Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Nikita Gusev to a PTO - Released October 6ish

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hes to shit defensively to play top 6.
the only way i see this working out if we decided to play a ludicrously offensive 4th line gusev, brooks, and spezza ... all offense and no defense .
might be fun to watch but holy cow that will be cringe educing most nights.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
wow didn't realize he was that smurfy , Dubas just can't himself lol

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he makes it who's spot does he take? Leafs have A LOT of NHL caliber or close to NHL caliber forwards

Leafslet

Oct 19, 2011
TO
i dont think this type of player is going to work with JT & willy.

i'd rather pass. *maybe* you can put him with matthews, but iunno, he certainly can't go in the bottom 6.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If they can sign him and stash him on the Marlies until someone on the big club gets injured or disappoints then this would be a good signing.

I don't think they should sign him at the expense of one of the top-12 forwards. But, he could wiggle his way in there like Galchenyuk did last season.

Reactions: geo25 and jaric1862

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This guy reminds me of Alexander Semin but not as skilled. Not sure I see the fit on our team tbh. But will be fun to watch in the preseason at least. Who knows. Guy is f***ing good at hockey, just not sure we need that soft skill. But he could easily put the puck in the net in the right setting. Would have to think he is a top 6bplayer or he won’t make the team. Doesn’t exactly scream role player to me. I’m intrigued for sure

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If he's up for it, I would totally sign him for a little over the league min, try to stash him with the Marlies, and have him first in line for Top 6 spot duty - essentially a higher-floor Petan/Aberg type of player.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If he's up for it, I would totally sign him for a little over the league min, try to stash him with the Marlies, and have him first in line for Top 6 spot duty - essentially a higher-floor Petan/Aberg type of player.

I imagine he would just go back to the KHL at that point. He can probably make 1.5-2 mill in the KHL, since he was the top scorer for many years.

Reactions: Ciao

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This guy reminds me of Alexander Semin but not as skilled. Not sure I see the fit on our team tbh. But will be fun to watch in the preseason at least. Who knows. Guy is f***ing good at hockey, just not sure we need that soft skill. But he could easily put the puck in the net in the right setting. Would have to think he is a top 6bplayer or he won’t make the team. Doesn’t exactly scream role player to me. I’m intrigued for sure

Gusev is nothing like Semin.

Semin was a great skater and goalscorer, couldn't be intimidated physically, was underrated defensively, but motivation was always an issue. He also had a grump of a personality.

Gusev is small sized playmaker, mediocre skater, who is not very physical. Defensively he can be hit or miss. Didn’t play much defense in KHL, but was at least adequate when he got situated in New Jersey in the later stages of his rookie year. Not sure what went on in Florida.
He’s a super talented player (his vision is awesome), but he comes with many holes. I imagine any success will be strongly predicated on who he plays with.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I guess the hope here would be that he would be the type of skilled guy like Namestikov at the NHL level where he can leach off elite players to pad his stats while also getting them the puck enough to make it all work.

He had some wicked chemistry with Jesper Bratt his first year here but has really struggled since.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Waiting it hear he spent the summer working out with Vegas, doesn't make the squad out of camp but works on the Marlies and enters towards the end of the season. And than were all suddenly surprised at his hustle and commitment to d while contributing in limited minutes. Than he'll try and sing an above min contract in the offseason not to get offers and the leafs move to their next project.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If we don’t sign him, chances are other teams will be watching and will. Pretty shrewd to get a PTO with TO with all the media focus.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Interesting, but not expecting anything from it.

We are flush with these kinds of players. In my mind, just a bunch of mix and match parts, with a whole lot of hoping to be surprised.

At minimum Soup now has a Russian speaking team-mate to moan and groan to......

Reactions: Ciao

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What I enjoy, is it feels we have a bit more competition up front this year.

Kase, Ritchie, Bunting, Gusev all coming in and fighting for spots in the lineup, including top 6 spots, helps provide competition for Nick Robertson.

Reactions: Menzinger and Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad