Leafs under Rogers ownership. [Hypothetically]

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009
Just wondering if anyone thinks that the Leafs, if purchased by Rogers, would be more likely to relinquish their de facto veto over another team in the southern ontario market.
There may be 2 reasons that I can think of. As a publicly traded company with financial responsibility to the shareholders, would it be financially beneficial to take the approximate $100 million windfall they would reap from the 2nd southern ontario team (SO2), considering that it would likely not affect their profitability even with the presence of an SO2?
One of the arguments that is often brought up is that an SO2 team wouldn't affect the Leafs, but might affect the raptors. This doesn't necessarily have to be true, as scheduling can be accomodated for all 3 teams. For instance, the raptors play a lot of sunday afternoon games. If the SO2 team made sunday night their 'regular' night, then that's a good starting framework to have all 3 teams playing at different times.
The other factor is that rogers is obviously among other things a tv company, and their main reason for purchasing mlse is to have teams to feed their tv content. If they were to allow an SO2 team in the league under the condition that rogers gets the SO2 teams tv rights, then that would be another huge benefit. Thoughts?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I unfortunately dont think that should Rogers acquire MLSE we'll see any changes with respect to its posturing in denying another teams existence in the Southern Ontario marketplace. IMO, they absolutely should fight the awarding of an expansion franchise or relocation to within the GTA proper for a myriad of reasons, however, Hamilton makes sense on almost every level, and would do nothing but increase revenues short & long term for MLSE (& the Sabers). Obviously the league's more than aware of it, and regardless of whoever owns the Leafs I think its inevitable that a team will eventually wind up in The Hammer, Assuming both the Leafs & the Sabers' agree, the multi-million dollar question is how much will they receive in territorial rights fee's from the owners in Hamilton?. You mention $100M going to the Leafs. Id say thats light by a yard or more. And Buffalo?. You could well be looking at $350M+ just in indemnification fee's, never mind the premium you'd pay for the franchise be it expansion or relo. Its a pretty daunting prospect, made all the muddier by Messr's Balsillie & Rodier.

Kebekoi

Oct 3, 2006
Matane, QC
There's no veto. As told by Bettman : the new team need 50%+1 for a relocation and 75%+1 for expansion. Leafs and Sabres amount for 6.66% of the teams.

I think that the territorial fees will shut their mouths.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Just wondering if anyone thinks that the Leafs, if purchased by Rogers, would be more likely to relinquish their de facto veto over another team in the southern ontario market.
There may be 2 reasons that I can think of. As a publicly traded company with financial responsibility to the shareholders, would it be financially beneficial to take the approximate $100 million windfall they would reap from the 2nd southern ontario team (SO2), considering that it would likely not affect their profitability even with the presence of an SO2?
One of the arguments that is often brought up is that an SO2 team wouldn't affect the Leafs, but might affect the raptors. This doesn't necessarily have to be true, as scheduling can be accomodated for all 3 teams. For instance, the raptors play a lot of sunday afternoon games. If the SO2 team made sunday night their 'regular' night, then that's a good starting framework to have all 3 teams playing at different times.
The other factor is that rogers is obviously among other things a tv company, and their main reason for purchasing mlse is to have teams to feed their tv content. If they were to allow an SO2 team in the league under the condition that rogers gets the SO2 teams tv rights, then that would be another huge benefit. Thoughts?

Its one thing for them to allow another team its another thing for them to own 2 teams which i don't think the league would allow.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Ownership makes no difference. As long as any prospective party wanting to put a team in Hamilton is willing to pay the proper (whatever that is but it would be huge) territorial fees to Buffalo and Toronto then it is unstoppable. Every team in the NHL that was located in another team's juristiction has paid territorial fees. Hamilton should be no different. (heck NJD had to pay 3 teams, Rangers, Islanders and Flyers)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Its one thing for them to allow another team its another thing for them to own 2 teams which i don't think the league would allow.

Huh?. I dont read where he's suggesting they own 2 teams?. Thats' verboten, unless your names Big Jim Norris & its 1952, when he owned the Blackhawks, his daughter & son the Wings, lent enough money to the Bruins to pretty much own them & call the shots; managed & ran MSG & fronted the Rangers enough cash to be defacto owner. 4 of 6 teams controlled by one guy.... And you know what wjhl?. Its debatable as to whether or not MLSE actually does own an NHL team at the moment. :naughty::laugh:

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
I unfortunately dont think that should Rogers acquire MLSE we'll see any changes with respect to its posturing in denying another teams existence in the Southern Ontario marketplace. IMO, they absolutely should fight the awarding of an expansion franchise or relocation to within the GTA proper for a myriad of reasons, however, Hamilton makes sense on almost every level, and would do nothing but increase revenues short & long term for MLSE (& the Sabres). Obviously the league's more than aware of it, and regardless of whoever owns the Leafs I think its inevitable that a team will eventually wind up in The Hammer, Assuming both the Leafs & the Sabres' agree, the multi-million dollar question is how much will they receive in territorial rights fee's from the owners in Hamilton?. You mention $100M going to the Leafs. Id say thats light by a yard or more. And Buffalo?. You could well be looking at $350M+ just in indemnification fee's, never mind the premium you'd pay for the franchise be it expansion or relo. Its a pretty daunting prospect, made all the muddier by Messr's Balsillie & Rodier.
whatsss up!!
uhh when you say Hamilton do you mean the city that can't figure out where to put a simple TiCat/PanAm stadium.. couldn't imagine the gong show that is aka the City Council if a team ever came here..
they should just turn Old Copps into a Euro sized arena (assuming Bulldogs are splitting) host a bunch of tourneys, some other Countries would probably like the chance to play on a bigger rink in the WJ's..just a though

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Ryan the ticats lose money. IMO its not wise to throw away tax money on an asset that has lost money for 25 years.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
whatsss up!!
uhh when you say Hamilton do you mean the city that can't figure out where to put a simple TiCat/PanAm stadium.. couldn't imagine the gong show that is aka the City Council if a team ever came here..
they should just turn Old Copps into a Euro sized arena (assuming Bulldogs are splitting) host a bunch of tourneys, some other Countries would probably like the chance to play on a bigger rink in the WJ's..just a though

Sure they may host the odd tournemant now and then but they would not likely get a whole bunch.Don't forget there are other big ice rinks around that are not used as they should be.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Ryan the ticats lose money. IMO its not wise to throw away tax money on an asset that has lost money for 25 years.
not that i want to hijack this thread but in a 90 year old Stadium yes they lose $.. besides the "tax" money (basically a gift) being offered up is going to be spent regardless.. whether here or in another city..
Hamilton is also throwing in its Future funds.. which to my knowlegde was not a burden on the tax payers..

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
not that i want to hijack this thread but in a 90 year old Stadium yes they lose $.. besides the "tax" money (basically a gift) being offered up is going to be spent regardless.. whether here or in another city..
Hamilton is also throwing in its Future funds.. which to my knowlegde was not a burden on the tax payers..

Yes the money is going to be spent is spending it on a arena or stadium the best way to go at this point no.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Sure they may host the odd tournemant now and then but they would not likely get a whole bunch.Don't forget there are other big ice rinks around that are not used as they should be.
a little is better than being empty.. lol
NHL size? i only suggested Copps because the only nhl sized arena i know that basically empty

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
can't spend the money on anything else if you are refering to the Hostco $ being offered to Hamilton

If your just talking about the money from the gov yes and no while yes they have the money but it for the most part is not there to do as they please.More times then not the are conditions tied to the money meaning you can't apply to the gov and get funding for one project then cancel that project and keep the money you would have to give the cash back.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
If your just talking about the money from the gov yes and no while yes they have the money but it for the most part is not there to do as they please.More times then not the are conditions tied to the money meaning you can't apply to the gov and get funding for one project then cancel that project and keep the money you would have to give the cash back.
sorry i am not following..

the money being offered from Hostco for a Pan am Stadium.. must be spent on a stadium.. and must have a Legacy tenant ie the Tigercats.

the Future Funds which is basically in an account already does have some limitations to what it can be used for.. but a stadium does fall within those limits..

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
hostco did say it is not about the ticats twice in a interview with raise the hammer.

Panam stadium does not have to have a legacy tenant. Just a legacy. Like high school sports.

Which is why Hamilton will approve a 6k stadium and get it funded by hostco. Ticats will attept to build a stadium in aldershot without tax money.
http://www.raisethehammer.org/

It's not about providing a stadium for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. If that's part of a solution, terrific, but that's not our mandate

Ian Troop from his mouth.

Last edited:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Rogers will own the sports market. Hard to say when they will replace the Rogers centre.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

Did anybody else immediately think of Glendale when they first read this? Small city that is trying to create a sports district?

Obviously there are some very important differences though.

a little is better than being empty.. lol
NHL size? i only suggested Copps because the only nhl sized arena i know that basically empty

MTS Centre?
Sprint Center?

Rogers will own the sports market. Hard to say when they will replace the Rogers centre.

Don't get your hopes up. Every time that question has come up, Rogers has shut it down. They are very happy with the Skydome because it can host events a regular baseball park can't and can do it year-round. Not to mention it is in the perfect location.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
hostco did say it is not about the ticats twice in a interview with raise the hammer.

Panam stadium does not have to have a legacy tenant. Just a legacy. Like high school sports.

Which is why Hamilton will approve a 6k stadium and get it funded by hostco. Ticats will attept to build a stadium in aldershot without tax money.
http://www.raisethehammer.org/

Ian Troop from his mouth.
just a point or 2 raisethehammer is not exactly a trusted source.. they've been known to make a few things up
and if this is legit..its the very first i've heard Troop say that, maybe they've changed their position being so close to deadline.. Feb 1st

as far Aldershot, love the site.. works great for everyone. hopefully they can get done in 2 weeks what Hamilton couldnt do in 2 years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad