Bobrovsky, so we would be introducing some weird Boston themes as well if we won this game.

2) Taking this to Game 6 only to lose in front of the paying home crowd would be extremely Leafy. Give you the extra 48 hours of hope only to confirm what could have been confirmed Tuesday, but also suck up some extra hockey related revenue from the local economy. Cause why not?

3) Taking this to Game 7 is the ultimate tease. If it ever got to this point, I put the likelihood of a Leafs win at infinitesimally low % but it wouldn’t have stopped any of us from BeLeafing for a few extra days.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Bertuzzi is a co-leader in Leafs playoff scoring with 3 points in 4 games and has delivered on his physicality and chaos. Whatever is not working with the Leafs is above his pay grade. If Matthews and Marner had showed up with 6-7 points in that time that would be a fine output.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Bertuzzi is a co-leader in Leafs playoff scoring with 3 points in 4 games and has delivered on his physicality and chaos. Whatever is not working with the Leafs is above his pay grade. If Matthews and Marner had showed up with 6-7 points in that time that would be a fine output.

There are a LOT of things not working. Bertuzzi is quite easily among them.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There are a lot of things not working. Bertuzzi is among them.

Honestly, what do you need Bertuzzi to be doing in isolation? Do Matthews job and drag him to productivity? What else do you need, him to kill penalties for Mitch? Score all the goals missing from Nylander being out? Lead for John Tavares? Stop shots for Samsonov? Within the scope of what he’s brought here to do, at his salary. He’s pretty much doing it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Honestly, what do you need Bertuzzi to be doing in isolation? Do Matthews job and drag him to productivity? What else do you need, him to kill penalties for Mitch? Score all the goals missing from Nylander being out? Lead for John Tavares? Stop shots for Samsonov? Within the scope of what he’s brought here to do, at his salary. He’s pretty much doing it.

Stop getting scored on would be one, two would be stop getting embarrassed by Marchand, and finally, stop turning the puck over, other than that, decent play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews has been our best player IMO and it's not really close

Matthews has also not nearly been good enough in that role as evidenced by being down 3-1, outscored by a Jake DeBrusk, so it doesn’t matter. Only he and the Leafs know how much health is an issue.

We all know what superstar led success looks like. And it’s not life and death to score 3 goals, dead on the PP, and a fraction of the offensive output as in the regular season.

Reactions: myleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad