Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Call me crazy but maybe, just maybe, the 2 guys that have excelled with Matthews and been great at 5 on 5, should be playing with him on the powerplay, when the PP is at 9% ? I dunno though i'm just an average dude, but I feel like that would be a logical move, when the special teams are struggling this bad, just maybe, put 3 guys out there who have proven to have great chemistry ?

Matthews, Domi, Bert are playing very well 5 on 5, why not try them on PP1 when it's been complete dog shit so far ? Am i nuts ? Yes, but am I nuts for suggesting this ?
50/50 time with them and Marners line? What do you do for the D?

The Leafs have outplayed Boston for most of the series, including last night's game. As that trend continues, I expect the goals to come for the Leafs, especially with Nylander back in the lineup.
Pretty even last night, maybe slight edge to the B's and that's with us having substantially more PP time

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Might as well completely revamp the pp before Saturday. Betting on the current status quo to suddenly change doesn't seem like a great bet
They need to prioritize screens and bodies in front of Swayman. I wouldn't even rule out Reaves on the PP to just plant himself there and make life difficult for Swayman. Sounds crazy but what is currently going on isn't working.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They need to prioritize screens and bodies in front of Swayman. I wouldn't even rule out Reaves on the PP to just plant himself there and make life difficult for Swayman. Sounds crazy but what is currently going on isn't working.
Boston put Chara in front of Reimer in game 7 2013, scored 2 goals because no one was strong enough to move him

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The Leafs have outplayed Boston for most of the series, including last night's game. As that trend continues, I expect the goals to come for the Leafs, especially with Nylander back in the lineup.
It’s not a foreign concept that outplaying a team does not equal winning the series. We’ve done it a few times now.

Last game was lost on stupid mistakes by the goalie and team, and by the failure of the pp. both things have held true when nylander has been here too

Last time we scored over 3 was the 4-1 comeback against tampa. Game 2 it took a heroic performance by Matthews for us to get to exactly 3

This team struggles to score come playoff time and adding nylander back won’t change that, not when the pp sucks, you shoot straight at the goalie, the other two 11m dollar men struggle to do anything and your third line has 2 guys who forget how to play hockey in the ozone.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It’s not a foreign concept that outplaying a team does not equal winning the series. We’ve done it a few times now.

Last game was lost on stupid mistakes by the goalie and team, and by the failure of the pp. both things have held true when nylander has been here too

Last time we scored over 3 was the 4-1 comeback against tampa. Game 2 it took a heroic performance by Matthews for us to get to exactly 3

This team struggles to score come playoff time and adding nylander back won’t change that, not when the pp sucks, you shoot straight at the goalie, the other two 11m dollar men struggle to do anything and your third line has 2 guys who forget how to play hockey in the ozone.
I think you are exaggerating the issues, which is generally what happens here after a loss (and the opposite happens after a win).

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yes, and it’s very sad. Boston has lost Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Rask, and they are still somehow better than Toronto. Very sad.
Its more funny than sad at this point

2020 and 2021 losses were sad (CBJ and Habs lool)

2024 losing the bruins is just a joke thst you cant help but laugh at

The bruins are medicore. We still cant finish, still cant kill penalties and still have marner looking like he isnt paid enough to go hard against them

The leafs find ways to lose. They are letting swayman get to them and letting the bruins control the special teams game

WE play such a shitty conservative PK style. Sit back and let the bruins have the zone, dont pressure the pt to tight, poor clearing angles when we get the puck etc

This team is just not serious about beating the bruins. They seem fine with a tight series and another fun season to look towards.

Marner needs to show killer instinct and take over this series. He has a softer matchup, should be the best player on the ice when hes playing. Yet he looks like a hybrid of David Kampf and Calle Jarnkrok

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Its more funny than sad at this point

2020 and 2021 losses were sad (CBJ and Habs lool)

2024 losing the bruins is just a joke thst you cant help but laugh at

The bruins are medicore. We still cant finish, still cant kill penalties and still have marner looking like he isnt paid enough to go hard against them

The leafs find ways to lose. They are letting swayman get to them and letting the bruins control the special teams game

WE play such a shitty conservative PK style. Sit back and let the bruins have the zone, dont pressure the pt to tight, poor clearing angles when we get the puck etc

This team is just not serious about beating the bruins. They seem fine with a tight series and another fun season to look towards.

Marner needs to show killer instinct and take over this series. He has a softer matchup, should be the best player on the ice when hes playing. Yet he looks like a hybrid of David Kampf and Calle Jarnkrok

That’s the thing, they don’t have the killer instinct.

Reactions: hamzarocks

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah right.

Leafs got away with some shit too, like Tavares high sticking McAvoy. the only thing that makes this shit is Boston scored immediately after.

doesnt change the fact we had 5 powerplays to their three- one of ours being a dum ass play from Benoit, and we scored on none of them while Boston scored on 1 of their three (not counting the empty net).

Cant blame the refs in this game. Our team just needs an entirely new coaching staff

At this point I’m completely fine with marner walking into FA kid wilts come playoffs way too often. Gotta win Saturday or we are all but cooked. Have loved the physicality this iteration of the leafs have brought way more entertaining.
Screw that, if were gonna let him walk at least trade him for an asset or two in the off season.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Does anyone think the Leafs are going to come back and win this series?
I believe thwy have a decent chance.

I have been happy overall with their play 5v5. They 100% have shown a lot more grit, toughness and willingness to battle.

My only concern is their abysmal special teams. If they can close the gap, not even win the battle, they absolutely can win.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
What does everyone think they should do on the PP?

I would try to keep the first line together with Morgs and add Nylander if he is healthy.

If Nylander can't go, I really don't know who can jump in.

Keep Marner and Tavares together on the second unit with Knies or Robertson.

At this point maybe even put Reavea out to stand in front of the net and let McAvoy try to deal with him

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How do you have this much talent up front yet every playoffs our PP goes ice cold?
How is that even possible?
What are the coaches doing to try turning it around?

The thing is the PK isn't any better, how can we win anything with special teams this "special"
That's been bad all season, what are we doing to sort it out?
Has it improved at all?

What the hell are our coaches doing exactly?

Pinkcat

Jul 4, 2013
Yes, and it’s very sad. Boston has lost Krejci, Bergeron, Chara, Rask, and they are still somehow better than Toronto. Very sad.
They are not better but they play better. Players, coach or a combination but they are not losing because Boston has better players.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
When was the last time the Leafs won 3 of 4 vs. Bos?

It's a tough spot.
Just win 1, then we need to win 2/3, 1 game at a time. Tough spot but we have a solid chance, I still like the way most of the players competed, if Nylander is able to return we probably win 3 straight.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
If anyone sees Hayes walk into the building on Saturday, go ahead and citizens arrest him.

Call security and have him thrown into the jail cells below the rink.

He should never be allowed into the building during the playoffs ever again

Security should revoke his press clearance, and the alumni box people should send him a note that his food will be poisoned!

Unless he visits some voodoo witch-doctor and can provide video evidence to a court of law, and a jury composed of a dozen Leafs fans get the opportunity to adjudged its veracity.

He is the boogeyman for the Leafs.

• Haha
Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Still believe they will win at the end.
Beside Game 1, they are not playing bad, just careless here and there. It could had gone the other way in Game 3.
Ofcourse the big guns need to be better.
Willie coming back will be a boast as Calle just wasted too many chances in the first 3 games.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yep. Suggested this very thing a couple of weeks ago.

The only thing I can think of (besides him just being a bad coach) is that Keefe is afraid of a locker room revolt if he takes anyone (read: Tavares, Marner) off PP1.

Hasn't Tavares been off PP1?

Marner probably has the highest PPP/60 and is usually really good.

What's more likely is they are just the best on the PP but struggling now, not some random fan fiction.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Advanced stats are a betting gimmick.

what the Leafs need to do is hire a mathematician, so he can explain to them that a 6'4" goalie in the butterfly covers 100% of the bottom of the net, and when you are in the blue paint, you cannot get the puck up 16+ inches to get over his pads.
...then also explain how good angle passes across the net are, as that is Boston's bread and butter.
a goalie cannot get across the crease as fast as the puck, and defenders cant stop a player who is skating to the far post either.
However, a player standing in the Blue paint is very EASY to contain, and its damn hard to jam a puck in from 2 inches out.
and for the love of god, stop in front the net, dont skate past it all the time and then curl back, thats the reason players do start-stop drills from the moment that start hockey.
Couldn't agree more. One of the things I loved about Sundin and Andreychuk was their ability to roof the puck from close in, not to mention they were both built like a tank so they were hard to move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad