Rumor: Leafs to sign Zack MacEwen of the Gatineau Olympiques? NOPE Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
An overage junior turning 21 playing in the Q. Cannot see him as top 6 in AHL.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
As a Leaf fan living in Gatineau, I go to quite a few Olympique games over the course of the year. I've seen a couple games lately and MacEwen is definately one of Gatineau's top 3 players.

Qualities:

Tireless motor,decent passer, has a laser of a wrist shot,good hands and decent defensively.

Things he needs to work on:

Get stronger on the puck because he's too easily knocked off despite his size

Skates himself quite often out of trouble but wouldnt need to if he was in better position to start off

Sometimes tries to dangle through the entire team(aka gets too cute) and altough he has pretty decent hands,it creates turnovers for Gatineau.

All in all, I see him more as a AHL player with a ceiling of being a 4th liner with offensive upside

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
If we sign him, does it go against our # of contracts? Could it be that we aren't signing him just because we want to keep our # contracts down...But a verbal agreement has been agreed upon?

Although..i'm pretty sure he wouldn't unless he was in the ahl.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
If we sign him, does it go against our # of contracts? Could it be that we aren't signing him just because we want to keep our # contracts down...But a verbal agreement has been agreed upon?

Although..i'm pretty sure he wouldn't unless he was in the ahl.

They'd likely sign him a 2017-18 contract.

Though, it's gotta me questioning... if they signed him to a 2016-17 contract now, and kept him in the junior for the remainder of the season, would it still count as an ELC slide, or are we past the deadline for that? I can't find it in the CBA...

Pholus

May 23, 2014
They'd likely sign him a 2017-18 contract.

Though, it's gotta me questioning... if they signed him to a 2016-17 contract now, and kept him in the junior for the remainder of the season, would it still count as an ELC slide, or are we past the deadline for that? I can't find it in the CBA...

It would not slide, he's too old for that rule to apply.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have tried all day to find out if the rumor has any truth to it and no luck.

I can not see us wasting a contract spot on him at this point in the year....if anything we wait until a NHL player is available.

His point totals are not really all that impressive as to put it in prospective Jack Rodewald put up 85 points in his overage year for Moose Jaw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad