Rumor: Leafs to sign Zack MacEwen of the Gatineau Olympiques? NOPE Canucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

It was rumoured we were interested. Looks like it's official. EDIT: The tweet was deleted, so perhaps it's not quite confirmed yet?

6'4" center. Very late bloomer and a current overager. Not a great skater but lot's of truculence and decent skill level.

EDIT2: Reporter clarified his tweet. Essentially saying that nothing is confirmed yet. Leafs and other teams have interest in signing him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
if we did sign this guy does he have to sign an ELC? if so can we go straight AHL deal?. Also since he wasn't drafted could he decide to leave the CHL and join the marlies on a AHL deal?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Pretty good player. Hope we got him and that he loses that ridiculous candy cane tape job!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Probably not as good of a skater but a heck of a lot more physical. Maybe not quite as refined defensively?

I would imagine he'll battle time with Toninato (who I expect will get an AHL deal) next season for the fourth line centre role on the Marlies

if the marlies stay as weak at C as they are this year they will probably both get 4th line C and W roles and alternate. I guess brooks will come to the marlies too so if he sticks at C he will be one of them.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Sign enough undrafted FA's and you'll eventually find a player.

But with what we have coming, this is an AHL signing. Should be good pro depth for the next few years.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Evidently, he also plays RW but I think we are trying to beef up the Marlies because they will be facing a lot of Knuckledraggers when they go for the Cup.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
if the marlies stay as weak at C as they are this year they will probably both get 4th line C and W roles and alternate. I guess brooks will come to the marlies too so if he sticks at C he will be one of them.

He'll also add some size and toughness. A good add for the Marlies IMO with a long shot he'll become more.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Having seen both, he isn't quite like Gauthier. Gauthier was already one step ahead of everyone in terms of defensive consciousness at 17. MacEwen isn't at 20. But he'll have to play like Gauthier to make the NHL.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Looking at stats he was good in his draft year, surprised he didn't get picked. Then he had a tough D+1 but not bad, and is doing pretty good again this year. Might as well give him a shot.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
This is huge for me. He played for our local JrA team in Amherst N.S. when he was 17 and 18. Could never understand why he wasn't drafted in the Q. You could see his offensive talents as a17 yr old. (Future scoring champ) As an 18 he was an absolute beast. One of the best players in the league. Got a few games in Moncton as a free agent and I knew he would never be back. He's got great size. He is a good skater. Elite actually at the JrA level. Great hands. Wicked wrister. Tough as nails just as most Island boys are.

Now I understand there is a huge difference between JrA and AHL and NHL, so there's no need to destroy my post. I know he's probably AHL bound and may never even see much there.

If you are comparing him to Gauthier I would say he has better offensive talent by far. Tougher. And he has a great engine.

OK guys have at'er. Flame away but this guy is my dark horse to play in the NHL someday. And even the negative comments won't bring me down from this high.:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad