Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He started 65 percent in the D zone.

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 9.42.48 AM.png

Maybe all situations?

I don't even mean purposely sheltered, but McCabe/Benoit are doing the heavy lifting defensively.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
View attachment 858236

Maybe all situations?

I don't even mean purposely sheltered, but McCabe/Benoit are doing the heavy lifting defensively.
Probably has more to do with giving Lilj offensive zone starts, as besides Rielly he is probably the best puck mover on the back end (and Lilj has also struggled in his own zone).

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Bostons only chance to win this series is their PPs. Leafs have to avoid the retaliation penalties. Period.

Bruins have, if I count correctly, three even strength goals through two games (and an EN). I said Leafs should expect to win game 2-1 and 3-2. With their strong defense, this is quite doable against a Bruins team that just isn't as heavy as it once was. While Leafs D is heavier than it once was.

Perhaps as the series goes on they might add some breathing room in their totals, but the key is defense, patience, wear them down, find an easier path to the net, prosper.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Absolutely, and he is with Lil who is being sheltered somewhat. Reilly Boosh weren’t bad either last night imo.

I actually think he had a good game, and I largely think it is because Liljegren is paired with him that they are given more ozone draws, I don't think Edmundson is being given ozone draws because of his offense.

Was just pointing out that pretty much all stats based on chances are not favorable to him, so I can understand where people see the chances coming in and don't think he played well.

Probably has more to do with giving Lilj offensive zone starts, as besides Rielly he is probably the best puck mover on the back end (and Lilj has also struggled in his own zone).

Agreed.

-------

Another note is the 4th line is taking a lot of ozone draws too.

I think it has to do with sheltering Reaves more than anything else, but I think it also shows that the coaching staff things scoring will be hard to come by this series, and limiting mistakes is super important.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Don't underestimate better goalies either. Boston has the best 2 goalies in this series. Don't take them lightly, put in the work
Yawn. Samsonov was as good as Ullmark last night and will be as good or better than Swayman in game 3 (and then Ullmark in game 4). Goaltending won't be an issue in this series. Boston's lack of secondary scoring is what will do them in.

Reactions: arso40

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It doesn't make sense to take out Lilly now considering Keefe can now hide him at home. Can't do that in Boston.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Bostons only chance to win this series is their PPs. Leafs have to avoid the retaliation penalties. Period.

Bruins have, if I count correctly, three even strength goals through two games (and an EN). I said Leafs should expect to win game 2-1 and 3-2. With their strong defense, this is quite doable against a Bruins team that just isn't as heavy as it once was. While Leafs D is heavier than it once was.

Perhaps as the series goes on they might add some breathing room in their totals, but the key is defense, patience, wear them down, find an easier path to the net, prosper.
Tea leaves say Peeke is out for the remainder of the series w/broken finger. No confirmation yet but they called up one of their prospect D from the A most likely related to Peeke's injury. That makes them even less heavier then before.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Leafs have been the more physical team in this series. They been bullying the bruins in between the whistles which is hilarious.

Bruins fans now saying stuff like "its good because we're disciplined" but used to love this back in the day when they were doing it.

Ego cant stand they getting bullied by the leafs

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Tea leaves say Peeke is out for the remainder of the series w/broken finger. No confirmation yet but they called up one of their prospect D from the A most likely related to Peeke's injury. That makes them even less heavier then before.
Peeke (finger) will not make the trip to Toronto for Game 3 or 4 and is officially considered week-to-week, ESPN's Kristen Shilton reports Tuesday

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Peeke (finger) will not make the trip to Toronto for Game 3 or 4 and is officially considered week-to-week, ESPN's Kristen Shilton reports Tuesday
I didn't realize the guy they called up is 6'5" 211 but apparently not very good defensively.

Other than the keepers, I just don't see where the B's match up talent-wise against the Leafs. Tre has really built a deeper team this year - loving the depth.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I actually think he had a good game, and I largely think it is because Liljegren is paired with him that they are given more ozone draws, I don't think Edmundson is being given ozone draws because of his offense.

Was just pointing out that pretty much all stats based on chances are not favorable to him, so I can understand where people see the chances coming in and don't think he played well.

Agreed.

-------

Another note is the 4th line is taking a lot of ozone draws too.

I think it has to do with sheltering Reaves more than anything else, but I think it also shows that the coaching staff things scoring will be hard to come by this series, and limiting mistakes is super important.
Rielly was the one getting sheltered up until maybe the end of the second McCabe pair played with marner and lily pair played with matthews

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Leafland, where when they lose, they'll never win again, and when they win, they'll never lose again.
If you didn't follow you'd think they were down 2-0 in the series and Marner was responsible for everything.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
JM didn't lose 4 series and get out coached in all of them (including last year's Tampa series). Keefe has gotten outcoached in all of his playoff series. Columbus, MTL, Tampa x 2 and FL. That's a large body of work. This isn't anything new or "comical", if you watched those series you would know. Our special teams are not good and his line matching is horrific. Again, what makes you think Keefe is better than JM?
Simple. Anyone who was hired by Dubas is the bestest ever, because Dubas NEVER makes mistakes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad