Leafs so lucky to have this supporting cast

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Hainsey, Brown, Hyman, Marleau.. The stars are great and all but these guys are probably as good as you can get to back them up.

Ron Hainsey- What other team has a 37 year old making less than 2.5 a year playing on the top line/top PK and still have a +22 and while fitting so well with Reilly that Reilly is arguably having the best season of any defensemen in the league this year. I'm not making this stuff up he is literallly being used as a top 2 defensemen... +22!!!

Connor Brown- So lucky to have a 4/3rd line player that can literally play any line, pk/pp and actually score 20 goals in a season

Patrick Marleau- Needless to say, one of the best leaders in the game, hall of famer, former captain, mentor and still can put up 50 points in a season. Leadership, calmness, poise.

Zach Hyman- Best forechecker/puck retriever in the league, I cant count how many times this guy completely wears out the other team until one of our goal scorers swoops in and scores against a completely exhausted opponent. It makes Mathews, Marner, Tavares life so easier deking out an out-of-breath defencemen they must absolutely love this guy.

I almost can't believe how lucky leafs are to manage to have these 4 players while also having the deepest core in the league. These guys make life so much easier for Mathews/Reilly/Marner I think these players are among the best supporting cast you could get in the NHL right now.

Reactions: mulefarm

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hainsey is BRUTAL.
Marleau is a shadow of what he was even last year.
Agreed on Hyman, he just should be on the 3rd line. Brown has been turned into a grinder by Babcock. He' splaying different than as a rookie.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
marleau isn't worth his contract as all he brings is character, hainsey is exactly what roman polak was last year without the muscle and crushing hits here and there but a character guy. Brown sucks. Hyman is good

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dont mind 3 of them. Im sure Marleau and Hainsey bring things we don't necessarily see on the ice (alongside what they bring on the ice), and Hyman is underrated.

However, its hard to see what Connor Brown brings to the line up that others can't (for less cap hit), since his goal against Pittsburgh 2 years ago.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Hainsey has been a fine stopgap with Rielly facing some of the toughest minutes at EV and PK, he's pretty much served his purpose though and most likely won't be on the team next year.

Brown was a decent find in the 6th round in 2012. I'm rooting for him to find that offensive game again but he's been molded into a PK, matchup guy. If he's the odd man out to save some cap or is overtaken by other depth players it wouldn't surprise me at all. I much prefer Hyman for the same sort of tasks.

Marleau was overpaid to take on a leadership role but I'm glad he's helped the young group on and off the ice. He's not long for this team as I think he's also served his purpose.

If Hyman is pushed down to the 3rd line that would make me very excited about our group cause that means there's effective players putting him there. I think he'll be a cheap player to keep and think he'd be a good vet for this team in the future, doing all the dirty work that's asked of him. He's got good bang for your buck with his contract.

I think the supporting cast can get even better with adjusted salaries replacing some of these guys. Either internally or from another team.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
I am looking forward to Connor Brown scoring 20 goals one day again. Hopefully for some other team cuz by then he's long since been traded from ours.

Reactions: AreBe

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Also to add, literally ALL of them can be easily replace internally with better options. Take Hyman out of the top 6 and put him in the bottom. Have Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson and Marner as your four top 6 wingers. Hainsey is a corpse being carried by Rielly. Marleau has lost any semblance of hockey IQ. Connor Brown is a black hole offensively.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Brown is not capable of 20 goals. He shot nearly 15% in his rookie season and 11% last year in his 14 goal season (which is still a bit high). Shooting 6.7% this year for a 6 goal pace. I'd say he can be a 10-12 goal guy regularly.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Can't help but feel like Connor brown gets way too much criticism on here. He showed offensive skill in every level leading up to and including the NHL.

Like others have mentioned, Babcock has groomed him to be a PK/matchup guy with more of a grinder style. He wants him to be Hyman.

This leads him to making the safe play now instead of trying to create which usually means dumping the puck in. He isn't able to win battles or create space for linemates like Hyman... Which makes it seem pretty pointless. I think this is more a Babcock system issue people have than Connor Brown

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Hyman epitomizes being the Leaf. Hardest worker and Babs likes him for captain. Magic and Matthews owe him a ton of gratitude. He makes them better.

Tic.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I am looking forward to Connor Brown scoring 20 goals one day again. Hopefully for some other team cuz by then he's long since been traded from ours.
You know as soon as he is traded, he will become the new Alex Steen. Lol typical Leaf scenario.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Brown is not capable of 20 goals. He shot nearly 15% in his rookie season and 11% last year in his 14 goal season (which is still a bit high). Shooting 6.7% this year for a 6 goal pace. I'd say he can be a 10-12 goal guy regularly.

The year he got 20 he was consistently with Kadri and Komarov as the 3rd line. Even a bit of time with Matthews when Babcock flipped him with Nylander.

I would say just a 6 goal drop for a player used a quite a bit on the 4th line isn't that bad really. This season, still on the 4th line with a 39% ozs.

His role changed when Marleau was signed and the way he's used now isn't really the way to utilize a player if you want him to get 20 or so goals.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Huh. You are more intelligent than the entirety of the Leafs front office? Why aren't you working in the NHL then?
the front office is about to replace them with internal options, and the Leafs will not miss them. it's not like Marleau is going anywhere now though

Reactions: AreBe

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I don't mind Hainsey at all. He's gone after this year but given how well his partner is doing, hardly a negative. He had a tough start, but Hainsey has been fine overall.

Marleau is what it is.

Hyman is great at what he does.

Brown better of late, particularly on the PK. Still has abysmal hands, looks like a permanent conditon. 4th line a good player.

Reactions: Zybalto

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hainsey, Brown, Hyman, Marleau.. The stars are great and all but these guys are probably as good as you can get to back them up.

Ron Hainsey- What other team has a 37 year old making less than 2.5 a year playing on the top line/top PK and still have a +22 and while fitting so well with Reilly that Reilly is arguably having the best season of any defensemen in the league this year. I'm not making this stuff up he is literallly being used as a top 2 defensemen... +22!!!

Connor Brown- So lucky to have a 4/3rd line player that can literally play any line, pk/pp and actually score 20 goals in a season

Patrick Marleau- Needless to say, one of the best leaders in the game, hall of famer, former captain, mentor and still can put up 50 points in a season. Leadership, calmness, poise.

Zach Hyman- Best forechecker/puck retriever in the league, I cant count how many times this guy completely wears out the other team until one of our goal scorers swoops in and scores against a completely exhausted opponent. It makes Mathews, Marner, Tavares life so easier deking out an out-of-breath defencemen they must absolutely love this guy.

I almost can't believe how lucky leafs are to manage to have these 4 players while also having the deepest core in the league. These guys make life so much easier for Mathews/Reilly/Marner I think these players are among the best supporting cast you could get in the NHL right now.
All four would be nice on bottom pairing roles. Not as the main pieces. Leafs are still building so expect another huge turnover again this summer (Marleau, Ennis, Gards, Brown, Hainsey, Marincin, Holl, Sparks)

19/20
LW
Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Kadri Kapanen
Moore Goat Lindholm

Rielly Myers
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen Oz

Andersen
Hutchinson

The following summer (20/21) he works on removing Zaitsev/contract and making room for Sandin & Lilly.

Rielly Myers
Dermott Lilly
Sandin Rosen/Oz

Piece by piece they'll get there without sacrificing high level prospects/picks that shortcut the process that will screw this teams long term future.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why? They are not wrong. Most of these guys are dime a dozen players that don't really move the needle. You have your core guys signed long term and play carousel with the rest.

Just get tired of listening to terms like corpse, black hole, guy in the top 30 goal scorers of all time having no IQ.

Not everyone can have the skill of a Marner or Matthews, or the speed of a Kapanen, but I'd argue they do as much or more with the tools they have than some of our skilled guys.

Are these guys replaceable? Of course.

I just fail to see the need for posters to continually disparage members of "their team" because they don't possess the skill level of a top 10 draft pick.

I believe you will consider my points even if you don't agree, but IMO the other poster is always going to negative and insulting. That is why I started to respond and decided it wasn't worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad