Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Matt Hunwick (2 years, $1.2M AAV)

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Second best...Gardiner has been better.

Love the Hunwick-Rielly pairing though...Rielly finally has a stable skating defenseman on his pairing.

That's the only reason why he's playing so much. He can be Rielly's Bozak. He doesn't deserve to be a top 4 based on his defensive abilities (he's barely NHL in that area), but he does help Rielly and move the puck out. Better than putting Harrington or even Marincin up there I guess since Polak has played well in the role he's been given.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Dermott Rielly
Gardiner
Hunwick Granberg
Corrado

^The Shanaplan = Drafting and developing + finding hidden gems.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What a signing, he has been lights out. Tremendous skater who thinks the game well and does what it takes to win. Babcock seems to adore him.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
That's the only reason why he's playing so much. He can be Rielly's Bozak. He doesn't deserve to be a top 4 based on his defensive abilities (he's barely NHL in that area), but he does help Rielly and move the puck out. Better than putting Harrington or even Marincin up there I guess since Polak has played well in the role he's been given.

Did you watch the Sabres game last night? He was our best D I thought.Mind you, not Rielly's strongest game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do we get a first for him at the trade deadline then?

He won't be traded anytime soon I would think but his value is definitely fairly high right now.

Let's see how he performs long-term though.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
If these are the signings we make I'm going to be one happy dude. I'll be the first to admit that initially I was iffy on this signing. Boy, has Hunwick been absolutely amazing. Guy is s(l)ick.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I have been thoroughly impressed with Hunwick. Wither it be with Dion or Rielly, he just looks great out there.

Maybe it's the skating system playing to his strengths, whereas a guy like Polak looks next to useless right now.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I have been thoroughly impressed with Hunwick. Wither it be with Dion or Rielly, he just looks great out there.

Maybe it's the skating system playing to his strengths, whereas a guy like Polak looks next to useless right now.

Yeah, I think that's the case.

Hunwick has really adapted to the system because he's such a smooth skater and you see him jumping in on plays almost every rush.

And I would agree that the system isn't favourable for Polak because his strengths are more get in the corners and battle instead of the 1 touch passes and you're out of the zone.

Hunwick has been one of the best defencemen on the team in the early season. Really smart signing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

No question Hunwick has been impressive so far in his Leafs tenure and seems to be a real favourite of Babcock based on his consistent and smart decision making.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hunwick has pretty much exceeded my expectations and it's pretty early.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I thought we had the next Ranger/Berg on our hands during pre-season but I am very pleasantly surprised with ol' numero dos. One of the biggest problems I often see with defensemen is that their brain will know where to go but their legs can't keep up (Robidas) or their brains will have no idea where to go but they'll skate circles everywhere (a young Gardiner.) Fortunately Hunwick is able to skate with pretty much all attacking forwards that we've seen and positionally he's done everything you can ask for.

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
So if Hunwick keeps up his play leading up to the trade deadline. Do you guys see management trading him for a high draft pick or keep him to help mentor/insulate the young guys who will be coming up through the ranks over the next year or 2? I see positives and negatives to both.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012
So if Hunwick keeps up his play leading up to the trade deadline. Do you guys see management trading him for a high draft pick or keep him to help mentor/insulate the young guys who will be coming up through the ranks over the next year or 2? I see positives and negatives to both.

No Hunwick was a Babcock request. We're not sending him away prematurely without Babcock's blessing.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON

You've irrationally hated Hunwick since preseason and now that he's being universally praised you're resorting to unreasonable claims, like he doesn't play defence at an NHL level? Are you kidding me?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad