Status
Not open for further replies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
May 2016 update:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-sign-russian-defenceman-nikita-zaitsev/

Mike Johnston May 2, 2016, 1:44 PM
The Toronto Maple Leafs signed Russian defenceman Nikita Zaitsev to a one-year, entry-level contract, the team announced Monday.

http://www.tsn.ca/cska-gm-fedorov-says-zaitsev-will-join-leafs-1.471254
NHL
TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Apr 13

CSKA GM Fedorov says Zaitsev will join Leafs
TSN.ca Staff

CSKA Moscow general manager Sergei Fedorov says Nikita Zaitsev is bound for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and that the KHL defenceman has had a deal in place since last year.

Fedorov reportedly made the announcement to reporters on Wednesday. CSKA Moscow is currently tied 2-2 after four games in the Gagarin Cup Final of the KHL playoffs.

According to Friedman. Was always expected but now it sounds like it is a lot closer than before.

UPDATE:

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I don't know about anyone else but this post keeps resurfacing and the title is driving me crazy!

Everytime it bumps I think he signed!

Can we change the title from "to sign ELC with Leafs" to "Nope - not yet!"

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
But you are ok if a NA reporter says it?

First off there could be information lost in translation. Second, add in the circus like dynamic that surrounds players that are thought to be leaving the KHL for NA and it's tough to lay things out in concrete. For the record, I don't think anyone 100% believes NA reporters either. There's broken telephone. There's the reporter's creative freedom. Lots of things play into it. Best to just lay back and wait for something to be confirmed.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
First off there could be information lost in translation. Second, add in the circus like dynamic that surrounds players that are thought to be leaving the KHL for NA and it's tough to lay things out in concrete. For the record, I don't think anyone 100% believes NA reporters either. There's broken telephone. There's the reporter's creative freedom. Lots of things play into it. Best to just lay back and wait for something to be confirmed.

Well, there are rumblings coming from many different sources and i don't believe those other folks are just gleaning off of the russian that was posted here.

There is a ton of smoke here from many different fires.

I'm putting this one as close to a lock as one can get, before calling it a true lock:nod:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He should be signing soon, if all the rumors are true

He's still in the KHL championship. Game 6 is Sunday, with CSKA down 3-2.

Even after that, it's likely he needs to wait until his contract actually expires, which is sometime around May 15th if I believe.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If Federov was wrong about him coming here, don't you think Zaitsev would deny the latest comment? I think he would, so lets consider him booked. Not so in the case of Stamkos, I don't think he is necessarily booked at all.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I don't know about anyone else but this post keeps resurfacing and the title is driving me crazy!

Everytime it bumps I think he signed!

Can we change the title from "to sign ELC with Leafs" to "Nope - not yet!"

Heyyyyy!!!! Thanks for changing the title - I appreciate it.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
been hearing this for months... we get it.. he's probably signing with Toronto but can we just wait till he signs before posting this all the time?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
been hearing this for months... we get it.. he's probably signing with Toronto but can we just wait till he signs before posting this all the time?

It's a continuation of the other thread, which reached the post limit.

Why shouldn't there be a thread to discuss a heavily rumoured Leaf acquisition?

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/cska-gm-fedorov-says-zaitsev-will-join-leafs-1.471254

According to Friedman. Was always expected but now it sounds like it is a lot closer than before.

This is from January. Freidman is HEARING that Zatsiev is TELLING teams his intention...

Wasn't Zatsiev's quote where he denied knowing anything, AFTER this tweet.

I think he'll sign in Toronto but what Friedman said means nothing to me. Wasn't he the one driving rumours that Kadri might be traded to St Louis at the trade deadline? There was no indication that 2 teams even talked. Get those clicks buddy!

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
If his skill tranlates well into the NHL and is a top 4D would it be the first time since before the first lockout and have 4D that are top 4 D on pretty much any good team?

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
This is from January. Freidman is HEARING that Zatsiev is TELLING teams his intention...

Wasn't Zatsiev's quote where he denied knowing anything, AFTER this tweet.

I think he'll sign in Toronto but what Friedman said means nothing to me. Wasn't he the one driving rumours that Kadri might be traded to St Louis at the trade deadline? There was no indication that 2 teams even talked. Get those clicks buddy!
The post was from January too

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
If his skill tranlates well into the NHL and is a top 4D would it be the first time since before the first lockout and have 4D that are top 4 D on pretty much any good team?

IMO, he should be 3rd pairing with Valiev. I also expect him to get PP minutes.

I feel very good about the 2nd pairing of Gardiner/Carrick, to start next season. I thought they were great together.

Of course, Valiev will most likely start next year with the Marlies because of numbers/waiver considerations but Zatsiev should still be 3rd pairing. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll get low minutes but it wouldn't hurt to ease him in.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
IMO, he should be 3rd pairing with Valiev. I also expect him to get PP minutes.

I feel very good about the 2nd pairing of Gardiner/Carrick, to start next season. I thought they were great together.

Of course, Valiev will most likely start next year with the Marlies because of numbers/waiver considerations but Zatsiev should still be 3rd pairing. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll get low minutes but it wouldn't hurt to ease him in.

I get and agree with what you are saying, but at the same time not counting what line they play on but, more to their ability because of chemistry with another player but more to the actual number of top 4 d men on this team.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I get and agree with what you are saying, but at the same time not counting what line they play on but, more to their ability because of chemistry with another player but more to the actual number of top 4 d men on this team.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant but I just decided to give my view on where he should be in the lineup because I wanted attention.:laugh:

I'm going to keep pushing the Gardiner/Carrick narrative until the season starts in the off chance that Babcock reads HF Boards and it gets ingrained in his mind.:naughty:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yeah, I figured that's what you meant but I just decided to give my view on where he should be in the lineup because I wanted attention.:laugh:

I'm going to keep pushing the Gardiner/Carrick narrative until the season starts in the off chance that Babcock reads HF Boards and it gets ingrained in his mind.:naughty:

FINE

you can have your gards carrick

if i get my

Rielly--Zaitsev:naughty:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
FINE

you can have your gards carrick

if i get my

Rielly--Zaitsev:naughty:

I honestly wouldn't mind that at all. Could definitely be the first PP.

The only problem is that I think Marinicin will get re-upped (even though I don't really care for him, I have to admit, he has earned a 2nd look) and I'm not sure I trust him enough to play with anybody but Rielly. That last game of the season, when Campbell was hurt, and Marincin was away from Morgan, was not pretty.

Yes, ideally I would love:

Rielly-Zatsiev
Gardiner-Carrick

Perhaps the Leafs can pull a Nashville and play those four, 667467483 minutes and give the other 2 limited time.:D

On a side note, I love that any Leaf player I type, after the 4th letter, my iPad know who I'm talking about.:)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I honestly wouldn't mind that at all. Could definitely be the first PP.

The only problem is that I think Marinicin will get re-upped (even though I don't really care for him, I have to admit, he has earned a 2nd look) and I'm not sure I trust him enough to play with anybody but Rielly. That last game of the season, when Campbell was hurt, and Marincin was away from Morgan, was not pretty.

Yes, ideally I would love:

Rielly-Zatsiev
Gardiner-Carrick

Perhaps the Leafs can pull a Nashville and play those four, 667467483 minutes and give the other 2 limited time.:D

On a side note, I love that any Leaf player I type, after the 4th letter, my iPad know who I'm talking about.:)

well your not gonna like what i have to say next

i like the idea of Gards--Carrado

Marincin--Carrick

it's a better balance of speed and size IMO

i'm not saying carrado is better then carrick

i'm more saying marincin needs carrick more then gards does.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He should be a close lock to being a top four guy - he's not some raw rookie, a lot further along in his development than most seem to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad